Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spielman on adapting in the Zimmer era
Interesting....

Ryan Longwell on Ben Leber’s podcast says:
He called the Vikings the day after Daniel Carlson’s rough day at Lambeau, noticing it was all mechanical issues that could easily be fixed, offering to help. They never returned his calls that Monday, & Vikings cut Carlson the next day.

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
Interesting....

Ryan Longwell on Ben Leber’s podcast says:
He called the Vikings the day after Daniel Carlson’s rough day at Lambeau, noticing it was all mechanical issues that could easily be fixed, offering to help. They never returned his calls that Monday, & Vikings cut Carlson the next day.

4 years later, and  with what Carlson has since done in Vegas,   Priefer missed it, completely.

Daniel Carlson was cut 1000% by Mike Zimmer. In fact, Zimmer said he considered it an “easy decision”. 
Zimmer did later express something you might call regret on the move. It’s about as close as I’ve ever seen him be to admitting he was wrong. 
“I mean, do I have regrets?” Zimmer said. “I like our kicker who we have now, but did I second guess it? Sure. He’s done great there, and I think he’s a very, very talented kid. I wish him well, just not this week. But no, I’m happy for him and in retrospect, I guess, yeah, I’ve thought about it many times.”

“Some coaches are just, ‘This is what we run, and this is what we have to have, and if they don’t fit this, then I don’t want them.’ - Spielman
This right here! 
Zim was a guy who didn’t want to adapt to anyone’s style of play. With as many OC’s they went through, how do you keep the continuity of it all. I think that’s why Kubiak Jr. was appointed OC after his daddy left. But, only drafting people that fit a specific mold is really tough. You have to pass on certain players who are just better if you’re going to have a coach who won’t adapt to a certain level of talent.

Look at how Jerry Burns reacted to the Herschel Walker trade. He didn’t want to line him up in the I formation, and wanted him to be more like Darrin Nelson, which obviously he wasn’t. Burns hard edge on making Walker fit his offense was ignorant.

According to reports Zimm apparently has a great chance of being the new defensive coordinator in Dallas should
Dan Quinn land a head coaching gig. 

To me that's a pretty lateral move if the Vikings were to hire Quinn 

Quote: @"supafreak84" said:
According to reports Zimm apparently has a great chance of being the new defensive coordinator in Dallas should

I want nothing to do with Quinn. That would be the excitement level of the last few years.

The most interesting part to me was the talk about finding offensive linemen to fit the different schemes that the OC's were running.

“That’s a tough part of the job,” said Spielman. “I think we went through maybe six different [offensive coordinators] during coach Zimmer’s era. …It was constantly like a moving target all the time.

You try to do your best to adapt and the guys that we do have, can you do some things from your scheme to maybe adjust a little bit to their skill set? But when you have the coaching turnover that it is and you’re always trying to marry up the personnel to the scheme, are there ways that some of these coaches and you see some of them doing some things that say, ‘Hey, I have to adjust my scheme to what the players can do as well,’” said Spielman.

“Some coaches are just, ‘This is what we run, and this is what we have to have, and if they don’t fit this, then I don’t want them.’ Some coaches—and just listening to a lot of coaching interviews and stuff like that—[say], ‘I can do this with this player, and I know we can potentially adjust our scheme to fit what he does best.’”
-------------------------------------------------------------------

This is interesting and revealing.  It seems to me that Spielman did as much as he could to find the players that fit the schemes more often than not.  And, as he correctly pointed out, when that scheme changes, well, you're asking a lot.

I think, in retrospect, that Spielman should have put his foot down and told the coaches he was drafted the best player (specifically interior linemen) and that the coaches need to adapt.

Quote: @"kmillard" said:
@"supafreak84" said:

I want nothing to do with Quinn. That would be the excitement level of the last few years.
I don't want any of these retread guys except maybe Pederson who won a Super Bowl. I mean how many can you say with any certainty would be an upgrade or do a better job then what Zimmer did? If we are going to go ahead and hand the reigns over to Morris, Bowles, Quinn, etc., I'd rather have just kept Zimmer.