Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vikings have some OL dollars
@MaroonBells Do you want to find out what Brown can do for you?

I'm a little more than lukewarm depending on the price. I'm a bit warmer if this is an indicator that we will move from a scheme fit to a get the best player and scheme to the collective strength of the unit.

Zone fits Cook and the athletic guys we have on the ol. We ran more power concepts with Ezra. Whatever we can do to improve the line, the interior in particular, I'm down with. 

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"Knucklehead" said:
Now that Reiff has been cut, I'd like to see them resign Rashod Hill. That shouldn't add much to the total.
I do too. He's an extremely valuable player to have as depth. Worst-case scenario is he starts at LT. I don't think that kills us. If you move O'Neill to LT, an Udoh / Hill comp at RT would be a good one. 
I think I would rather see Hill at LT and ONeill at RT,  Hill has looked pedestrian at best on the right side,  but seems to be much better on the left.
Aren't most proposals to move O'Neill to LT built around the hope that Udoh can become a good RT? I think that's what Maroon really meant by "Udoh / Hill at RT" - Hill as an insurance policy in case Udoh can't handle the spot.

So much planning would be easier if Udoh had played more, and if O'Neill had been tried at LT...even the Lions game. But.....

Re the idea of adding someone like Brown indicating the Vikings are willing to implement power blocking schemes: that wouldn't agree with the enthusiasm for Kyle Hinton as a possible starting OG in the near future, does it? Hinton is super athletic and weighed 295 when drafted.

Quote: @"Jor-El" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"Knucklehead" said:
Now that Reiff has been cut, I'd like to see them resign Rashod Hill. That shouldn't add much to the total.
I do too. He's an extremely valuable player to have as depth. Worst-case scenario is he starts at LT. I don't think that kills us. If you move O'Neill to LT, an Udoh / Hill comp at RT would be a good one. 
I think I would rather see Hill at LT and ONeill at RT,  Hill has looked pedestrian at best on the right side,  but seems to be much better on the left.
Aren't most proposals to move O'Neill to LT built around the hope that Udoh can become a good RT? I think that's what Maroon really meant by "Udoh / Hill at RT" - Hill as an insurance policy in case Udoh can't handle the spot.

So much planning would be easier if Udoh had played more, and if O'Neill had been tried at LT...even the Lions game. But.....

Re the idea of adding someone like Brown indicating the Vikings are willing to implement power blocking schemes: that wouldn't agree with the enthusiasm for Kyle Hinton as a possible starting OG in the near future, does it? Hinton is super athletic and weighed 295 when drafted.
IMO,  any scheme that requires undersized lineman is a mess waiting to happen.  no matter how good they are there are times throughout every game where the offense needs to pick up a tough yard and the defense knows it and if the OL doesnt have the beef to get that done then IMO thats a recipe for failure.  not being able to get any push in the run game usually leads to no anchor in pass protection.  even if a guard isnt going to be leading on sweeps,  I want guards that can push DTs off the ball on run plays and stone wall them at the LOS on passing downs.  its great if those big men can move a little, thats a bonus, but being able to move their assignment IMO is more important the getting around the end and sealing back on a run or getting down field on a DB.

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
@MaroonBells Do you want to find out what Brown can do for you?

I'm a little more than lukewarm depending on the price. I'm a bit warmer if this is an indicator that we will move from a scheme fit to a get the best player and scheme to the collective strength of the unit.

Zone fits Cook and the athletic guys we have on the ol. We ran more power concepts with Ezra. Whatever we can do to improve the line, the interior in particular, I'm down with. 
Don't get me wrong. I will not be upset if we end up with Brown. As you say, it would signal a shift NOT to a power scheme, but less dependent on uber-athletic linemen. Keep Cleveland at guard, add another guard in the draft and suddenly you have a starting offensive line where all five are 25 or younger and every one of them is on a rookie contract. Of course, that won't last long, but it's damn fun to think about.

I think I might prefer a cheaper route: a cheap Lane Taylor (or similar) at right guard, then Slater, Darrisaw, or AVT competing with Cleveland for the LT slot, loser moving to LG. But either one sets us up for the most promising line we've had in years. 

@MaroonBells Taylor or Zeitler if we go with a guy on their third contract. But, Lamp is more likely as Rick tends to hit guys on their second deal.

Regardless, I'm hoping we have some holes plugged prior to the draft.

The Vikings haven't had a road grader in 10 years since Hutchinson- 

As a run first team, that makes NO sense to me.

At some point the Vikings have to get tired of Akiem Hicks destroying the interior of our offensive line every year. He ragdolls these light in the pants offensive lineman we have every year.  I would love to see us spend some money and get some bigger interior lineman 

Quote: @"supafreak84" said:
At some point the Vikings have to get tired of Akiem Hicks destroying the interior of our offensive line every year. He ragdolls these light in the pants offensive lineman we have every year.  I would love to see us spend some money and get some bigger interior lineman 
Hopefully, the Bears cut Hicks and the Vikings pick him up.