Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What do you think of the starting D-linemen in the 3-4?
Love the Phillips signing with his run stopping ability. I watched some tape on him when he came over and he’s outstanding in that regard. He’s exactly what I would look for.

I actually thought Tomlinson was very good last year and consider him one of the underrated players on the team when it comes to the fans view of him. He should be good. He has a well balanced skill set. 
Watts is the one I’m not too confident in. He was very good rushing the passer last year, but I felt he was below average/not starter performance against the run. I’m hoping he makes a big leap at the new spot. We’ll see if anyone can take his job though before the season kicks off. 

I think the behind the scenes thinking by the staff is once the D gels, it could be really good. Might take a few games. Tough game for Minnesota to start the season out with, but it is what it is. I'm sure fans won't overreact with a loss.

[Image: elissa-slater-big-brother.gif]

Phillips looks quick, disruptive but disciplined.

Watts flashed a few times but meh.  

Tomlinson I have no idea.  

On paper our Front 3 look pretty spotty IMO

Quote: @SFVikeFan said:
Phillips looks quick, disruptive but disciplined.

Watts flashed a few times but meh.  

Tomlinson I have no idea.  

On paper our Front 3 look pretty spotty IMO
I don't think anyone would accuse Tomlinson of being elite, but you can win with DLs like him. He's consistent. Played 5 seasons, never once had a PFF grade below 75. Couple marks over 80. Never hurt. Started 16 games all 5 seasons. And he's only 28. 

In that, he's a bit like Cousins. He won't take over games, but you put talent around him and he'll thrive. 

Horrible Harry is not so...um...horrible. This is badass. 

https://twitter.com/LukeBraunNFL/status/...95584?s=20&t=Zeu4JhGUo1y7UV5WHM9Apw

Yeah I saw Phillips causing lots of problems for the Raiders while he was in briefly. Nice find Maroon.

To the OP, I feel good about Watts, Tomlinson, and Phillips up front.  Our front 7 should be pretty formidable this year.  The player I'm most worried about is Kendricks...  he needed big boys up front to keep him clean and let him hunt in Zimmer's defense.  Not sure if he'll be as effective against the run in a 3-4.  We'll see.

3-4 I have no idea if our personnel is good or not??   But we have a ton of changes in systems, coaches and players and as I predicted much earlier this offseason we will have 8 + new starters in our starting Off/Def.   Many folks said we would have a lot less new starters but have come around to the obvious.  We needed a lot of change and we got it.  I didn't think we were a very good team, talent wise, last year.  Coaching wise I had given up on Z years ago.  Shitshow that occurred was not an anomaly - IMO - it had a lot to do with our personnel and HC.  

Our Defense is totally revamped system and player wise.  Even the remaining veterans - Kendricks, Harry, Hunter (healthy), Peterson - one on each level is in a new system and it is not just plug and play results. 

We need to manage expectations and hope this team as a whole can grow together and play better as the season goes on.  With all that is new I expect a lot of penalties, bad decisions, some poor clock management, bad play calls on both sides etc....

But it was more than time for a change so carpe diem fellow SB/Valhalla seekers Smile  

"In Norse mythology Valhalla (/vælˈhælə, vɑːlˈhɑːlə/;[1]) is the anglicised name for Old NorseValhǫll ("hall of the slain").[2] It is described as a majestic hall located in Asgard and presided over by the god Odin. Half of those who die in combat enter Valhalla, while the other half are chosen by the goddess Freyja to reside in Fólkvangr. The masses of those killed in combat (known as the Einherjar) along with various legendary Germanic heroes and kings, live in Valhalla until Ragnarök when they will march out of its many doors to fight in aid of Odin against the giants."

Quote: @minny65 said:
But we have a ton of changes in systems, coaches and players and as I predicted much earlier this offseason we will have 8 + new starters in our starting Off/Def.   Many folks said we would have a lot less new starters but have come around to the obvious.  We needed a lot of change and we got it. 
Curious where you're getting 8+ new starters. Things could change later in the season, but as it stands right now, I count 3 new starters on defense and 1 on offense. We added Hicks and Z to the LBs and Phillips to the DL. On offense, we added Ed Ingram. Everywhere else has the same presumptive starter as we had before free agency and the draft.

Will some rookies over at some point during the season? Maybe. Booth probably at some point. But I think Cine will have a very hard time supplanting Bynum.

It seems as if you're trying to retrofit reality into your belief that we should've torn the whole thing down. You can't possibly still believe that was the right move, do you? 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@minny65 said:
But we have a ton of changes in systems, coaches and players and as I predicted much earlier this offseason we will have 8 + new starters in our starting Off/Def.   Many folks said we would have a lot less new starters but have come around to the obvious.  We needed a lot of change and we got it. 
Curious where you're getting 8+ new starters. Things could change later in the season, but as it stands right now, I count 3 new starters on defense and 1 on offense. We added Hicks and Z to the LBs and Phillips to the DL. On offense, we added Ed Ingram. Everywhere else has the same presumptive starter as we had before free agency and the draft.

Will some rookies over at some point during the season? Maybe. Booth probably at some point. But I think Cine will have a very hard time supplanting Bynum.

It seems as if you're trying to retrofit reality into your belief that we should've torn the whole thing down. You can't possibly still believe that was the right move, do you? 
From the starting roster last year not after the season or this offseason.  I think you are the one retrofitting but we disagreed on the number of new starters from the get-go so maybe you were thinking I'm not talking about guys like Watts, Bynum, Danztler, Smith, etc... but I tried clarifying in our discussions, but you wanted to stick with how loaded our roster was if not for a few injuries or bad breaks/coaching.  

Once again we disagree, not a problem, that is what the board is for to see other perspectives on our aligned favorite team!