Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Watchables vs Chargers
Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@greediron said:
@minny65 said:
@minny65 said:
I am in on keying on our youth for primarily two reasons.   First what do we have moving forward and second what I call the Spelly dilemma.  The GM provides the talent and it is up to the coaching staff to develop that talent if it is good enough.  I don't think I need rehash that I am done with Zimmer so I am going on the premise that he is gone after this season but I think Spelly is a harder decision for the Wilf's.  Do they let him pick his second HC?

Back to this game:

Defense:

I noticed that Armon Watts - 6th rounder 2019 - is our leading interior DL in terms of tackles coming off a career high 70% of defensive snaps last week.  He had 3 solo tackles and 2 QB hits - sweet.  He has been getting more snaps the last few weeks and now with Willekes out for covid I assume he will get even more.

Speaking of Willekes - 7th round 2020 - hope he gets back off covid list - because he had a really nice stat line vs Ravens playing in his career high 42% of our snaps - .5 sacks, 7 combo tackles, and also 2 QB hits. 

I think we see more of James Lynch - 4th round 2020 - with Pierce/Willekes out along the DL.  

Wonnum - 4th round 2020 - finishes out the season for Hunter so lets see what he has!

Vigil will fill in for the Barr like he did for the beginning of the season but I was looking at our other LB'ers and noticed that Troy Dye - 4th rounder 2020 - has not been in on any defensive snaps this season.  He has only played special teams this season after getting thrust into the lineup with our MASH unit last year.  I think it is pretty clear we need to draft some LB'ers next year.  

Secondary - breakout game for Bynum - 4th round 2021 - team high 12 tackles and the Int.  Played in all 98 defensive snaps after playing in a total of 9 snaps all season.  Xavier is 26 and on a 1 year deal, right?  Harry is 32 and we extended him recently so who do we squeeze to see more of the 23 year old Bynum?  Interesting to see what Zimmer does.  We all know he will lean heavy on exp. but maybe he finds a way to get Bynum in on big nickel and take Mac out?  Don't have a clue but will be watching.  

Also, Tiny Dantzler - 3rd round 2020 - had 10 tackles last week and has filled in decent for PP (one year deal, right?).  Hoping Dantzler keeps up his play injury free and the next coach might have that one corner locked down.  Not sure of Breeland contract?

Offense:

K.J. Osborn - 5th round 2020 - is he the answer as our #3?  He has 3 catches on 5 targets the last 2 games?  
J. Jefferson is of course a Star - but he has had only 5 catches in 9 "targets" the last 2 games?  We don't want Tice Randy ratio but shouldn't he be getting at least 9 targets a game?  He also has had a few more drops this season (going on memory/gut on this) and seems to lose concentration occasionally.  Still, if this is a sophomore slump I'll take it Smile   One other thing I noticed as well - his yards per target is also way down.  

Conklin - 5th round 2018 - is having a pretty good year so I will watch to see if he continues.  But we clearly need ISJ back next year.

Then there is Kene - 4th round 2021 - is Klint going to get him some snaps from the backfield this week?  With the recent Cook news it wouldn't hurt to spell him even more and get Mattison - 3rd round 2019 - more then 3 carries game and then Kene a few.  The 2 games Mattison had over 20 carries he had over 100 yds and around 4.4 per carry.  Obviously, not the same back as Cook but let's spread the wealth a little more.  

Lastly on Offense - Cole at Center - could he be our answer at Center that also makes the Guards better?   

Finally, of course Darrisaw our first pick last year.  Looks like the real deal so far so I want to watch him the rest of season.  Hopefully we have our OT's locked down for the next HC, next year!
I'll recap my own pre game post:

DEF
Watts didn't put up big numbers but the DL as a whole played well holding the Chargers to 82 run yards on 19 carries.  James Lynch put up more stats and looked good as well.
Wonnum didn't put up any numbers but again I also saw last years late round pick Patrick Jones play a good but as well.  
Vigil played really well, I thought.
Bynum needs to be on the field all the time
Dantzler played well

OFF
KJ Osborn wasn't even targeted but I am OK when you target Jefferson and Thielan 20 times.  But when needed in upcoming games I want to see if KJ steps up like he did earlier this year.  Has disappeared.
Conklin reminds me of Cris Cater Smile
Mattison got 4 carries but I really want to see Kene in the backfield some in the next few games.
Cole was good again...nothing special or great...but better then Bradbury for the last 2 weeks
Darrisaw had his worst game from what I could see but the good news is that it wasn't that bad.  

