Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
McShay's mock draft
Quote: @"AGRforever" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
5-1 when Cousins pressured 30% or less. 

Boom
6 fucking games in 3 fucking years and there is any debate about where our priority should be in this draft?  Who the fuck is running this team with a stat like that?  

Yes I've been drinking,  but honestly who else saw that stat and asked WTF is wrong with spielman and Zimmer?  You know damn well they know that number.

Once you have that OL that protects better than that,  you have leverage over the QB,  but not until then.
I mean when you think about it. Thats once per set of downs. 
And we run it the other 2.

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
Vikings get Slater.

i can easily see a draft like this, where all five QBs go in the top 13, plus three wides, two corners, Pitts and Parsons, pushing Sewell to 13, where the Chargers absolutely will NOT let him slide further. Vikings need to trade up two spots if they want Sewell. However, Slater is one helluva consolation. Some observers consider him a better prospect. i don't think I'm there yet. Sewell isn't perfect, but his upside is enormous. 
I think scouts are a little split if Slater is a NFL guard or tackle?
It's borderline. I keep hearing really good left tackle. All Pro guard. I think you gotta put him at LT until he fails.

Whether he stays outside or moves inside probably depends on each teams standards for length at tackle. Slater's arms are 33 inches, Ezra came in at 33-1/8. Reiff at 33-1/4. So not much difference. Vikings would probably put him at LT, keeping Cleveland at RG and, for now anyway, Cole at LG. 

If the Vikings really want to put a bow on this offseason, trade for Brown, or sign Eric Fisher. Then you can still draft a Slater or AVT but put him inside. Slater and Cleveland as pulling guards would be a goddam thing of beauty. 

Quote: @"Wetlander" said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
My hope is we land one of the top OTs, then fill the edge will a guy like Robinson Day 2. Sandwich a S between those two picks or a LB, and we're golden.
I think that is our best option as well.  At 14 (or even with a little trade back), we're in a prime position to add a really good offensive lineman.  This draft has a bunch of toolsy DEs that should be available on Day 2.
i'm leaning that way too. The top OL's (Sewell, Slater, AVT, Darrisaw) seem to be very clean as prospects. Very high floors. While the top edges (Phillips, Paye, Rousseau) have questions and a good amount of bust factor. 

There's also the fact that the Vikings OL staff has been unable to identify middle round OLs, while that's exactly what Patterson has done at edge (Robison, Griffen, Hunter)...even Wonnum looks like a keeper. 

Quote: @"PSBLAKE" said:
if Rick does not get this line fixed and I mean just league average he should be fired.  I am sick of it I am done waiting.  I have liked Speilman and think he is a good GM with one blind spot OL.  
He's only been g.m. for a decade what's the big rush?

Also the coach wants to draft a CB at 14 and his voice carries a lot of weight they tell me.

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"Wetlander" said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
My hope is we land one of the top OTs, then fill the edge will a guy like Robinson Day 2. Sandwich a S between those two picks or a LB, and we're golden.
I think that is our best option as well.  At 14 (or even with a little trade back), we're in a prime position to add a really good offensive lineman.  This draft has a bunch of toolsy DEs that should be available on Day 2.
i'm leaning that way too. The top OL's (Sewell, Slater, AVT, Darrisaw) seem to be very clean as prospects. Very high floors. While the top edges (Phillips, Paye, Rousseau) have questions and a good amount of bust factor. 

There's also the fact that the Vikings OL staff has been unable to identify middle round OLs, while that's exactly what Patterson has done at edge (Robison, Griffen, Hunter)...even Wonnum looks like a keeper. 
The D has truly been re-tooled this off-season and with the hopeful return to form of previous starters there...

They really can take a big leap this year on that OL...They have to in order to move from a playoff team to a true SB contender. 

Say they get Slater or AVT in the 1st round. If Eichenberg is there in the middle of the 2nd round...or Leatherwood, do they trade up to get him? I would be thrilled to see Slater/AVT and then Eichenberg/Leatherwood as our first 2 picks

Quote: @"PSBLAKE" said:
if Rick does not get this line fixed and I mean just league average he should be fired.  I am sick of it I am done waiting.  I have liked Speilman and think he is a good GM with one blind spot OL.  
I like Rick and think he’s done a very good job. Had some great drafts. And this offseason so far has been solid, with the draft still to come. So I’m excited.

RS always drafts for need early so I’m confident he’ll take BPA OT or OG, but I’ll feel much better once I hear the names get called.

We have to hope for either a trade of some kind, or that the Vikings can draft 2 lineman who can start as rookies AND stay mostly healthy all year.

And even though I like Rick and have been a supporter I agree with you: if the OL is terrible yet again then the Vikings would be absolutely justified in letting him go.

It doesn’t matter how nice the bathroom remodel looks, or how great your new hardwood floors are, if the roof is still leaking. Fix the OL Vikings. Please!

I think the combination of Spielman and Zimmer have done a
generally good job.  Certainly better
than average as our bad years are only average. 
That said, we’ve seen generally good teams be repeatedly crippled, by
catastrophically bad OLines, and I’ve run out of patience for this to the point
that I don’t care if they’re generally good or not.  If Spielman provided us with an average OLine
throughout Zimmers tenure, I think we’d be in the playoffs every year except
his first and last years.  I think there’s
a very good chance, that no matter who we draft this year, that our OLine performs
worse than last year.  We had a crappy
OLine last year.  We lost our second best
player from last year.  We’re going into
the draft with an OLine that has 1 good player, 1 meh player, and 3 bad players
and our coaches haven’t shown any ability to improve player performance on the
OLine.  I think we realistically need to
come out of the offseason with two above average starters to bring our OLine up
to an average level, and it’s a lot to ask of a rookie to play above average
right away, much less to ask it from two rookies to both play above average
right away.

The only plan I see that has a realistic chance of fixing
the OLine in 2021 is to trade for Brown Jr without using our 2021 first and then
draft the best OLine available with our first pick.  Drafting OLine with our first 2 picks is the
second best option, but you probably have to trade up into the 2nd.

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
Slater earned a ton of money vs Chase Young. He's definitely more technically sound than Sewell at the moment. But Sewell is rare. Put him in at G year 1 to season him. He'll be Quinton Nelson 2.0
They said Jaylen Mayfield made a ton of money against Chase Young 2 years ago. Until he didn't...Chase Young makes my all midriff team.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
5-1 when Cousins pressured 30% or less. 

Boom
6 fucking games in 3 fucking years and there is any debate about where our priority should be in this draft?  Who the fuck is running this team with a stat like that?  

Yes I've been drinking,  but honestly who else saw that stat and asked WTF is wrong with spielman and Zimmer?  You know damn well they know that number.

Once you have that OL that protects better than that,  you have leverage over the QB,  but not until then.
Well, that was 2020, not Cousins' tenure here. But, yeah. Let's fix the ol and even a horrid D can stand in our way.