Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Back to school
As Cousins enters his 11th NFL season — fifth with the Vikings — he does so with yet another new offensive coaching staff and playbook that also requires him to learn another football language with which to communicate. This spring, the veteran has embraced being back in school under rookie head coach Kevin O'Connell.
His homework involves flash cards, which help him study the Rams-like offense.
"Trying to memorize plays and terms and formations and protections," Cousins said. "You feel like an eighth-grader studying for a quiz in school the next day the way you go home each night and study."
Cousins has grown accustomed to change. O'Connell will be Cousins' seventh different play caller in as many seasons. The last coach to call plays for a Cousins-led offense in back-to-back seasons was then-Washington offensive coordinator Sean McVay in 2015-16.
"This is the first time really since 2014 when Jay Gruden was hired and then back in 2012 when I was a rookie coming from Michigan State to Kyle Shanahan's offense," Cousins said. "Those were the only other two times in my career where I truly felt like I was learning it from scratch. I guess you could also say coming here in 2018 as well."
https://www.startribune.com/vikings-quar...600176185/

O'Connell will often be calling more than one play in Cousins' headset. To shorten those play calls for Cousins, some of the receivers' responsibilities and adjustments will be unspoken. They'll have to know how to adjust their splits — or pre-snap alignments — and pick up on other changes through code words based on which play the Vikings settle into before the snap. That can take a little off the quarterback's plate.
"We're not going to just spell it out [in the huddle] and have the longest play calls known to man," Phillips said. "Everything is coded. Everything's got the ability to get up to the line of scrimmage and go fast, and ultimately that's what we want so we can put pressure on the defense when we choose."
Another change for Cousins is the atmosphere at work. Tensions were high, especially last year, as former General Manager Rick Spielman and head coach Mike Zimmer entered a must-win season to keep their jobs. In his opening remarks Tuesday, Cousins mentioned the "fun" of being at practice and learning from mistakes in a new offense.
He sidestepped questions about differences from the Zimmer regime, saying he has always felt a level of tension in wanting to play well.
"You always have a deep care and concern for what you're doing and as a result you feel that tension in a good way," Cousins said. "I don't think that will ever go away and I think it's never needed to come from a coach. I think it's something that comes from within to put a high standard on your performance."

Well he does have that "Aw shucks Biff " Mcfly look about him and his dance moves are right out of Middle School