Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DACA...
IMO; good intentions/ easily abused. I'd like to see it evolved, but not crushed. 

Abused how?

Congress passes laws to control immigration.  It should not be controlled by EOs.  Those could change every 4 years.  Time for Congress to do their jobs, create and pass laws. 

Quote: @Bezerker88 said:
Congress passes laws to control immigration.  It should not be controlled by EOs.  Those could change every 4 years.  Time for Congress to do their jobs, create and pass laws. 
I think it would be factual to say that Congress HAS passed laws re: immigration.  It was the EO of our last president who undermined those laws.  Frankly, I don't care much one way or the other what we do with immigration; but I care alot about following whatever laws have been passed.  That's the biggest problem I have the current immigration "situation": people's feelings are trumping the actual laws.  If you don't like the laws, work to get them changed- not disobeyed.  "Undocumented" citizens is a blatant lie (through misrepresentation).  They are not citizens.  they are not "documented" because they are here illegally.  

Trump undid a wrong done by Obama through an EO.  Irregardless of where you stand on the Dreamers their ability to stay or leave the country should be bill introduced in the halls of congress.  Not some dude with a pen and a phone. 

Here is a very relevant yet old SNL skit that came out around the same time that Obama did his little EO

Here's how I see it:

Our previous liar-in-chief stated that just overriding congress and making the law was illegal...but then, he did it anyway.

Our current blabbering BSer just threw congress under many, many buses...and deservedly, because they've accomplished nothing on this matter for way too many years.  If they make some kind of compromise and it results in a legit law, they can look heroic.  If Trump has to "revisit" the issue in March, he can call them out as the bickering traitors that they are.

As far as regular citizens go, this is a huge opportunity: put energy into calling/emailing representatives instead of just bitching on social media, and make them actually do their fuggin' jobs.

Quote: @pumpf said:
@Bezerker88 said:
I think it would be factual to say that Congress HAS passed laws re: immigration.  It was the EO of our last president who undermined those laws.  Frankly, I don't care much one way or the other what we do with immigration; but I care alot about following whatever laws have been passed.  That's the biggest problem I have the current immigration "situation": people's feelings are trumping the actual laws.  If you don't like the laws, work to get them changed- not disobeyed.  "Undocumented" citizens is a blatant lie (through misrepresentation).  They are not citizens.  they are not "documented" because they are here illegally.  
Hey pumpf,

Two questions:

Yes, Congress has passed some immigration laws but I'm not sure they've passed anything in terms of comprehensive immigration reform, I did a quick search and didn't find much.  Can you give some examples?

Yes, laws exist for a reason and yes, the over 800,000 so-named "dreamer's" are here without proper documentation by virtue of being brought here at a young age by their parents.  The US is the only home they know.  They work, attend college, even serve in the US military.  Some have had children of their own. Do you have a proposed solution that addresses both the legal statute while also serving their needs?