Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cap? What Cap?
In two moves, GB cleared about a third of their cap deficit.

Quote: @JustinTime18™ said:
Yep, but tagging Davante gonna cost em $19MM. Watching this unfold for GB is going to be interesting and you know ESPN is licking their chops for it to start

Quote: @Hawkvike25 said:
@JustinTime18™ said:
Yep, but tagging Davante gonna cost em $19MM. Watching this unfold for GB is going to be interesting and you know ESPN is licking their chops for it to start
They last used the franchise tag in 2010. Not saying they won't here, but it's not something they typically do.

Regardless, it's just further proof that the cap really isn't much of a hurdle to clear if your cap guy is even a little savvy.

Quote: @JustinTime18™ said:
@Hawkvike25 said:
@JustinTime18™ said:
They last used the franchise tag in 2010. Not saying they won't here, but it's not something they typically do.

Regardless, it's just further proof that the cap really isn't much of a hurdle to clear if your cap guy is even a little savvy.
I don't disagree, I just think their 2022 team is going to look a lot different than this years team and that includes losing some high quality players...with or without Aaron back

@JustinTime18™ said:
@Hawkvike25 said:
@JustinTime18™ said:

I don't disagree, I just think their 2022 team is going to look a lot different than this years team and that includes losing some high quality players...with or without Aaron back
really just depends on how far down the road they want to kick that cap hit in order to keep their current playoff window open.  They have a pretty good roster and likely could find a way not only to keep it intact,  but add some needed pieces with a little cap voodoo.  look how long the saints held it together until they finally said fuck it and hit the reset window.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@Hawkvike25 said:
@JustinTime18™ said:
@Hawkvike25 said:
@JustinTime18™ said:

really just depends on how far down the road they want to kick that cap hit in order to keep their current playoff window open.  They have a pretty good roster and likely could find a way not only to keep it intact,  but add some needed pieces with a little cap voodoo.  look how long the saints held it together until they finally said fuck it and hit the reset window.
It'd have to be pretty damn short as they have some guys they need to pay next year so i'm sure that's being taken into account when evaluating what to do with guys currently on the roster.

@JimmyinSD said:
@Hawkvike25 said:
@JustinTime18™ said:
@Hawkvike25 said:
@JustinTime18™ said:

It'd have to be pretty damn short as they have some guys they need to pay next year so i'm sure that's being taken into account when evaluating what to do with guys currently on the roster.
by then they will have identified others that can play current high cap hit positions and make more cap magic.  Maroon is right about one thing,  we (nor any team) are ever as screwed as it looks like.  Its pretty easy for teams that are willing to make it work.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@Hawkvike25 said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Hawkvike25 said:
@JustinTime18™ said:
@Hawkvike25 said:
@JustinTime18™ said:

by then they will have identified others that can play current high cap hit positions and make more cap magic.  Maroon is right about one thing,  we (nor any team) are ever as screwed as it looks like.  Its pretty easy for teams that are willing to make it work.
Oh yeah, no team is ever "screwed" as their cap guy and others within the Front Office are constantly analyzing those numbers. I'm just saying that for Green Bay their team this year is going to look a lot different next year even with Rodgers coming back. Saints were able to be competitive because Cam Jordan only had a $9MM cap hit.

Za'Darius has almost a $28MM cap hit next year and we all know how he was acting in the offseason before the season started. De'Vondre was a diamond in the rough and they likely cant find a way to bring him back so that will hurt. They may extend Preston Smith which will create some space, doubt they cut him especially if they dump Za'Darius. Can't do much with Bakhtiari's deal. Cobb could certainly be a cap casualty, but they you run the risk of having Lazard as your #1. Do they work out a deal with Davante where he's making $10MM in year 1 and then a boatload later?

It can certainly be done, I just think it's going to take a lot of strategy to get the high level guys to stay. Obviously praying it totally backfires and it all blows up Smile