Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NFL combine officially canceled
Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
This is part of the reason I'm not as upset missing that 2nd round pick for Ngokoue. If last years scouting process was tough, this year is even worse. 

The combine was going to makeup for a lot of the scouting time missed on the road. That is where they really get to know the players and talk to coaches, teammates, etc. I may very well be wrong but I think a lot of underclassmen are going to stay in school since scouts wouldn't have been looking at them prior to this year. The top guys will still come out but the middle round guys will probably end up better going through a more traditional scouting process.  
this should make losing a higher pick more upsetting IMO.   the top 50-75 players are pretty easy to find,  sure their order might get screwed up a bit,  but its those guys with out the top ratings that are IMO going to carry a higher bust factor the more limited the workout and meetings will be,  especially considering how many players we will need to make an impact coming out of this draft in year one.
I'd disagree. Even amongst those 50-75 players you need to have a feeling on how they fit into your locker room. A facetime call isn't going to get your that level of confidence. Its amazing how much these guys are vetted out during the scouting process. Then add in that say 10-15% of those top guys opted out of the season. Now you need to figure out what they've been doing, are they in shape, etc.. It gets worse outside of the top 75 picks too. 

Point is, there is going to be a lot of assumptions that get baked into how teams draft. 

You mean we are going to have to use game tape to evaluate a player !?!?   / SARC

(If Paton doesnt take it all to Denver)

Bummer. I consider us one of the better drafting teams. Hate to see the apple cart get upset. Hopefully RS can still work his magic, sans-Paton & combine.