Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kirk in Minnesota long term?
Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"minny65" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
Even with Cousins' $35M cap hit in '21, the Vikings were still somehow able to pay pretty big money to Thielen, O'Neill, Hunter, Tomlinson, Pierce, Griffen, Kendricks, Barr, Harry and Patrick Peterson. I think the impact of paying one player an enormous amount of money is overrated. It's all a game of Monopoly and everybody plays it.

Vikings have a lot of payment due deadlines coming in the next couple of weeks. We'll know exactly what they think of their "window" based on whether these players are restructured or moved.  

I'll bet at least a 1/3 of this roster turns over this year. 
So 7 players? Good God, I hope not! That would mean a rebuild and that the new regime has been lying about what they think of their window. I think if you go down that road, there's really not a good argument for keeping Cousins either. 

I think it's more likely we'll see a couple of surprise cuts and a couple of restructures. But we'll soon find out. 
Agree with roster turnover and that is why I am for a rebuild without Cousins (even if we can get average value).  I think, as diehard fans, we over evaluate our current roster and the new regime will not/fresh eyes and a roster they had no part-in.  Again, I am the Group 2 guy Smile
You know what's funny? I think the opposite is true. I think diehard fans tend to UNDERrate the talent on their roster. And I think they do this mostly because they tend to OVERrate the talent on Super Bowl winning teams, thinking those teams are stacked with stars, when they're just not. In today's NFL, Super Bowl winning depth charts are littered with league average players. 
1/3 of roster or 1/3 of (22) starters equals around 6 or 7 players change.  Also, what starting lineup are we talking about the one in the beginning of the year or the end?  

I am not saying this is what I want to happen but it is not out of the realm of possibility:

Offense: (around 3 without change at QB)

Don't count - No FB/Ham
1 - TE - Conklin - gone to give a healthy Smith another shot
2,3, - possible 2 new interior lineman starters

Defense:

Where are we at with Hunter in terms of $$$ and health?  Is Woonum considered a starter?  Is Griffen going to be brought back again?  Pierce and Tomlinson have been no shows for the most part would we be shocked if either or both are replaced with the new regime?  On the DL alone it is possible we have 4 new starters (going 3-4, so 3 new starters).  

Speaking of 3-4 consider LB - who, other then Kendricks is an essential keeper?  Vigil, Barr, Lynch, Surratt....???  Could see 2 or 3 different starters in the 3-4 at the LB positions.

CB/S/Slot - would anyone cry if PP is not brought back (I want him but who knows)?  What about MacKenzie in the slot?  Is Dantzler a lock?  are we resigning Xavier or are we giving Bynum a shot?

I can see at least 4 or 5 new starters on Defense alone.  Then 2 or 3 on Offense and I think 6 new starters is on the low side with 8+ likely.  

Thus, I consider us in a rebuild and would love to get good value from Kirk to rip the band aide off with more ammo to rebuild.  

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
Even with Cousins' $35M cap hit in '21, the Vikings were still somehow able to pay pretty big money to Thielen, O'Neill, Hunter, Tomlinson, Pierce, Griffen, Kendricks, Barr, Harry and Patrick Peterson. I think the impact of paying one player an enormous amount of money is overrated. It's all a game of Monopoly and everybody plays it.

Vikings have a lot of payment due deadlines coming in the next couple of weeks. We'll know exactly what they think of their "window" based on whether these players are restructured or moved.  

Luke seems to think there's a way to keep everyone, including Barr, AND add Brandon Scherff AND Q. Diggs. Curious to hear how he does this. 

The only way I see this as possible is committing to Cousins long term. That, plus a restructure or two, could result in about $40M in savings. 

Either way, I'm not a fan of the Scherff signing. I'd rather sign a cheap, journeyman center, resign Cole and have him compete with Davis, and then spend that money--and it's big money--on the defense. And Scherff has missed at least five games in each of his last three seasons. 

https://twitter.com/LukeBraunNFL/status/...74146?s=20&t=bW9p2aqY6vD15vkZvxD55Q

Selling the proverbial cap soul by kicking way too much money into the future. Basically, its possible but unrealistic since you just run yourself into future cap issues. 

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:

Luke seems to think there's a way to keep everyone, including Barr, AND add Brandon Scherff AND Q. Diggs. Curious to hear how he does this. 

The only way I see this as possible is committing to Cousins long term. That, plus a restructure or two, could result in about $40M in savings. 

Either way, I'm not a fan of the Scherff signing. I'd rather sign a cheap, journeyman center, resign Cole and have him compete with Davis, and then spend that money--and it's big money--on the defense. And Scherff has missed at least five games in each of his last three seasons. 

https://twitter.com/LukeBraunNFL/status/...74146?s=20&t=bW9p2aqY6vD15vkZvxD55Q

Selling the proverbial cap soul by kicking way too much money into the future. Basically, its possible but unrealistic since you just run yourself into future cap issues. 
Right, but every team does it to one degree or another. Unless you have a QB playing on his first contract, you're can kicking. Unless you have zero players among the best at their position, you're can kicking. 

I think the key is to be somewhat reasonable with it, so you have some flexibility. Because it's about timing...and windows. For example, I think teams who are close, who are in their proverbial "window" are much more willing to push money into future years in order to get a trophy.  

But therein lies the rub. Where are the Minnesota Vikings? Clearly, few of us agree on that. And can we really believe KAM, KOC and the Wilves? I think even a team who intends to rebuild would say they expect to be competitive, so who really knows?