Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Analyzing those draft day moves; early on edition...
Quote: @PurpleCrush said:
@MaroonBells said:
@PurpleCrush said:
@MaroonBells said:
@PurpleCrush said:
@purplefaithful said:Jurgens is a good player, a stout 6-3, 290 pounds, and the 51st overall pick in the draft. 
A "stout" 6'3, 290 pounds you say? Garrett Bradbury laughs at your little, tiny center.
That raised my eyebrows as well. But one of the big misconceptions about Bradbury is that he's undersized. He might be underpowered, he might be under a lot of things, but there are at least a dozen centers who are lighter than he is, including a handful of all pros. 
Correct. Isn't Bradbury about the same height, weighing in around 305 or so? 
Yeah, at the combine he measured 6-3, 306. By comparison, 5 time All Pro Jason Kelce is 6-3, 295. All Pro Corey Linsley is 6-3, 296. Again, Bradbury might be underpowered, I don't know, but there are a lot of very good centers smaller than him. 
He was also a former wrestler I believe, and put up 34 reps at the combine. It really surprises me that he's struggled so much in his career. With his pedigree he should be much better. I wonder if having played with a lackluster group around him stunted his development. 
The ones with wrestling backgrounds usually do very well in the NFL. Of course the Vikings have one that isn't, lol. 

"Bradbury was originally a tight end at NC State before moving to the offensive line in 2015. As a senior in 2018, he was a consensus All-American and won the Rimington Trophy.[2][3] He did not allow a single quarterback sack in over 900 snaps in 2018.[4]"

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@PurpleCrush said:
@MaroonBells said:
@PurpleCrush said:
@MaroonBells said:
@PurpleCrush said:
@purplefaithful said:Jurgens is a good player, a stout 6-3, 290 pounds, and the 51st overall pick in the draft. 
A "stout" 6'3, 290 pounds you say? Garrett Bradbury laughs at your little, tiny center.
That raised my eyebrows as well. But one of the big misconceptions about Bradbury is that he's undersized. He might be underpowered, he might be under a lot of things, but there are at least a dozen centers who are lighter than he is, including a handful of all pros. 
Correct. Isn't Bradbury about the same height, weighing in around 305 or so? 
Yeah, at the combine he measured 6-3, 306. By comparison, 5 time All Pro Jason Kelce is 6-3, 295. All Pro Corey Linsley is 6-3, 296. Again, Bradbury might be underpowered, I don't know, but there are a lot of very good centers smaller than him. 
He was also a former wrestler I believe, and put up 34 reps at the combine. It really surprises me that he's struggled so much in his career. With his pedigree he should be much better. I wonder if having played with a lackluster group around him stunted his development. 
You might be onto something there. The likes of Elflein, Dozier, Samia, Udoh certainly didn't help him much. It seems a foregone conclusion that he won't be back next year, but with the best guards he's ever played with next to him this year, if he can scratch and claw his way up to "league average," I'll be happy. 

Same. We have what appears to be 4 long term starters among the rest of the line. I would imagine they'll get better as the season goes on and they develop better chemistry. It would be nice if he could at least get to being a league average starter. If so, he might even be worth a relatively cheap extension to provide continuity. Not going to hold my breath, but we can always dream.

https://nflcombineresults.com/playerpage.php?i=27382

Some good items from his combine, which also shows how he compares to others with similar athletic profiles.

Quote: @PurpleCrush said:
https://nflcombineresults.com/playerpage.php?i=27382

Some good items from his combine, which also shows how he compares to others with similar athletic profiles.
athletic profile looks very good - except for arm length 27% percentile.  Could that be reason he gets pushed back or outmuscled so much?  I am a big proponent of arm length but usually focus on that at Tackle position.  For example, I rated Darrisaw slightly ahead of Slater two years ago because Darrisaw had the longer arms/reach.  Both look to be studs but my thought/question is does Bradburrys short arms really get him overpowered when most of his athletic profile is 80+% percentile?  I am now curious about how arm length affects the Center position and I never really thought about it before.