Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
An OL perspective...
OutlookWhen new general manager Kwesi Adofo-Mensah was first asked about the state of the team's offensive line this offseason, he focused on the positive. "Thankful that you have two really good tackles," he said. "As for the interior, we love Ezra." That was before the Vikings front office retooled the annual competition at guard in free agency, signing veterans Davis and Reed while adding Ingram in the draft's second round out of LSU. The interior line remains the big question mark. New management chose to reinforce the guard options next to struggling center Garrett Bradbury instead of replacing him. O'Neill, who turns 27 in September, remains the group's leader and a key mentor for Darrisaw as the 2021 first-round pick enters his second season.
Top CompetitionRight guard. As the guard carousel turns at TCO Performance Center, the Vikings are all but certain to start an 18th different guard since 2016. Last year's starter, Udoh, spent much of the spring at his old position at tackle, where he could help replace Hill as the swing option. Replacing Udoh at right guard could be either Davis, who started 72 games at guard and tackle for the Dolphins, or Reed, who has 29 career starts for four teams. Ingram is also in the mix, but he worked with the second-team offense throughout the spring offseason program.
Player to WatchBradbury. To no one's surprise, the Vikings declined an expensive fifth-year optionin Bradbury's contract this spring. That means the 2019 first-round pick is entering the final year of his rookie deal with much to prove. In June, Bradbury lauded a more cohesive environment among the health, strength and nutrition staffs, which he's leaning on to help transform his body and form a sturdier anchor in front of quarterback Kirk Cousins. Bradbury said he's adding weight to get back above 300 pounds. He is also said to be in a better place mentally after admitting a complacency last season that came before a brief benching. His primary backup could be Reed, who worked at guard and center this spring.
One Big QuestionWill Kevin O'Connell's offense further help the line? The proliferation of play-action bootlegs in the Kubiak-driven Vikings offense boosted a beleaguered line. Adofo-Mensah and O'Connell arrived saying the new playbook can do even more to put offensive linemen in advantageous spots. NFL Network analyst Daniel Jeremiah agreed this spring, saying O'Connell's Vikings "won't be as offensive-line dependent as maybe some other teams," pointing to the Rams-centric misdirection, quick throws and throwing on early downs to stay out of long third downs. O'Connell also brought up changes for Bradbury: "It's just been a matter of finding the right fit for him and the right system," the coach said. "And what are you asking him to do snap in and snap out that gives him the best possible chance for success?"
https://www.startribune.com/vikings-trai...600193060/

Vikings really like their starting OTs and LG. This talk about Bradbury being heavier doesn't mean anything to me....personally, I've seen enough of him to realize he's not the answer. Can he get incrementally better? I guess its possible for 2022. But not probable. RG looks like it'll probably be a placeholder for Ingram until when he's finally ready....might not be game 1. But he's a 2nd round pick so he needs to be starting by year's end. 

I'm not a Bradbury believer either. We'll see if they use him in ways that help the offense and put him in an advantageous position.

It would be a huge deal if the coaches could pull that one off. 

What we as a collective dont talk about much is Darrisaw...Can't take the 2nd year kid for granted and we need to hope he continues to improve (and stay healthy) this year. Its a top 5 issue imo for the entire team

Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:

What we as a collective dont talk about much is Darrisaw...Can't take the 2nd year kid for granted and we need to hope he continues to improve (and stay healthy) this year. Its a top 5 issue imo for the entire team
I think Darrisaw is going to kick ass this year. No worries about him from my perspective.

They need a new center, that along with the obvious need at RG. Unfortunately I believe we're stuck with Bradbury at least for this year.

Why'd Bradbury wait 2 years to do this, he showed it  was needed after his rookie year?

Bradbury. To no one's surprise, the Vikings declined an expensive fifth-year optionin Bradbury's contract this spring. That means the 2019 first-round pick is entering the final year of his rookie deal with much to prove. In June, Bradbury lauded a more cohesive environment among the health, strength and nutrition staffs, which he's leaning on to help transform his body and form a sturdier anchor in front of quarterback Kirk Cousins. Bradbury said he's adding weight to get back above 300 pounds 

There are 2 parts of his game that I think he win with , his smarts  and  the quickness of his feet by beating a Dlineman to a spot. 

For that to work he needs 2 road grading Guards next to him. If the new staff pulls this off it'd be hella impressive.

Going toe to toe or pushing the pile aren't in his wheel house.