Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cringey
Patterson had 25 catches in 8 games in 2014 going into the Washington game, had a bad day (something like 1 for 7 on targets with a couple botched routes) and got doghoused.  Last 7 games: 11 targets, 7 catches, 76 yards. 

Combination of Patterson not learning the routes well enough, the Vikings not knowing how to use his strengths correctly (he ran like a bigger Pervy Harvin), and a HC with a quick hook and a vindictive streak.

I keep hearing this narrative that the Vikings didn't use Patterson 'right'. What team did? None is the answer because the guy is not the sharpest knife in the drawer. That was his rep coming out. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
I keep hearing this narrative that the Vikings didn't use Patterson 'right'. What team did? None is the answer because the guy is not the sharpest knife in the drawer. That was his rep coming out. 
Both options are true.  Patterson wasn't worth the #29 pick or a team's real #1 WR.  That said, the Patriots and Falcons have both gotten more out of him than the Vikings did.  A more flexible OC and less vindictive HC might have made him less of a disappointment here than he was.

Quote: @RS Express said:
@StickyBun said:
Both options are true.  Patterson wasn't worth the #29 pick or a team's real #1 WR.  That said, the Patriots and Falcons have both gotten more out of him than the Vikings did.  A more flexible OC and less vindictive HC might have made him less of a disappointment here than he was.
Or perhaps he just finally grew up and started working on his craft.  I remember his rookie year he did an interview and he wanted to talk about fashion or some such shit.  It just want his focus when he was here it seemed.

Quote: @StickyBun said:
The Patriots did, though it was short-lived. The Falcons certainly did. Until his 6th season in New England, Patterson's snaps wide outnumbered his snaps in the backfield. Everyone, including the Vikings, kept trying to make him a WR.

Last year we saw what he was capable of, not as a WR lined up in the backfield, but as a RB. 1200 total yards and 11 TDs. And that's not including KR yards. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@StickyBun said:
The Patriots did, though it was short-lived. The Falcons certainly did. Until his 6th season in New England, Patterson's snaps wide outnumbered his snaps in the backfield. Everyone, including the Vikings, kept trying to make him a WR.

Last year we saw what he was capable of, not as a WR lined up in the backfield, but as a RB. 1200 total yards and 11 TDs. And that's not including KR yards. 
From a production standpoint, the only team that did was last year's Falcons. Can't sneeze at 11 TDs. But other than last year, his second best season of total yards from scrimmage was his first season in Minnesota. He also has 7 TDs from running and catching that rookie year. Nobody used him 'right' because you really can't.

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@pattersaur said:
@MaroonBells said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:
Over his career Patterson was a 4X 1st team All Pro, 3X 2nd team All Pro, 4X Pro Bowler, and member of the All Decade team. The Vikings, with just a little bit more imagination, could've used him better. 
Seems to me they tried,   he just wasnt bright enough or focused enough at the time to pick up what they were trying to teach him.  He was more focused on his off field endeavors or other.

Remember he was supposed to go work with a receiver coach ( Irvin? ) one off season and instead went to some muscle camp?  

KR isn't a big enough part of the game imo to get all excited over all pro or pro bowl honors, and without his KR abilities nobody would know his name, and likely wouldn't be in the league any more.  If Rick had spent all that capital on a TE that never panned out at his position,   but somehow turned into an all pro long snapper,  would he be considered a bust?  IMO yes.
No, they didn't. They kept trying to turn him into a downfield receiver. They should've continued to use him as a weapon out of the backfield. His two best seasons by far were his rookie season and last year, where most of his production came out of the backfield. About 1800 yards and 18 TDs in those two seasons combined, not counting kick off returns. These were really the only two seasons where he was used properly.
Jimmy makes good points but I still would not label him a bust. He was great his rookie year and then for whatever reason landed in the doghouse and couldn’t get out. Other coaches and other teams tried and failed to help him reach his full potential also, so I don’t fully blame Zimmer either.

