Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Urban Meyer Will Not Pull A Petrino
Jaguars' HC Urban Meyer said "there's no chance" of him taking the USC head coach opening.
Meyer may not be interested in USC naming him head coach, but the same can't be said about the NFL community. Meyer's first NFL game was an embarrassing 37-21 loss to the Texans in which Trevor Lawrence threw three interceptions. The rookie NFL head coach can't be fully blamed for the struggles of his rookie quarterback and suspect defense of course--but when a coach is giving more work to Carlos Hyde than James Robinson, it becomes fair to wonder what else he is getting wrong. The Jaguars will attempt to stop tanking against a formidable Broncos defense in Week 2.

Not yet but if things go south, it wouldn't surprise me. 

Did anyone watch Lawrence play?  I heard he threw 3 picks, but other than that I haven't heard much.

Here's the thing about Meyer: he's a hot head. Can be a grade A asshole. I think he's a pretty good coach, not sure it will translate to the NFL. But he's got a rookie QB who just started his first game. The media needs to relax. Also just saw an article about if the "Bengals are the real deal?" Sigh... they won one game at home in overtime over a team that was favored by less than 4 points. The hyperbole with the sports media has never been worse.

Quote: @StickyBun said:
Here's the thing about Meyer: he's a hot head. Can be a grade A asshole. I think he's a pretty good coach, not sure it will translate to the NFL. But he's got a rookie QB who just started his first game. The media needs to relax. Also just saw an article about if the "Bengals are the real deal?" Sigh... they won one game at home in overtime over a team that was favored by less than 4 points. The hyperbole with the sports media has never been worse.
Sounds like a perfect college coach.

Quote: @El_Padre said:
Did anyone watch Lawrence play?  I heard he threw 3 picks, but other than that I haven't heard much.
He played like a rookie first start.  The 3 Int's were all on him, meaning not tipped or WR's fault, just bad decisions and throws.  He also had 3 TD's one of which was a big timer.  I counted 6 clear dropped passes and a couple that would have been nice catches or WR bailout but his WR's did nothing for him.   He had a tendency to throw high over the middle - Yikes - not in the NFL.  He was also under a lot of pressure.  He and Wilson are on bad teams and they will have overcome the shittiness to show their talent.  Wilson was real bad in the first half and then lights out in the second half.  Typical rookie starts.  I would say Mac Jones was pretty steady throughout.  Nothing spectacular from MAC but he does the typical plays very easily/steady eddie.  

Meyer has 3 NCAA titles.  He's not going back there.  He wants succeed where Saban and Spurrier among others flopped.  Meyer's trying to match Pete Carroll and Jimmy Johnson by getting a SB along with the NCAA titles.  And if he can pull it off in Jacksonville?  He becomes to everyone else the legend he already is in his own mind.