Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Murray released

I must have misread this on Twitter about 5 minutes ago: Anthony Barr is starting Sunday??

That can't be right....

I think Murray is a good second back to have.  I know we are set but if Cook/Mattison gets dinged I would bring him back.   

I would take back Tay Train if they believe that both Mattison and KN are going to be injury issues all season

Quote: @minny65 said:
I think Murray is a good second back to have.  I know we are set but if Cook/Mattison gets dinged I would bring him back.   
devils advocate... what would Mattison net in a trade with a team needing a starting caliber RB?  Would he garner a second or third?  We know he is to good for us to keep after next year,  and will likely then only net at best a 3rd round comp pick in 2024 draft,( comp picks are always a year later right?)   if we have Rose, and could bring Murray back on the cheap,  do you entertain cashing in on AM now and add a day 2 pick in 22 instead of a late day 2 pick in 24,  that has to have value doesnt it?

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@minny65 said:
devils advocate... what would Mattison net in a trade with a team needing a starting caliber RB?  Would he garner a second or third?  We know he is to good for us to keep after next year,  and will likely then only net at best a 3rd round comp pick in 2024 draft,( comp picks are always a year later right?)   if we have Rose, and could bring Murray back on the cheap,  do you entertain cashing in on AM now and add a day 2 pick in 22 instead of a late day 2 pick in 24,  that has to have value doesnt it?
Good questions and progression planning that I'm sure GM's think about all day.  

I don't know what Mattison would garner....of course we fans over value our players.  But RB's are not as valued as high as a decade ago so he might get us a 3rd rounder - IDK.  

Yea, I would like to see a little "Rose" in a real game...I say a little because I don't want any injury of course.  

All good thoughts!

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@minny65 said:
Its a good question. If we could get a 3rd for Mattison, I think the team would have to give it serious consideration. I don't think he'd garner a 2nd. Honestly, every year in the NFL good RBs are found all over the Draft. I think Rose would be an ok replacement for Mattison in the context that we have a horse like Cook as lead RB. Rose isn't as good as Mattison, not trying to say that, but he's not a massive drop off either. He can catch also. 

I say this because Mattison's cap number next year is almost $1.2 million on the last year of it. Cap savings would be $1 M. This would be the year to do it for a contending team that has an injury to their main RB during the season, max his trade comp. Would be a bargain salary cap-wise for someone.