Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Misc. Thoughts: Cowboys
okay, now......
  • Silver Lining:  I think a lot of us have been on good teams that laid an egg or two  -- there is one I recall where my soccer team lost one game in the entire season, got blown out in it, by a team that did not even make the state's playoffs.  Funny, how an entire team can simultaneously play poorly.  I see this as such a game and as an opportunity for growth by the team.  I am really not bothered by being blown out -- in my mind it is better then losing a close game -- much more chance to teach and build character.
  • Coaching: All the coaches had a really bad day.  Again, I am hoping that KOC uses this to evaluate his dependence on seven step drops and maybe incorporate some more quick crossing routes etc. (they had better with Darrisaw out).  I am hoping the defense also starts to create more confusion for opposing quarterbacks.  My biggest worry on Thanksgiving is they give Mac Jones an opportunity to find a groove.  To me, Thursday is more important for the coaching than the players.
  • Patriots:  Thursday is a flip of yesterday's game -- Patriots are coming off an emotional unexpected victory (like the Vikings against the Bills) and the Vikings have been embarrassed (like the Cowboys giving up the victory against the Packers).
  • Booth:   When drafted I thought Booth had real DB swagger -- where has it gone?  Such a weak link that the Cowboys went to again and again.  The Vikings made no adjustment.
  • OT:  Perhaps the worst game by the offensive tackles in recent memory. 
  • Screen Game:  Say what you will but the one place the offense has become worse than last year is in the screen game.  Also, I can't recall a legit draw in a while.  Both of these will be needed agains the Patriot is the the Vikes trot out a back-up left tackle and guard.
To summarize, I think the Patriots game will say more about this team than the Cowboys game.

Well stated as usual.  

I agree on the coaching.  KOC needs to find some comfort in the run game.  I get his confidence in the offense, but he needs to not put so much on the O-line against a fierce d-line.  Run the ball, wear them out, then throw deep.  

But yes, we shall see how the coaches respond this game.  Might be good that it is a quick turn around, no time to overthink.

4 day turn around is tough, for players and coaches. 

People are gonna freak if they have 2 losses in a row and even more so with 2 bad losses. 

The big pix is get healthy and get hot when it counts most. 

September is for show and December for dough $$$ and that's a week away. 

Heard JJ saying they are working on plays for this week on getting rid of the ball quicker and short quick routes, it is kind of concerning as to why they did not make that adjustment last week and just kept running the same standard drop plays.  

Watching SF last night it really stood out to me the number of short drop quick passes they have designed for Jimmy G, a lot of their plays are quick hitters and they avoid having a lot of plays where he is just sitting in a deep pocket.  Maybe that is why Shanahan wanted Cousins, cause his offense is perfect for him.  

Quote: @JR44 said:
Heard JJ saying they are working on plays for this week on getting rid of the ball quicker and short quick routes, it is kind of concerning as to why they did not make that adjustment last week and just kept running the same standard drop plays.  

Watching SF last night it really stood out to me the number of short drop quick passes they have designed for Jimmy G, a lot of their plays are quick hitters and they avoid having a lot of plays where he is just sitting in a deep pocket.  Maybe that is why Shanahan wanted Cousins, cause his offense is perfect for him.  
This is good news and bad. Good that they're working on it. Bad that they didn't already have a group of plays to turn to in case they struggled with protection. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@JR44 said:

This is good news and bad. Good that they're working on it. Bad that they didn't already have a group of plays to turn to in case they struggled with protection. 
I think KOC has a bit too much esteem in his offensive play calls.  Most coaches that reach that level are going to have some bit of confidence in themselves, but KOC needs to dial his back a bit.

Quote: @greediron said:
@MaroonBells said:
@JR44 said:

I think KOC has a bit too much esteem in his offensive play calls.  Most coaches that reach that level are going to have some bit of confidence in themselves, but KOC needs to dial his back a bit.
not sure why he would be overly confident in his play calls since this is the first year he has had play calling duties IIRC.

Quote: @greediron said:
@MaroonBells said:
@JR44 said:

this is a good point.  i almost have the feeling that KOC is scripting plays for the entire game and not the first quarter. 

he finally ran a little more earlier in the game on first and second down, but he still has refused to run on 3rd and short/medium. Maybe he doesnt think he has the personnel.  i think there was one jet sweep on 3rd and medium, otherwise it as been KC in shotgun 

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@greediron said:
@MaroonBells said:
@JR44 said:

not sure why he would be overly confident in his play calls since this is the first year he has had play calling duties IIRC.
I really think he is learning on the job, highly doubt he's overconfident in his ability to call a game. 

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@greediron said:
@MaroonBells said:
@JR44 said:

Maybe because he is an NFL head coach.  I haven't met any personally, but I would assume it takes some confidence (misplaced or justified) to get to the highest level.