Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A read on the Dreaded "K"
Joseph, who grew up playing soccer, is now well versed in football and the Super Bowl. In fact, in February he stood on the sidelines and watched his Tampa Bay Buccaneers defeat the Kansas City Chiefs 31-9 in Super Bowl LV. 
Joseph was on the practice squad then. Then four days after the game, he was signed by the Vikings. Now, he’s the leading candidate to be Minnesota’s kicker for the 2021 season. 
A month after Joseph was signed, the Vikings released Dan Bailey, the team’s kicker since 2018, shortly before he was due to have $1.8 million on his contract guaranteed. Bailey, after a strong 2019 and a good start to 2020, faltered late last season, missing 10 kicks in the final five games. 
When the Vikings’ training camp gets underway on July 28, Joseph is expected to compete with Riley Patterson, who was signed in May as undrafted free agent out of Memphis. But Joseph, who has 16 NFL regular-season games of experience, is considered the favorite. 
“I’m excited,” Joseph said. “I attack every day just as a competition, just trying to focus on myself and better myself and be the best human being and kicker possible that I can be.”I
n 14 games with the Browns in 2018, Joseph made 17 of 20 field goals, with a long of 51 yards, and 25 of 29 extra points. But Cleveland selected Austin Seibert in the fifth round of the 2019 draft, and he beat out Joseph. 
“We ended up drafting a kicker, and that’s real tough to make it when you draft a guy,” Hughlett said. “But (Joseph’s) a great kicker. Sometimes it’s just a matter of being in the right place at the right time.” 
Joseph spent part of 2019 on Carolina’s practice squad, then got into two late-season games with Tennessee, making all nine of his extra points but not attempting a field goal. He kicked in all three of the team’s playoff games, making all nine of his extra-point attempts and his only field-goal attempt. But he was cut before the start of 2020 in favor of Stephen Gostkowski, and he moved to to Tampa Bay’s practice squad.
https://www.twincities.com/2021/06/25/we...cking-job/

Joseph said he’s “ecstatic to be back with” Colquitt as his holder. And special-teams coordinator Ryan Ficken liked what he saw from the kicker during spring drills. 
“He’s a true professional, he works hard at his craft, he knows what he needs to work on, what he’s really good at,” Ficken said. “It’s been great to work with him and see him really kick in person.” 
To make the team, though, Joseph will have to win over Mike Zimmer. Whoever wins the job will be Zimmer’s fifth kicker since he took over as Vikings head coach in 2014. He previously had Blair Walsh, Kai Forbath and Daniel Carlson in addition to Bailey. 
With the Vikings struggling in 2020 on numerous aspects of special teams, Zimmer said they have put “a major, major emphasis on trying to improve that area.” Joseph will try to do his part to help. 
“I’m excited to be a part of this organization,” Joseph said. “Everyone I spoke to (before signing) had only good things to say about being here. … Just to have an opportunity to compete and make the team was good enough for me.” 

Call me crazy, but I'm optimistic that the ST around will be much improved.

*and Lucy places the ball*

I will believe it when I see it.

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
Call me crazy
You're crazy.

Somebody had to do it, and I'm bored  :p

Quote: @Vikergirl said:
I will believe it when I see it.
This. And even when I see it, I'll still doubt it for the next kick. And the next. 

I have a Blair Walsh jersey

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
Call me crazy, but I'm optimistic that the ST around will be much improved.

*and Lucy places the ball*
There's reason to have hope for Joseph. His numbers are actually pretty good, especially when you consider how much he's jumped around. This is his one, best chance to make it on a team long term, where he's the favorite in a two-person race, on a team that plays inside. Let's hope he doesn't **** it up.