Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A very young group...
Vikings offensive line shows promise for the future, says GM Rick Spielman
Christian Darrisaw got his first start in the NFL and the team's offense had a productive day in a victory over the Carolina Panthers.
The Vikings offensive line might have played its best game of the season during Sunday's 34-28 overtime victory in Carolina, so on Tuesday, General Manager Rick Spielman had reason to be optimistic about a position that's been retooled year after year.

"Hopefully," Spielman said, "this line is a very young group that we're going to be able to keep together for a while."
The offensive line has been an annual offseason priority for the Vikings front office. All five starting blockers have been drafted within the past four years, with everybody but right guard Oli Udoh being a first- or second-round pick. Udoh was a 2019 sixth-round pick.
The results have been mixed through six games, especially as an interior line of guard Ezra Cleveland, center Garrett Bradbury and Udoh remain a work in progress. But they're trending in the right direction. First-round rookie Christian Darrisaw is healthy, and appeared to be an upgrade over Rashod Hill at left tackle, even as coaches helped scheme Darrisaw into good situations.
In Darrisaw's first NFL start in Carolina, quarterback Kirk Cousins wasn't sacked for the first time this season. Quicker throws and better protection have helped Cousins be one of only five quarterbacks to start all six games and be sacked fewer than 10 times.
A year ago, only five quarterbacks were sacked more than Cousins, who was taken down 39 times.
"That position maybe takes the most time to evolve, especially if you can keep all five together," Spielman said. "It was great to see Darrisaw out there. I think Ezra, this is the second year that he's ever played guard in his life, and he's going to continue to evolve, as Bradbury has taken a step forward this year. Oli, this is the first time he's ever played guard, and he's stepped in and is learning on the move."
https://www.startribune.com/vikings-offe...600108062/

I didnt realize till now that all the starters are (sans Oli) a 1st or 2nd rounder. Thats quite the radical change vs how they used to manage that group. 

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
I didnt realize till now that all the starters are (sans Oli) a 1st or 2nd rounder. Thats quite the radical change vs how they used to manage that group. 
I think they have real potential. The test will be if they can be more consistent as the year goes on. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@purplefaithful said:
I think they have real potential. The test will be if they can be more consistent as the year goes on. 

I hope this plays out like that young OL group from 94-97..

There are going to be growing pains, but if they can keep this group healthy and together for a couple years, it really should be one of the better lines in the NFL. All of them are still so young at 22, 23, 26, 24, 26. And even the depth is better this year with Davis, Brandel and Cole. 

@StickyBun said:
@purplefaithful said:

I hope this plays out like that young OL group from 94-97..
I hate to be the pessimist of this thread but I will have more belief in the future of the OL when we have a new center. I'm good with the other 4 spots

They don't even mention our most recent 3rd rounder, Wyatt Davis.  If he's able to make it into the staring lineup, things only trend up for this group.

Quote: @HappyViking said:
They don't even mention our most recent 3rd rounder, Wyatt Davis.  If he's able to make it into the staring lineup, things only trend up for this group.

Its quite possible that Davis takes over for Bradbury next year.  I can't imagine him getting extended with how often he gets pushed around.

Quote: @AGRforever said:
@HappyViking said:

Its quite possible that Davis takes over for Bradbury next year.  I can't imagine him getting extended with how often he gets pushed around.
This is my dream scenario. This way we can spend more attention on the defense in the draft.