Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Serious Question
Quote: @Kentis said:
[Image: wv8kbykmuw28.jpeg]
Serious Question: Daddy are the Vikings always going to suck…?
Yes, son....they are. 

People need to have semi-realistic expectations.  By definition, every team except one is going
to end the season as a loser who failed to win the SB.  On average, each team will win the SB once
every 32 years.  If you are a fan of
sports and you are devastated by not winning the SB, you are setting yourself
up for disappointment, because not winning the SB is the most likely outcome.

Regarding Zimmer.  The
most likely outcome is that our next coach will be worse than Zimmer.  He’s clearly above average, but he’s also
clearly currently “not good enough”.  I
think you need to look at it more like what is the probability that Zimmer will
fix his limiting factors as compared to the probability of acquiring a better
coach.  The longer time goes on, the more
evidence stacks up on what probably won't ever change.

That said, I’m a much greater proponent of trying to acquire
an elite QB.  The difference between the
6th best QB and an elite QB is greater than the difference between
the 6th best QB and the worst QB. 
With elite QBs, you ask how many SB’s they will win compared to
non-elite QB’s you ask will they ever get to the SB.

Agreed, players make the coaches in the NFL, especially @ QB. No way TB wins a SB without Brady is the latest example. 

I've got lots of decades on the tire tread of life. Not making the SB since I was 17 is sad.  

Nobody will convince me Zimmer gets the most from his players or out-game plans his opponents more often than not. 

I am absolutely willing to take the chance of a step backwards and move on from Mike after this season. 

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
I've got lots of decades on the tire tread of life. 

Not making the SB since I was 17 is sad.  

Nobody will convince me Zimmer gets the most from his players or out-game plans his opponents more often than not. 

I am absolutely willing to take the chance of a step backwards and move on from Mike after this season. 
Yeah, I think Zim is a good Xs and Os guy, but really lacks in the motivation dept.  So often I think the team looks flat, unenthused. and lacking fire for big games.  Getting the team pumped up and ready to take on the world is something a good coaches will do for their team. 

Quote: @purplefaithful said:

Agreed, players make the coaches in the NFL, especially @ QB. No way TB wins a SB without Brady is the latest example. 

I've got lots of decades on the tire tread of life. Not making the SB since I was 17 is sad.  

Players CAN make the coach,  but the coach has to be secure enough ( Chilly wasnt) and smart enough (Zimmer doesnt appear to be) to get the fuck out of the players way and let them make plays.  its obvious that our O has weapons that can make plays and win games,  but this insistence of his on playing Zims brand of football is what is holding the team back.  the man is a brilliant DC,  but we need a brilliant or at least competent HC.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@purplefaithful said:

Players CAN make the coach,  but the coach has to be secure enough ( Chilly wasnt) and smart enough (Zimmer doesnt appear to be) to get the fuck out of the players way and let them make plays.  its obvious that our O has weapons that can make plays and win games,  but this insistence of his on playing Zims brand of football is what is holding the team back.  the man is a brilliant DC,  but we need a brilliant or at least competent HC.
I agree Jimmy. And I would add —why is KC not allowed to call a time out? Why is he given very limited power to call plays himself? I would think at the very least, if you are running a 2 min. offense at the end of a game ( which we have done a lot) why is he not given the reins to run the show? This is a 10 year vet who has shown that if he is allowed to go to work, can really excel. I have been asking this a lot. I wonder why no reporters have tried to get an answer on this from Zim.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@purplefaithful said:

I think Zim wants (or wanted) to be the next Parcells or Belichik , but he's nowhere near that level of coaching.  Those two coached up the entire team, not just the defense.

Quote: @Caactorvike said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@purplefaithful said:

I agree Jimmy. And I would add —why is KC not allowed to call a time out? Why is he given very limited power to call plays himself? I would think at the very least, if you are running a 2 min. offense at the end of a game ( which we have done a lot) why is he not given the reins to run the show? This is a 10 year vet who has shown that if he is allowed to go to work, can really excel. I have been asking this a lot. I wonder why no reporters have tried to get an answer on this from Zim.
I don't think we know that KC isn't allowed to call time outs or audibles or whatever.  The words that KC actually said were "I just let Zim handle the timeouts, because I never know quite what the coaches want to do with what they're thinking, a play ahead or what that may be, so I was just gonna let them handle that and call the next play if we're not getting it."  I read this as Kirk Cousins doesn't understand what the coaches want him to do, so he chose to do nothing.  In my mind if a timeout needs to be called.  Zimmer should be on it.  Cousins should be on it.  Several people should be calling it to ensure it gets called as soon as possible.  To me, I think there's some situations where Cousins has a firm grasp of the offense and he can let it rip and performs great.  Then there's other situations where the defense has us figured out, and our coaching staff doesn't have secondary plans that Cousins understands well enough to execute at a high level of play.