Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is the Vikings defense better than we think?
Quote: @Wetlander said:
I'm not sure why anyone is complaining about the defense.  They've actually played pretty well outside of couple bad plays against Cincy, one bad half against Arizona (but they buckled down in the 2nd half and gave us a chance to win), and one bad quarter against Seattle.  Other than that, they held the Browns to 14 points and Detroit should have been 9 if one of our RBs didn't forget to hold on to the football at the end of a game.

Get some perspective people.  I get it, everyone's frustrated by our record and blame Zimmer...  and by extension the defense because it's his baby, but come on now. 
Man, there are times he really pisses me off. Conservative game calls, conservative roster calls, game prep...However, if you look closely, there are signs of a typical Zimmer defense beginning to emerge. 

In-game adjustments shutting down most offenses in the 2nd half. How many TDs given up in the 2nd half over 5 games? Two maybe? 3rd down defense ranking among the best. I think we're 2nd in the NFL in sacks. 

We have to fix the run fits, but it sounds like Zimmer's working on that. One of these days we're going to sync offense and defense and play a complete game. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@Wetlander said:
I'm not sure why anyone is complaining about the defense.  They've actually played pretty well outside of couple bad plays against Cincy, one bad half against Arizona (but they buckled down in the 2nd half and gave us a chance to win), and one bad quarter against Seattle.  Other than that, they held the Browns to 14 points and Detroit should have been 9 if one of our RBs didn't forget to hold on to the football at the end of a game.

Get some perspective people.  I get it, everyone's frustrated by our record and blame Zimmer...  and by extension the defense because it's his baby, but come on now. 
Man, there are times he really pisses me off. Conservative game calls, conservative roster calls, game prep...However, if you look closely, there are signs of a typical Zimmer defense beginning to emerge. 

In-game adjustments shutting down most offenses in the 2nd half. How many TDs given up in the 2nd half over 5 games? Two maybe? 3rd down defense ranking among the best. I think we're 2nd in the NFL in sacks. 

We have to fix the run fits, but it sounds like Zimmer's working on that. One of these days we're going to sync offense and defense and play a complete game. 

Hopefully Wonnum keeps growing as a player, maybe getting Griff promoted to starter lights that fire.  He has been an issue in the run D as has Vigil.  So maybe it is starting to round out and if KK figures it out on O, maybe we do start to have some complete games.

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@Wetlander said:

The run defense has been a bit of a concern, but a lot of it is how Zimmer and Patterson coach the DL to play the run.  They want their guys to tie up the OL and plug gaps to get the RB moving laterally so the LBs can run free to make the tackle.  If we got pushed back or lose the edge, that's when we get run on.  I would attribute that more to having so many new players on defense and guys trying to gel with each other and the scheme.  It doesn't happen overnight.

Totally agree that sooner or later, we'll start playing some complimentary football.  If we do, this team is certainly talented enough to go on a win streak.

@MaroonBells said:
@Wetlander said:

The run defense has been a bit of a concern, but a lot of it is how Zimmer and Patterson coach the DL to play the run.  They want their guys to tie up the OL and plug gaps to get the RB moving laterally so the LBs can run free to make the tackle.  If we got pushed back or lose the edge, that's when we get run on.  I would attribute that more to having so many new players on defense and guys trying to gel with each other and the scheme.  It doesn't happen overnight.

Totally agree that sooner or later, we'll start playing some complimentary football.  If we do, this team is certainly talented enough to go on a win streak.
Normally I'd agree, I just don't know if this roster is as good as a few fans think. Maybe it is and it will show more consistently, but I'll say this: if the Vikings do go on a winning streak, they'll have earned it because the schedule is tough. 

@MaroonBells said:
@Wetlander said:

Agreed. I just hope it's sooner rather than later.

I think Vikings fans have been pretty spoiled when it comes
to defense.  The league is doing
everything in it’s power to help the offenses get those scores up.  It is a hard thing to be consistently good
year to year on defense.  I think we
compare this defense to defenses of the past and see that it doesn’t hold up as
well, but I think we’re on a sliding scale where all defenses are slipping.

I do think the defense has some room for tightening up and
becoming more cohesive as the season goes on. 
I think my biggest area of concern now is the offense, both in terms of
playcalling and in terms of the OLine.  I’m
hoping Darrisaw can solidify his spot when he comes in.  That would be a big boon for us.  I think our passing game has opened up quite
a bit this year, and that’s huge to have that in our arsenal but I think our run
game is still a work in progress.  We’re
still working on having an offense that can be productive no matter what the
defense focuses on taking away.  I hope
this last game is a wakeup call on us playing not to lose.

Quote: @medaille said:
I think Vikings fans have been pretty spoiled when it comes
to defense.  The league is doing
everything in it’s power to help the offenses get those scores up.  It is a hard thing to be consistently good
year to year on defense.  I think we
compare this defense to defenses of the past and see that it doesn’t hold up as
well, but I think we’re on a sliding scale where all defenses are slipping.

I do think the defense has some room for tightening up and
becoming more cohesive as the season goes on. 
I think my biggest area of concern now is the offense, both in terms of
playcalling and in terms of the OLine.  I’m
hoping Darrisaw can solidify his spot when he comes in.  That would be a big boon for us.  I think our passing game has opened up quite
a bit this year, and that’s huge to have that in our arsenal but I think our run
game is still a work in progress.  We’re
still working on having an offense that can be productive no matter what the
defense focuses on taking away.  I hope
this last game is a wakeup call on us playing not to lose.
Totally agree on the offense.  If and when teams take away the run, we have to be able to still throw the ball.  That has been our downfall for years now.

And agree on the D as well, that was my point about everyone else sucking.  As bad as our D has looked, it is happening to every D by design

I don't see all this great talent on the Vikings overhyped defense. Outside of Hunter and Kendricks it is pretty average. Harry is still good, but older. Lots of one year contracts and hopes.