Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rousseau A Tempting Target
https://www.forbes.com/sites/stevesilver...2f18a1301d

Few have a higher upside. I gotta think Zim would be ecstatic if he fell to #14.

Boom or bust, but definitely more boom. His youth and upside sounds a lot like Danielle. Reminds me of Jason Taylor a little bit too. 

I heard someone say he's a DT trapped in an edge's body. Not sure what that means.

I think the evaluation with Rousseau is around how productive he can be in the near-term. His ceiling is massive and there are no physical limitations to his game. But he has played DE for one season, albeit an incredibly productive one. He showed a natural ability for the position but his lack of technique is going to make the transition to the NFL much tougher. If you balance the risks associated with the development I just think you can draft someone like Ogundeji in the 3rd and develop him if you trust your coaching staff. 

Teams that don't have the ability to mold balls of clay will like Rousseau's potential. I would tend to think teams like the Vikings feel they can take a similar ball of clay with a slightly lesser ceiling in the 3rd and end up achieving better value. Could be completely wrong and they'll love Rousseau, but just my take. I think their take on Paye and Ojulari may be a bit different since you're going to get more day-1 production. 

With the offense being a solid guard or two away from being Super Bowl ready, dont @ me, I would like to see a ready to go day one DE. I dont care if that is Paye, Rosseau, or someone else, draft a DE that can get roughly 7 sacks next year. Pair that with Danielle's projections and look out with that DL.

What I like about Rousseau is the success he's had inside. I think as his body matures he'll be able to carry 300 easy. He's winning with length and strength. He gets some techique, he'll be a monster.

Rousseau is tempting... but in the top 85 prospects, the edge position has way more to offer than the DT class.

Rousseau might have more value than DT Christian Barmore, but the Vikings can trade up from round three and find a quality edge rusher easier than finding a quality DT.

Would love to see the Vikings trade up into the second round twice and draft DT, DE and OL with 3 picks in first two rounds.

Filling needs and drafting for quality over quantity is more important this year than in years past because Zim's and Rick's seat might be getting a little warmer heading into the 2021 season.

I'm ok with Rousseau at pick 14 as long as Rick is willing to trade up from the 3rd round and land a talented OL or DT. 

Trading back and collecting more picks for next year will make me puke. 

Quote: @Carl Knowles said:

Would love to see the Vikings trade up into the second round twice and draft DT, DE and OL with 3 picks in first two rounds.

[Image: giphy.gif]

Rousseau is tempting... but in the top 85 prospects, the edge position has way more to offer than the DT class.

Rousseau might have more value than DT Christian Barmore, but the Vikings can trade up from round three and find a quality edge rusher easier than finding a quality DT.

Filling needs and drafting for quality over quantity is more important this year than in years past because Zim's and Rick's seat might be getting a little warmer heading into the 2021 season.

I'm ok with Rousseau at pick 14 as long as Rick is willing to trade up from the 3rd round and land a talented OL or DT. 

Yep, i've been saying that as well. The draft last year added a lot of depth, dont need that this year. We need impact players at those positions so get aggressive with all of our later picks and move up

Honestly think we should do that every year. With so many picks last year and so many again this year, you can bet we'll use several to move up. But taking the odd extra pick here and there to gather more rolls in the '22 crap shoot is a good idea. I think it's smart and I think you're going to see more and more teams do it. Just watch. I'll bet you good money Denver does it this year. 

Over time, team X with 10 to 12 to 15 picks every year is going to fare much better than team Y with just 7. It's just the law of averages. And if that team happens to be one of the NFL's better drafting teams? Count me in.  

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@Carl Knowles said:

Honestly think we should do that every year. With so many picks last year and so many again this year, you can bet we'll use several to move up. But taking the odd extra pick here and there to gather more rolls in the '22 crap shoot is a good idea. I think it's smart and I think you're going to see more and more teams do it. Just watch. I'll bet you good money Denver does it this year. 

Over time, team X with 10 to 12 to 15 picks every year is going to fare much better than team Y with just 7. It's just the law of averages. And if that team happens to be one of the NFL's better drafting teams? Count me in.  
I agree that more picks helps the law of averages and chance you'll hit on 1 of the about 100 NFL players in each draft. Where I think it backfires a bit is if you overdo it. They did well with their 15 picks last off-season but eventually you run into the bottle-neck of only being able to keep 53 guys. Sure in some cases you may be swapping out a better depth player for another but you're marginalizing your return. So while the quantity strategy works you need to analyze how many legitimate roster spots you have available.