Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RIP Vin Scully
Scully, more than anyone else, was the sound of my early Vikings childhood. Seemed like when the Vikings were on TV Sunday mornings it was Scully announcing. Loved him, and games felt odd or out of place if it was someone else. Didn't even know he was the Dodgers announcer until years later. 

I live in LA and watch the Dodgers nightly, it never felt like summer without Vin's voice going through the house, even if I wasn't actively watching the game, it was on as Vin calling the game was like listening to music as it was just so pure, effortlessness and genuine. What was even more inspiring about him was that he was even a better person, his character and ethics were meticulous, he was a great family man and was incredibly humble for someone who was such a legend.

To me the Gibson HR is the best call ever in sports, you could not have scripted it better, most announcers would have been going crazy and unable to control themselves, but he made the HR call and then just sat back and let it play out and then somehow makes this incredibly quote which was chilling and then just goes silent so you can take it all in, just vintage Vin, not many announcers could have handled that moment. 

Quote: @JR44 said:
I live in LA and watch the Dodgers nightly, it never felt like summer without Vin's voice going through the house, even if I wasn't actively watching the game, it was on as Vin calling the game was like listening to music as it was just so pure, effortlessness and genuine. What was even more inspiring about him was that he was even a better person, his character and ethics were meticulous, he was a great family man and was incredibly humble for someone who was such a legend.

To me the Gibson HR is the best call ever in sports, you could not have scripted it better, most announcers would have been going crazy and unable to control themselves, but he made the HR call and then just sat back and let it play out and then somehow makes this incredibly quote which was chilling and then just goes silent so you can take it all in, just vintage Vin, not many announcers could have handled that moment. 

while a great call in itself by a great announcer... I dont think it can hold a candle to Jack Bucks "and we'll see you tomorrow night"  the situation being extra innings in a potentially world series ending game... walk off homer... Puckett,  that is impossible to top and the line he dropped right there was an instant classic.

The greatest baseball announcer ever. I close my eyes and can hear him so eloquently calling Dodger games. R.I.P. Vin

He was great in the movies too!

I had no idea he made so many iconic calls.  Gibson, Don Larsen's perfect game, Hank Aaron breaking Ruth's record, The Catch.  What a legend.

RIP