Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Interesting draft nugget on 1st round QB's

safe to call the first 3 on that list busts,  the last one is still in the undecided column.

Makes you realize how difficult it is to draft a franchise QB.  And how irritating it is that the Packers not only got back to back franchise QBs but Hall of Fame QBs.
They wouldnt have been near asany division championships.

Mean while the Vikings played “quarterback carousel” all these years.

And then there was 1983 almost 40 years ago (man am I old)

Record Breaking Draft
The 1983 Draft was to be remembered for a number of reasons but principally because of its stellar cast of quarterbacks. Three would go on to be Hall of Famers and become the best to ever play the game. I’m talking about John ElwayJim Kelly and Dan Marino
The 1983 Draft would also be the first time that six quarterbacks would ever be drafted in the first round. 
The other 3:
HINDSIGHT IS 20/20
Of course we now know that in 1984 the 27th pick would go on to have one of the best NFL seasons of all time, let alone as a rookie for the Miami Dolphins. Marino would go on to be considered one of the greatest quarterbacks of all time.
But what of the others?
Tony Eason out of Illinois was drafted by the New England Patriots and would go on to play 8 seasons in the NFL, mostly as a Patriot, but latterly as a New York Jet.
Ken O’Brien of UC Davis, who’s pick can almost certainly be traced back to the first draft where Jets fan booed, will forever be known as the man who was picked ahead of Dan Marino. However O’Brien went on to complete 10 seasons in the NFL throwing for over 25,000 yards in his time with the Jets.
Penn State’s, Todd Blackledge went on to play for the Chiefs for 5 seasons before moving to Pittsburgh, to play with the Steeler’s for another 2 years. Nowadays Blackledge is a colour analyst on ESPN’s College Football coverage.

Basically you need to do due diligence every draft at QB and when you are committed you do what it takes.  Even when you don't need a QB because they don't just appear in a draft class because you need one.

I am very convinced that Zack Wilson is going to be an excellent QB barring injury of course but he is going 2nd and we do not have the draft capital to get him.  Beyond Lawrence and Wilson I would not move up for any of the others.  I would not draft Lance even if he falls to 14.  We could get a Kings ransom for him.  I think we will be in a very good spot to move down some and still get our target and additional picks!

This shows how reliant teams are on traits rather than purely what a player does on the field. Its riskier but you don't need much to really tell if a guy is an NFL player or not.