A lot of youth on this team are starting to step up but we have to see progression. 
With the youth comes penalties we had 10 accepted for over 100 yards. 
The officiating this season continues to control games, keep games close, and really effect the over all product horribly.  I watch a lot of games and I am not just talking our games.  But, as was pointed out to me on this board by other posters, no one cares because so few fans watch one team every play every game.  The NFL fan/market right now are what I would call Red Zone/fantasy fans only that really only root for players and watch highlight plays.  They don't tune into the Vikings vs Chargers and watch every play of that one game and scrutinize.  
Just a thought on KJ not having many targets this last few weeks.  One could say none of the WRs had targets, so the offense just wasn't pushing the ball.  So hopefully that turns around.

And speaking of short dump off passes, was Darrisaw's struggles related to the Vikings actually throwing the ball down the field?  Darrisaws first game was a bit of a mirage as they ran all short quick routes.  And they have been ever since he was put into the starting lineup.  So hopefully he has graduated to a big boy now and can handle deeper drops and longer developing plays.
It wasn't just darrisaw, the whole damn line looked like ass yesterday.
My point still stands.  The line still sucks, needs to gel, improve, whatever.  It was just obscured by the dink and dunk offense we ran the last few weeks.  

I know everyone was celebrating the loud mouth o-line coach, but I am just not seeing it.  This team is a mess.

Quote: @greediron said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@greediron said:
@minny65 said:
@minny65 said:
I am in on keying on our youth for primarily two reasons.   First what do we have moving forward and second what I call the Spelly dilemma.  The GM provides the talent and it is up to the coaching staff to develop that talent if it is good enough.  I don't think I need rehash that I am done with Zimmer so I am going on the premise that he is gone after this season but I think Spelly is a harder decision for the Wilf's.  Do they let him pick his second HC?

Back to this game:

Defense:

I noticed that Armon Watts - 6th rounder 2019 - is our leading interior DL in terms of tackles coming off a career high 70% of defensive snaps last week.  He had 3 solo tackles and 2 QB hits - sweet.  He has been getting more snaps the last few weeks and now with Willekes out for covid I assume he will get even more.

Speaking of Willekes - 7th round 2020 - hope he gets back off covid list - because he had a really nice stat line vs Ravens playing in his career high 42% of our snaps - .5 sacks, 7 combo tackles, and also 2 QB hits. 

I think we see more of James Lynch - 4th round 2020 - with Pierce/Willekes out along the DL.  

Wonnum - 4th round 2020 - finishes out the season for Hunter so lets see what he has!

Vigil will fill in for the Barr like he did for the beginning of the season but I was looking at our other LB'ers and noticed that Troy Dye - 4th rounder 2020 - has not been in on any defensive snaps this season.  He has only played special teams this season after getting thrust into the lineup with our MASH unit last year.  I think it is pretty clear we need to draft some LB'ers next year.  

Secondary - breakout game for Bynum - 4th round 2021 - team high 12 tackles and the Int.  Played in all 98 defensive snaps after playing in a total of 9 snaps all season.  Xavier is 26 and on a 1 year deal, right?  Harry is 32 and we extended him recently so who do we squeeze to see more of the 23 year old Bynum?  Interesting to see what Zimmer does.  We all know he will lean heavy on exp. but maybe he finds a way to get Bynum in on big nickel and take Mac out?  Don't have a clue but will be watching.  

Also, Tiny Dantzler - 3rd round 2020 - had 10 tackles last week and has filled in decent for PP (one year deal, right?).  Hoping Dantzler keeps up his play injury free and the next coach might have that one corner locked down.  Not sure of Breeland contract?

Offense:

K.J. Osborn - 5th round 2020 - is he the answer as our #3?  He has 3 catches on 5 targets the last 2 games?  
J. Jefferson is of course a Star - but he has had only 5 catches in 9 "targets" the last 2 games?  We don't want Tice Randy ratio but shouldn't he be getting at least 9 targets a game?  He also has had a few more drops this season (going on memory/gut on this) and seems to lose concentration occasionally.  Still, if this is a sophomore slump I'll take it Smile   One other thing I noticed as well - his yards per target is also way down.  

