Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A joyless season
I can't remember a recent season that has cratered into such a joyless season as this.
  • It started off so promising with the rebuilt Williams Wall, a rebuilt secondary including a young Danzler who played so well in the second half of the 20 season, Barr and Hunter back on the field and Zimmer's promised extensive tweaks and modifications.  Throw in that this was a Zimmer playoff year (every other year) and an outstanding offense with an improved offensive line and I saw a very promising season.
  • Then the preseason started and, in my view, the preseason was mismanaged from the get go.  You had the weird Browning/Stanley competition; the starting offensive line hardly playing together (partly by design and partly due to Darrisaw's core injury).  It felt like the Vikes felt like they could simply turn it on during the regular season.
  • Added on top of that was the number of star players who declined to get a vaccine.  Without getting argumentative, suffice it to say that the vaccinated are disappointed by these decisions.  For me, at least, the vaccination issue also introduced me to Cousin's father and some of his statements.  
  • The D. Hunter situation was also bothersome.  Then he was lost for the season.
  • Three 3rd round draft picks contributing nothing.
  • Then you start with the Cincinnati game and the Vikings being flat -- something that happened far too often this season.  Though Darrisaw looks like the future, there has been no rookie like Jefferson to really lift the spirits in a challenging season.
  • I hate the Harrison Smith extension.
  • The Viking got pushed around in the trenches, week after week after week.  There doesn't seem to be any fire with this team.
  • As the season progressed, we saw more and more of the Zimm who willing throws players and coaches under the bus.  Zimmer has never grasped that the buck stops with him -- if the players aren't executing, well, coach them up.  If the OC is not properly game planning, correct him.
  • Of course, you also have the gratuitous Spielman trade just before the season to being in a TE -- basically, his annual panic trade.
  • Then there is the lack of improvement among the players themselves (especially the back-ups).  Point fingers where you will, you rarely see a back-up under Zimmer seize a starting job.  I think Dozier is the only starter from last year to lose his starting position.  Osborn and Jefferson both approved but you can credit the WR school they attend during the offseason.
  • On top of that, throw in the last two minutes of every half.........  
Just a joyless season.

Zimmer wouldn't play his starters in the preseason so they had penalty after penalty in the first game of the regular season. Things didn't seem to ever get much better from there.

Joyless is one description.  

I'll go with Painful, with a chance at excruciating, as we watch the Packers and Cowboys compete for a SB.  

Frustrating. Then angering. Then sweet apathy kicks in. 

Losing to the Cowboys backup, because Zimmer didn't even consider the possibility Dak may not go.

Then to let a total noob with 0 career starts carve up his defense at home like a Thanksgiving turkey.   Season ended for me right there.

For me it was….. Expected. Zimmer has been worthless for a while now. His defense was exposed completely in the second half of the miracle game. Since then there is no magic.

Quote: @Mike Olson said:
For me it was….. Expected. Zimmer has been worthless for a while now. His defense was exposed completely in the second half of the miracle game. Since then there is no magic.
Proceeded by the Eagles debacle so I was done a game later although my eyes were opened in that second half comeback by the Saints.  

I still would have had Zimmer back the following year coming off a NFC Champ game but then I wanted him gone after 2018 season.

So, we completed 3 seasons after I wanted him gone.....I am starting to worry if we might see year 4???

Very frustrating, but 2016 says hold my beer.  

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Minnesota_Vikings_season

It appears we were waiting for the Ravens game to confirm that Zimmer should be gone.

All kidding aside, I can't believe there are still thoughts that the Vikings may retain him.   Just from a business perspective, retaining Zimmer would harm the loyal Vikings fan base.  Seems like a no brainer at this point.  It does show that the fan base has lost some trusts in the Wilfs at this point.

I'm with you. Spent last summer listening to guys tell me how we were gonna contend and telling them no we're gonna be a .500 team. I was wrong--we're worse than that.

Betting markets in August had this team's win total at 8.5--what does that tell you? Not that it was a contender.