I always liked CPatt though and was happy to see him do so well in Atlanta last year. Definitely not a bust, just kind of an odd case. 

Back to Rick— I agree with I think Greed who said OL and QB were his downfall. Think how much different the past 10 years look for this team with a top tier QB OR a rock solid OL. Easier said than done but in addition to the behind the scenes stuff, QB and OL are what cooked his goose. 
No, obviously not a bust. A bust is a player that is never able to start or contribute much and is out of the NFL in 5 or 6 years. The number of busts taken in the 1st round since Patterson was drafted is probably in the hundreds. He's not one. 

Patterson has played for a decade and been 1st team All Pro 4 times. A disappointment? Sure. A miss? Meh. But certainly not a bust. 
My point exactly. Busts don't play in the NFL for a decade and especially a starting spot.

Quote: @greediron said:
@MaroonBells said:
@pattersaur said:
@MaroonBells said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:
Over his career Patterson was a 4X 1st team All Pro, 3X 2nd team All Pro, 4X Pro Bowler, and member of the All Decade team. The Vikings, with just a little bit more imagination, could've used him better. 
Seems to me they tried,   he just wasnt bright enough or focused enough at the time to pick up what they were trying to teach him.  He was more focused on his off field endeavors or other.

Remember he was supposed to go work with a receiver coach ( Irvin? ) one off season and instead went to some muscle camp?  

KR isn't a big enough part of the game imo to get all excited over all pro or pro bowl honors, and without his KR abilities nobody would know his name, and likely wouldn't be in the league any more.  If Rick had spent all that capital on a TE that never panned out at his position,   but somehow turned into an all pro long snapper,  would he be considered a bust?  IMO yes.
No, they didn't. They kept trying to turn him into a downfield receiver. They should've continued to use him as a weapon out of the backfield. His two best seasons by far were his rookie season and last year, where most of his production came out of the backfield. About 1800 yards and 18 TDs in those two seasons combined, not counting kick off returns. These were really the only two seasons where he was used properly.
Jimmy makes good points but I still would not label him a bust. He was great his rookie year and then for whatever reason landed in the doghouse and couldn’t get out. Other coaches and other teams tried and failed to help him reach his full potential also, so I don’t fully blame Zimmer either.

I always liked CPatt though and was happy to see him do so well in Atlanta last year. Definitely not a bust, just kind of an odd case. 

Back to Rick— I agree with I think Greed who said OL and QB were his downfall. Think how much different the past 10 years look for this team with a top tier QB OR a rock solid OL. Easier said than done but in addition to the behind the scenes stuff, QB and OL are what cooked his goose. 
No, obviously not a bust. A bust is a player that is never able to start or contribute much and is out of the NFL in 5 or 6 years. The number of busts taken in the 1st round since Patterson was drafted is probably in the hundreds. He's not one. 

Patterson has played for a decade and been 1st team All Pro 4 times. A disappointment? Sure. A miss? Meh. But certainly not a bust. 
My point exactly. Busts don't play in the NFL for a decade and especially a starting spot.
well he was for the Vikings,  they never got the value of what they put into him so IMO that is a busted draft pick.  

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@greediron said:
@MaroonBells said:
@pattersaur said:
@MaroonBells said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:

well he was for the Vikings,  they never got the value of what they put into him so IMO that is a busted draft pick.  
Million dollar body, 10 cent head.  He wasn't worth the pick, but he wasn't a bust.

Quote: @greediron said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@greediron said:
@MaroonBells said:
@pattersaur said:
@MaroonBells said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:

Million dollar body, 10 cent head.  He wasn't worth the pick, but he wasn't a bust.
I would label any first round pick that you dont offer a second contract to as a busted pick.  Bradbury may go onto a long career somewhere,   but unless something changes drastically in the next year I would say he's getting the same label from me.   I dont care what happens on other teams,  for my team that's a bust.