Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The 2018 Draft
I don't know if anyone remembers this, but in the 2018 draft, it was widely rumored that the Vikings wanted center Frank Ragnow. He was a Chanhassen grad and grew up a huge Viking fan. And they planned to take him with their pick late in the 1st round.

Many thought that was too early. He was considered by most to be a 2nd rounder, but someone who was rising. And besides, what were the Vikings thinking? They had just taken Pat Elflein in the 3rd round the year before (this was back when many still thought Elflein was good). To others, it suggested that the Vikings were more than willing to move him to guard. 

To the surprise of everyone, Ragnow was taken by the Lions at #20...and the Vikings took Mike Hughes at 30. Ragnow is now an All Pro center for Detroit and highest paid center in the NFL. 

And Mike Hughes? After an injury-plagued couple of seasons in Minnesota, then a one-year stint in KC, he's now the nickel for the...wait for it....Detroit Lions. 

Interesting, sounds a little like JJ and Reagor.  Hughes better not get a pick six on Sunday.  I apologize in advance for bringing it up. B)

I actually don't remember hearing about our love of Ragnow and because Elflein looked at least serviceable as a rookie I was not looking at Center but OG/OT.  I was a big fan of the 2nd round pick of O'Neill and predicted he would be starting his rookie year and he did.  Hughes was a surprise pick from my thought process.  But looking at who was remaining at 30 I probably would have taken Will Hernandez because he was remaining, I really like Isiah Wynn (good but often injured) but the Pats drafted him way ahead of us.

Hernandez was a fan favorite but then Geoff talked about him not being a scheme fit so I jumped off his bandwagon.  That said I probably would have taken him because Wynn was gone.  He is an overall miss for the putrid Giants OL. 

Oh well, good looking back and reflecting on what I would have done - Hernandez and O'Neill - so similar overall results 1 hit and 1 miss.    

That year lot of center guard types suppose to be taken in early second round, but one of them got drafted in first and then it started a run on them and all where gone when Vikings pick came up.

Many, many stories like this in the big city of the NFL. 

I remember being on the Ragnow band wagon.  Nice side story aside,  I wanted us to be loading up on OL talent across the board and he fit the bill.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
I remember being on the Ragnow band wagon.  Nice side story aside,  I wanted us to be loading up on OL talent across the board and he fit the bill.
I remember watching that draft and thought the Vikings had a really good chance of getting Ragnow or any good offensive lineman at their pick   Then, after I guess the first 8-10 picks went off the board, there was a mad rush of every team ahead of us taking an offensive lineman.  By the time the Viking had their pick, there were none left.

Quote: @"ArizonaViking" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
I remember watching that draft and thought the Vikings had a really good chance of getting Ragnow or any good offensive lineman at their pick   Then, after I guess the first 8-10 picks went off the board, there was a mad rush of every team ahead of us taking an offensive lineman.  By the time the Viking had their pick, there were none left.

Will Hernández would have fit the bill.

You win some, you lose some 

Quote: @"HappyViking" said:
Interesting, sounds a little like JJ and Reagor.  Hughes better not get a pick six on Sunday.  I apologize in advance for bringing it up. B)
Just like last week, everyone was crowing about JJ and Reagor.  Humble pie.

This week, Detroit was lauded for Ragnow and Hughes.  But where was Hughes on Sunday?  Watching  KJ Score.