Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Draftniks: any chance Vikes would take Jordan Davis?
Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@MarkSP18 said:
Davis would be an excellent pick.  Many Vikings fans have already convinced themselves that the team "needs" to draft a CB. Why?

Dantzler, PP, and Sullivan should play the majority of the snaps in 2021.  Where and when would a rookie CB play?  Would Dantzler be on the bench?  He is probably the best CB right now.

PP & Sullivan are on one year deals but both could return in 2023.

Davis is a monster.  This is what what written in the athletic from coaching "intel" ...

“He’s freakishly different. I’ve seen a lot of big people, but he’s a bit of an athlete, like a super-sized tight end. He’s like a 20 mph guy (on the GPS). He’s got rare burst and can get after the ball. He’s light on his feet and freakishly strong and can really torque and twist.”
“He just ate people up. The guy is not just big in the middle but explosive and can knock back and get penetration. They didn’t allow you to get to the second level.”
... people want to knock him because he did not get sacks and played sparingly but Georgia rotating players on purpose.  I'm not saying he could have handled more but maybe he could?
The dude had a perfect 10 RAS score!

You are just not going to find players of his caliber very often.  He seems to understand his situation and has taken his weight seriously by showing up at the combine at 341.  If he stays around 335 to 345 (max 350), he will probably be fine.  On 3rd downs, he could come off. 

Tomlinson and Watts are free agents in 2023 and Phillips may only see two years of his deal.
They could do a lot worse than Davis in the first round.
https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/jordan-davis 

How many potential special players are in any draft?  2 to 3 maybe, tops,  I get a feeling on Davis that he is one of those guys.  The previous regime tried to outsmart the board their first draft and took Barr over Donald,  barr was a decent players,  but how would that have changed the teams future had they taken Aaron Donald?  I dont know that Davis will be the next Donald,  but I think his potential for greatness is higher than who else will likely be left on the board at 12.  There will always be players that end up having great careers that are taken in the later rounds,  but I think there is so much buzz around Davis's talent it would be hard not to go that route over the 3rd CB or an edge that isn't likely to get much run as a rookie behind hunter and smith.

Davis doesn't have the potential that Aaron Donald had. Donald rushed the passer. Donald beat double and triple teams and made plays like THIS behind the line of scrimmage. In his 4-year career at Georgia, Davis had 11 TFLs. Donald had nearly three times that in his senior year alone. Donald was the best player on every team he played on, including the Senior Bowl. Davis was the 3rd best lineman on his own line. 

That said, I think Davis will have a nice, long career in the NFL as a two-down nose playing 30 snaps a game. And he will shut down the run because you can't move him. And he'll make a couple of Pro Bowls too. But do you take a limited player that high? Maybe. Tampa did. At 12 too. And I think Vita Vea is exactly what his comp is. 
I would be curious to hear what he was asked to do for Georgia,  vs what he could have done for Georgia.  We saw/heard about a lot about Zimmers scheme asking players to do things to help the unit over what they could do to help their own stats.  With Davis's athleticism and power I just have a hard time understanding how he couldnt be much more disruptive than what he has shown in the Georgia defense.
You're probably right. Georgia's front was asked to control gaps more than attack. So all of those guys--Walker, Wyatt and Davis--will probably be more productive pass rushers in the NFL than they were in Athens. 

But there's more to rushing the passer than speed and athleticism. I like him. I don't think he'll bust. But there are a handful of players who could be available at 12 that I'd take ahead of him.