Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MSU Mel Tucker - KaChing!

I love football but it is just amazing to me the amount of money state/public (tax money) schools spend on specifically their head football coaches.  I read (so not verified) that around 45 of our States highest paid employees are a college football head coach.  

Most big colleges have plenty of rich ulumni and donors to pay for these salaries. Not to mention college football is big business. Majority of the time football helps subsidies other sports.

Quote: @"Still Hurtn" said:
Most big colleges have plenty of rich ulumni and donors to pay for these salaries. Not to mention college football 
is big business. Majority of the time football helps subsidies other sports.
I know all of that but at the end of the day these are supposedly State funded/subsidized  (taxes) Universities that are primarily funded from state and property taxes.  I am in PA and my 2 kids attend state Universities.  In state kids pay a lower rate then if you are from out-of-state but at the end of the day why can't these State Universities use the revenue generated from a football program to reduce tuition instead of making these campuses look like resorts?  

My daughter is at Penn State main campus which is a higher-tier State University so they can charge a higher tuition - for in-state with room and board it is about $35,000.  My son is at the regular tier state university and that is about $23,000.  Out of State at PSU is well over 50K and maybe even over 60K at this point.  PSU draws worldwide and has a ton of students from Asia and the middle-east who are paying that 50/60K a year so they are paying the full rate....so you take all that into consideration and if you a from PA and have paid state and property taxes why does the tuition always go up when the University itself is a profit making machine.  

So when Franklin just signed his 10 year /90 mill or whatever contract all PA tax payors are paying his salary.  All the revenue that is generated completely State and Federal Tax free (I think, right?) is pumped back into buying more land, constructing more buildings/dorms/resort amenities but lord forbid you reduce tuition?  So when you follow the tax free money (like religious organizations) where does the money end up?  Head Football coaches and I am sure all athletic coaches are paid well, the University President?, the Board of trustee's,  the money is flowing somewhere and not back to help the higher education of state residents which is what they were supposedly formed to do, correct? 

I am assuming that this situation in PA at PSU and State schools is relatively the same in every State?   

Quote: @"minny65" said:
@"Still Hurtn" said:
Most big colleges have plenty of rich ulumni and donors to pay for these salaries. Not to mention college football 
is big business. Majority of the time football helps subsidies other sports.
I know all of that but at the end of the day these are supposedly State funded/subsidized  (taxes) Universities that are primarily funded from state and property taxes.  I am in PA and my 2 kids attend state Universities.  In state kids pay a lower rate then if you are from out-of-state but at the end of the day why can't these State Universities use the revenue generated from a football program to reduce tuition instead of making these campuses look like resorts?  

My daughter is at Penn State main campus which is a higher-tier State University so they can charge a higher tuition - for in-state with room and board it is about $35,000.  My son is at the regular tier state university and that is about $23,000.  Out of State at PSU is well over 50K and maybe even over 60K at this point.  PSU draws worldwide and has a ton of students from Asia and the middle-east who are paying that 50/60K a year so they are paying the full rate....so you take all that into consideration and if you a from PA and have paid state and property taxes why does the tuition always go up when the University itself is a profit making machine.  

So when Franklin just signed his 10 year /90 mill or whatever contract all PA tax payors are paying his salary.  All the revenue that is generated completely State and Federal Tax free (I think, right?) is pumped back into buying more land, constructing more buildings/dorms/resort amenities but lord forbid you reduce tuition?  So when you follow the tax free money (like religious organizations) where does the money end up?  Head Football coaches and I am sure all athletic coaches are paid well, the University President?, the Board of trustee's,  the money is flowing somewhere and not back to help the higher education of state residents which is what they were supposedly formed to do, correct? 

I am assuming that this situation in PA at PSU and State schools is relatively the same in every State?   
Oh and from what I can tell the average professor salaries have not increased any more then the private sector.  The average salary for a PSU main campus professor is around 90K which it says is about 5% higher then the national average.  So the money isn't going to the everyday professors either????  It's going somewhere to someone!