Conklin - 5th round 2018 - is having a pretty good year so I will watch to see if he continues.  But we clearly need ISJ back next year.

Then there is Kene - 4th round 2021 - is Klint going to get him some snaps from the backfield this week?  With the recent Cook news it wouldn't hurt to spell him even more and get Mattison - 3rd round 2019 - more then 3 carries game and then Kene a few.  The 2 games Mattison had over 20 carries he had over 100 yds and around 4.4 per carry.  Obviously, not the same back as Cook but let's spread the wealth a little more.  

Lastly on Offense - Cole at Center - could he be our answer at Center that also makes the Guards better?   

Finally, of course Darrisaw our first pick last year.  Looks like the real deal so far so I want to watch him the rest of season.  Hopefully we have our OT's locked down for the next HC, next year!
I'll recap my own pre game post:

DEF
Watts didn't put up big numbers but the DL as a whole played well holding the Chargers to 82 run yards on 19 carries.  James Lynch put up more stats and looked good as well.
Wonnum didn't put up any numbers but again I also saw last years late round pick Patrick Jones play a good but as well.  
Vigil played really well, I thought.
Bynum needs to be on the field all the time
Dantzler played well

OFF
KJ Osborn wasn't even targeted but I am OK when you target Jefferson and Thielan 20 times.  But when needed in upcoming games I want to see if KJ steps up like he did earlier this year.  Has disappeared.
Conklin reminds me of Cris Cater Smile
Mattison got 4 carries but I really want to see Kene in the backfield some in the next few games.
Cole was good again...nothing special or great...but better then Bradbury for the last 2 weeks
Darrisaw had his worst game from what I could see but the good news is that it wasn't that bad.  

A lot of youth on this team are starting to step up but we have to see progression. 
With the youth comes penalties we had 10 accepted for over 100 yards. 
The officiating this season continues to control games, keep games close, and really effect the over all product horribly.  I watch a lot of games and I am not just talking our games.  But, as was pointed out to me on this board by other posters, no one cares because so few fans watch one team every play every game.  The NFL fan/market right now are what I would call Red Zone/fantasy fans only that really only root for players and watch highlight plays.  They don't tune into the Vikings vs Chargers and watch every play of that one game and scrutinize.  
Just a thought on KJ not having many targets this last few weeks.  One could say none of the WRs had targets, so the offense just wasn't pushing the ball.  So hopefully that turns around.

And speaking of short dump off passes, was Darrisaw's struggles related to the Vikings actually throwing the ball down the field?  Darrisaws first game was a bit of a mirage as they ran all short quick routes.  And they have been ever since he was put into the starting lineup.  So hopefully he has graduated to a big boy now and can handle deeper drops and longer developing plays.
It wasn't just darrisaw, the whole damn line looked like ass yesterday.
My point still stands.  The line still sucks, needs to gel, improve, whatever.  It was just obscured by the dink and dunk offense we ran the last few weeks.  

I know everyone was celebrating the loud mouth o-line coach, but I am just not seeing it.  This team is a mess.
The line has improved this year,  no questioning that.  This last game withstanding Kirk has seen protection and Dalvin has seen running lanes,  like they havent for the past several years.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@greediron said:

The line has improved this year,  no questioning that.  This last game withstanding Kirk has seen protection and Dalvin has seen running lanes,  like they havent for the past several years.
But wasn't the complaint about the previous 2 games that we didn't throw down the field? Short, quick routes means the line doesn't really have to protect, just get in the way for a second.

I will admit to not watching, but if our offense changed to protect the inept protections, then they didn't improve, we just neutered our offense.

Quote: @greediron said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@greediron said:

But wasn't the complaint about the previous 2 games that we didn't throw down the field? Short, quick routes means the line doesn't really have to protect, just get in the way for a second.

I will admit to not watching, but if our offense changed to protect the inept protections, then they didn't improve, we just neutered our offense.
they still took some shots down field in those game, and Cousins still held the ball at times and eventually took the underneath stuff.  the pissing and moaning is when there wasnt double coverage,  the defense was stacking the LOS... Cousins was to quick to get the ball out to the safety valve and not take those shots over the top to back the defense out of the box.