Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The coin toss
OK, this is a little trivial, but for years I wondered why more teams don't defer when they win the coin toss. It seems like a big advantage to be on defense first, let the opponent's offense struggle through their jitters (especially at US Bank), then time it so you score before the half and then get the ball to start the 3rd quarter. A free possession. 

So I looked it up. Can't find it now, but 10-ish years ago, over 90% of coin toss winners elected to receive. That number now is almost reversed, with 80% of teams now electing to defer.

If I had one complaint about our coaching staff, it was that we constantly seem to take the football to start the game. Why?  Surely, all the data points to deferring. What are they thinking? So I looked that up too. Truth is, the Vikings have lost the coin toss five games in a row now. And each opponent elected to defer. 

Vikings start getting the coin toss right, watch out! LOL

KOC was asked about taking the ball vs deferring and he said he wants to likes the O out there and let them put points on the board first to set the tone of the game.... also by taking a kick off you are almost assured of good starting field position for your first offensive possession,  where as if you put our bend dont break D out there its a lot more likely to end up starting our first offensive possession inside our own 20 or worse, which limits the play book and leads to more 3 and outs which is a bad way to start a game.  I understand the philosophy you are talking about, but since our O is the stronger side of the ball... I think let them loose right away and set the tone of the game,  they dont need more possessions in a game,  they just need to score on more of the possessions that they do get.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
KOC was asked about taking the ball vs deferring and he said he wants to likes the O out there and let them put points on the board first to set the tone of the game.... also by taking a kick off you are almost assured of good starting field position for your first offensive possession,  where as if you put our bend dont break D out there its a lot more likely to end up starting our first offensive possession inside our own 20 or worse, which limits the play book and leads to more 3 and outs which is a bad way to start a game.  I understand the philosophy you are talking about, but since our O is the stronger side of the ball... I think let them loose right away and set the tone of the game,  they dont need more possessions in a game,  they just need to score on more of the possessions that they do get.
I thought I'd heard something about that too, but in all 8 games we've played, the team who won the toss elected to defer, as we did against Philly and Detroit, the only two times we won the toss. Just something to think about. 

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
I thought I'd heard something about that too, but in all 8 games we've played, the team who won the toss elected to defer, as we did against Philly and Detroit, the only two times we won the toss. Just something to think about. 
was probably just saying what he said to make himself feel better for having such shit luck on a coin flip.