Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rudy: A Contract Redo Ain't Happening
Article: Vikings TE Kyle Rudolph Says He Won't Take a Restructured Deal This Offseason - Sports Illustrated Minnesota Vikings News, Analysis and More

"Early [in the 2019] season, the writing was on the wall," Rudolph said. "I had like seven or eight catches through the first six games, it was absurd. I was literally blocking all the time."

I think he wants out and will do his best to get a trade or release.  our run first  offense with a porous oline is stupid.  We have fast athletic weapons at every position and we off tackle run run run.

After seeing how KC just marched up and down the field at will using a modern offense and maximizing its weapons with a gimpy Mahomes against a good Bills defense.  I am done with the 1997 offense we run.  BTW look at KCs offensive line no big names a bunch of late round picks but well coached.  

our personnel might just be nearly as good as KC if used right.

Quote: @PSBLAKE said:
I think he wants out and will do his best to get a trade or release.  our run first  offense with a porous oline is stupid.  We have fast athletic weapons at every position and we off tackle run run run.

After seeing how KC just marched up and down the field at will using a modern offense and maximizing its weapons with a gimpy Mahomes against a good Bills defense.  I am done with the 1997 offense we run.  BTW look at KCs offensive line no big names a bunch of late round picks but well coached.  

our personnel might just be nearly as good as KC if used right.
He doesn't want out,  he wants to be used more in the passing game,  who can blame him,  when like you say,  look at all these other offenses using their TEs like primary weapons and he is getting used like a OT eligible. 
Probably the best hands on the team, and historically the best red zone weapon for the team and he got 1 target in the red zone that I remember and that was what looked like a throw away that he snagged for one of the best catches of the year.. regardless of how much or little he makes its stupid that they don't use him in the passing game more often.

I listened to Lebers podcast yesterday and Rudy very much wants to win a championship in Minnesota,  says even if he ends his career somewhere else that he is in minny for life.  It's his kids home.  Its a good listen if people got the time.

He also points out that despite having a top 5 offense,  the failures of the season are very much on the offensive failures this season.  Turnovers , not flipping the field, etc,  basically its on them for leaving the young D in a bad situation to much early on.  Also talks about the 4th and 1 in Seattle and how pathetic it was that they couldn't convert there.

How many catches did Viking TE's have as a whole vs NFL Avg?

Or how many TD's? That might give us some perspective on how the position is used by the Vikings vs other teams...

I suspect with our OL being as poor as it is at pass-pro, Rudy needed to help protect more than avg.  Either way, I just dont see him here next season with the young guys they have at the position. 

I like Rudolph a lot, but he’s certainly not worth
$9M+.  I like Rudolph as a red zone
weapon.  I really like our 3TE rotation
right now.  I do think he could get a
little more production, but he’s still pretty lumbering in routes and I don’t
think there’s a big overall downgrade from Rudolph to Conklin.  I think if we could resign him at $3-4M a
year that’s pretty appropriate and close to what he’d get on the open market.  I totally get that he might feel he can get
better and have to do what’s right for him and his family.  If we had the option, I’d much rather get a
$9M FA OG than Rudolph.

Just some stuff on one of our current down roster TEs, Hale Hentges, who's supposed to be a terrific blocker. 

https://www.colts.com/news/hale-hentges-...hing-staff
https://www.al.com/sports/2019/08/colts-...block.html

They will hang onto him and continue to overpay because they base decisions on sentiment.  Same with the overpay for Barr who they should have let walk when the Jets signed him.