Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OT: Smoking
Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
Some of the best cheeseburgers you'll ever have are by high end restaurants. Now is that something you want to order however in that context? Almost always no. There is a VERY nice restaurant called Buccan in Palm Beach and they have a hot dog on the menu, lol. Its on the appetizer menu but you can't believe how many people order it. 
To me, context is everything. When I would go backpacking in the Beartooths, I would always put in my car a cooler with ice, a chocolate bar and a Coke for when I got off the trail. Then I'd drive to the closest mountain town--usually Absarokee, MT--and get a cheeseburger from an old fashioned roadside drive-in. That's the best cheeseburger I've ever had...every time.

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
Some of the best cheeseburgers you'll ever have are by high end restaurants. Now is that something you want to order however in that context? Almost always no. There is a VERY nice restaurant called Buccan in Palm Beach and they have a hot dog on the menu, lol. Its on the appetizer menu but you can't believe how many people order it. 
To me, context is everything. When I would go backpacking in the Beartooths, I would always put in my car a cooler with ice, a chocolate bar and a Coke for when I got off the trail. Then I'd drive to the closest mountain town--usually Absarokee, MT--and get a cheeseburger from an old fashioned roadside drive-in. That's the best cheeseburger I've ever had...every time.
I was going to say similar but I didnt want it to sound like I was shitting on fine dining.... but if you talk to people that really are foodies and try everything from upscale to road side dives,  typically the best recommendations are small town diners and road side dives.  There is a biker bar, along side a highway in the black hills, that I have heard ( never tried yet ) has the  best burger in the mid west ( and considering we are the heart of cattle country, where beef is typically served 4 out of 3 meals... thats one hell of a claim!

I do take issue with places that try and mask the flavor of their burgers with sauces or weird shit... IMO if you have a good blend of ground beef ( sirloin and brisket is my preference) and simple seasoning S&P, cooked medium rare with a bit of mustard and thinly sliced onion on a lightly toasted bun,  thats about as close to perfection as I have had.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
I was going to say similar but I didnt want it to sound like I was shitting on fine dining.... but if you talk to people that really are foodies and try everything from upscale to road side dives,  typically the best recommendations are small town diners and road side dives.  There is a biker bar, along side a highway in the black hills, that I have heard ( never tried yet ) has the  best burger in the mid west ( and considering we are the heart of cattle country, where beef is typically served 4 out of 3 meals... thats one hell of a claim!

I do take issue with places that try and mask the flavor of their burgers with sauces or weird shit... IMO if you have a good blend of ground beef ( sirloin and brisket is my preference) and simple seasoning S&P, cooked medium rare with a bit of mustard and thinly sliced onion on a lightly toasted bun,  thats about as close to perfection as I have had.
Agree...I'm not a big fan of the special sauces. Everyone raves about the In-N-Out Burger and it's decent, but the sauce kills it for me. 

Quote: @"jargomcfargo" said:
@"NorseFeathers" said:
I enjoy smoking too. I've got a ceramic Primo XL oval and I wouldn't trade it. The game changer was adding the Thermoworks bbq alarm called the Smoke X, paired with the Thermoworks temperature controlled blower fan called Billows. The Smoke X and Billows controls entire cook temps to plus or minus 1°. More accurate than an oven. I just did a 16 hour cook (2 pork butts) and never opened the lid to the Primo. After about 30 years of smoking, my opinion of a good smoke and a great one is controlling the cook temperature, without temperature spikes or drops, and a lot of smoke. I smoked the 2 butts at 128° cooking temp until the pork had an internal temp of 202°. Very tender and moist with a nice smoke flavor.
Being able to control the air flow allows precise temperature control is the key for me as well. I have a kamado grill which is great once the temperature range is reached. But it can take some time to stabilize at the temperature needed; especially when you overshoot and have to cool back down. Chasing that target temperature can be time consuming.
I've been looking for something with precise air control and will look into Primo.
Update. Just ordered the Thermoworks smoke X and billows for my Kamado. Thank you for review.

@"jargomcfargo" said:
@"NorseFeathers" said:
I enjoy smoking too. I've got a ceramic Primo XL oval and I wouldn't trade it. The game changer was adding the Thermoworks bbq alarm called the Smoke X, paired with the Thermoworks temperature controlled blower fan called Billows. The Smoke X and Billows controls entire cook temps to plus or minus 1°. More accurate than an oven. I just did a 16 hour cook (2 pork butts) and never opened the lid to the Primo. After about 30 years of smoking, my opinion of a good smoke and a great one is controlling the cook temperature, without temperature spikes or drops, and a lot of smoke. I smoked the 2 butts at 128° cooking temp until the pork had an internal temp of 202°. Very tender and moist with a nice smoke flavor.
Being able to control the air flow allows precise temperature control is the key for me as well. I have a kamado grill which is great once the temperature range is reached. But it can take some time to stabilize at the temperature needed; especially when you overshoot and have to cool back down. Chasing that target temperature can be time consuming.
I've been looking for something with precise air control and will look into Primo.
Update. Just ordered the Thermoworks smoke X and billows for my Kamado. Thank you for review.
did you get the mounting kit with your order?

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"jargomcfargo" said:
@"jargomcfargo" said:
@"NorseFeathers" said:
Yes but it is just a little metal plate with a hole in it. Will I need more?

@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"jargomcfargo" said:
@"jargomcfargo" said:
@"NorseFeathers" said:
Yes but it is just a little metal plate with a hole in it. Will I need more?
nope, sounds about right.  I am not exactly sure how your air intake goes,  but if its like other eggs that I have seen its just a sliding plate that blocks holes,  this will likely slide into the same slot and give the billows a place to snap into.

When you hook the Smoke X and Billows up to your smoker and you're ready for your 1st smoke, remember to set your smoker up to starve the fire ... meaning, close ALL vents except the one where you've got the Billows hooked up.

The idea is the Billows should be providing the only oxygen that the fire receives. Don't worry that the Billows runs almost the entire cook, it's designed for that. I've had mine for years and have had several cooks that lasted 24 hours and mine still works fine.

Quote: @"NorseFeathers" said:
@"jargomcfargo" said:

When you hook the Smoke X and Billows up to your smoker and you're ready for your 1st smoke, remember to set your smoker up to starve the fire ... meaning, close ALL vents except the one where you've got the Billows hooked up.

The idea is the Billows should be providing the only oxygen that the fire receives. Don't worry that the Billows runs almost the entire cook, it's designed for that. I've had mine for years and have had several cooks that lasted 24 hours and mine still works fine.

and dont forget to unplug it when you open the lid to tend to your meat,  the coals get enough fresh air with just the lid open with the fan pumping it just set you up for a big temp jump when you close the lid again,  I wish it had a pause button or something so you dont have to plug and unplug.