@MaroonBells said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@supafreak84 said:
@JimmyinSD said:
Considering the potential issues with Hunter,   DE really is just as big of a need as DT and OG and if you look at it from a financial standpoint a stud  DE on a rookie deal saves more than either of the other 2 positions when it comes to finding quality help in FA.  

I don't think there will be any issues with Hunter.  If you follow his social media the guy is working out like a beast and looks like a beast as always. I fully expect him to be a full go and wreck havoc again next season. 
Its all good,  but we really won't know much until the hits become real and unexpected,  we were told Hughes was good to go as well but that didn't last long.

There's also the little matter of his reported desire to have his contract vastly increased.   
You're overreacting. When we signed Hunter's extension it was perfect timing. For us, not him. Now, by comparison, he's ridiculously underpaid, ranking 18th among edge rushers in terms of per-year salary. 

But as i've said before, I don't ever remember a player sitting out an entire year on IR and then demanding a raise. Maybe it's happened but I don't recall any. It's not exactly high-pointing your value.

Vikings might want to use that to their advantage and extend him whether he asks for one or not. Might get an injury discount. Plus, it would help with our cap space in a season where we need all we can get. 

Over reacting?  Saying that DE should be a first round consideration because a guy missed entire season and reportedly wants a pay raise from a team that will likely have to make cuts just to get under the projected cap?  Even if he comes back perfectly healthy and doesn't demand another 6 million a year,  we still have 2 DE spots and only 1 spot filled and after the abysmal showing by our DL this last year I would likely be fine with taking DE in the first for my reasons stated initially.   Barely a reaction let alone an over reaction.
Of course DE should be a consideration in the first. But that has nothing to do with Hunter. If Hunter wants an extension they should give him one. There’s no question he’s underpaid. 
And the Vikings won’t have to cut anyone in order to extend him. Extending Hunter will save money on the 2021 cap, because, like all contracts for young stars, you’d be putting most of that money into future years. Vikings are over $100M under the estimated 2023 cap and have only two contracts (Thielen and Cook) hitting 2024. 

They should make him show that he is fully healthy,  giving a large extension to a guy that just missed a full season is a bad idea.  And as Geoff has pointed out kicking that contractual cap hit can down the road is a bad idea for long term cap health.

Also he isn't likely to save much off this year's  cap if he's given a big pay raise because that just puts even more pressure on future years caps if you put a large part of it in signing bonus.
If they extend him this year--which they may decide to do whether he demands one or not--then they'll trim money from this year's cap. There's no doubt about that.

He's a $17M cap hit in '21. That's well above the 2020 cap hits for both Joey Bosa and Myles Garrett, players who just signed $130M deals last offseason. It's $7M over Garrett's 1st year hit. So yeah, Hunter's 1st year cap will go down when they put more years onto his contract. 

And no this is not can kicking. That's about older players. Hunter is 26 years old. They would have no issues adding 2 or 4 more years to the contract of a 26-year-old player at his talent level. Every young superstar's contract is built that way. Bosa, Mahomes, Watson, C-Mac, Dalvin, whoever...

i have no problem waiting until he proves he's healthy. 
If you wait until hes proven healthy then you won't get that cap savings for 21 that you keep talking about. 
You'd still get it. You just wouldn't be able to use it. But i suspect the Vikings will do their due diligence about the injury. Either wait or put some injury language into the contract. 

While the Vikings might get a discount if they extend now, waiting until next year might make the most sense for both parties. By then Hunter will be 19 months removed from the injury. Hunter will probably be high-pointing his value, and that's also when Cousins' big hit comes and we could probably use the savings. 
Hunter won't take a discount this time. When he signed his contract in 2018 his agent really didn't forecast the DE market well but that isn't the Vikings problem. Injury or not pass rushers are in such high demand if a doctor gives the thumbs up a team will be willing to give him $24-25M annually. The Vikings have the leverage but I kind of get Danielle's side. He went to the Vikings last year and asked for a raise and got told to play out 2020 and they'd take care of him. Being only 2 years into his new deal that was a fair answer and probably what was expected. He missed the season due to injury. Now they want to push it off another year? The Vikings still hold all the cards but that is where the frustration stems from. 

Now when it comes down to what the Vikings do, that is more tricky. His health will be the million dollar question but there are some benefits to renegotiating now from the team side. Mainly because you can roll through the guarantees faster. Right now none of Hunters $12.15M salary is guaranteed. If you sign him to a 5 year $120M extension with $50-60M in guarantees you are better off using the $12.15M this year to account for a portion of that new guarantee. It mitigates risk in a sense. 

Not a 'discount' the way you're thinking of it. It's just a season on IR factoring into his new contract. And it will if they do it this year. It may not amount to much on the surface but it will be a factor one way or the other. 
It won't hurt total contract value, only structure. Instead of getting 50% guaranteed he may have to settle for 30% guaranteed or take more vesting guarantees and or per-game roster bonus'. That won't be a huge deal on Hunter's side since he's after total AAV and is already locked into the next $36M of his current deal having no guarantees. So if the Vikings give him the total $'s he's after I don't think they'll scoff at a lower % guaranteed. That allows the Vikings to backload it a bit more too.