Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spielman joining Lions as special assistant

Hire Matt Millen

Maybe hire back Caldwell...

Maybe hire his brother if we decide to move on?  I like Spelly and want him to stay but you never know.  If the Lions hire the 49'er DC - Saleh (??) very good track record and a Michigan native it would be a very good move IMO.  Of course a GM hires the HC (in most cases) so they will want that filled first and then HC.  

I just posted yesterday or the day before that that is what I wanted the Vikings to do.  Can Zimmer and keep Spelly with a strong eye for a young draftable QB keeping Kubiak as OC and then bringing in Saleh as HC.  If that combo of Spelly and Saleh are in Detroit instead of course I think that can start a quick turnaround for the Lions.  But I would what that combo and Kubiak here.  

@ Minny, I'm not that enamored with Kubiak, not like I thought I'd be, hoped to be. Dalvin Cook would not agree with me, I know that for sure. 

Hell, I still yearn for the offense Pat ran a few years back. Thats where I really felt the game plans attacked the opponents weaknesses, leveraged our strengths and 1/2 time adjustments were just stellar. 

Will be interesting to see if ownership keeps Zimmer and staff after this year. Next 4 weeks are going to be really important on that front and draft order too. 

Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:
@ Minny, I'm not that enamored with Kubiak, not like I thought I'd be, hoped to be. Dalvin Cook would not agree with me, I know that for sure. 

Hell, I still yearn for the offense Pat ran a few years back. Thats where I really felt the game plans attacked the opponents weaknesses, leveraged our strengths and 1/2 time adjustments were just stellar. 

Will be interesting to see if ownership keeps Zimmer and staff after this year. Next 4 weeks are going to be really important on that front and draft order too. 
Yea that was one of our more efficient offenses in many years under Shurmur.  I don't think he would jump back over here from Denver as OC so he is out of reach unless we are up for giving him a second chance as HC?  I just think a veteran OC/QB coach would be good to have for a drafted rookie QB which I want.  I like Kubiak for that but Shurmur would work as well. Plus keeping Kubiak keeps some stability and overall it is not our offense holding this team back.  

Quote: @"minny65" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:

Yea that was one of our more efficient offenses in many years under Shurmur.  I don't think he would jump back over here from Denver as OC so he is out of reach unless we are up for giving him a second chance as HC?  I just think a veteran OC/QB coach would be good to have for a drafted rookie QB which I want.  I like Kubiak for that but Shurmur would work as well. Plus keeping Kubiak keeps some stability and overall it is not our offense holding this team back.  
I'm not advocating bring Shurmur back cause I think that's just a pipe-dream. 

I know the offense is rated highly in many categories and it's the D that is truly the achilles heel this season.

But if I were wanting to go in another HC direction? Cause I thought Zimmer has peaked? I wouldn't continue to implement a run heavy offense. 

Artful, outside zone runs with Cook? Absolutely. 

Run heavy? Meh

Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:
@"minny65" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:

I'm not advocating bring Shurmur back cause I think that's just a pipe-dream. 

I know the offense is rated highly in many categories and it's the D that is truly the achilles heel this season.

But if I were wanting to go in another HC direction? Cause I thought Zimmer has peaked? I wouldn't continue to implement a run heavy offense. 

Artful, outside zone runs with Cook? Absolutely. 

Run heavy? Meh

OK.

I just don't see any potential HC candidates who are pass offense guru's.  I'm sure their are but I don't know any?  Whenever I look up top potential HC's Eric Bienamy (??) name keeps coming up as a great OC.  I just don't buy into that when he doesn't really call the plays (mostly Andy Reid) and I really don't think Mahomes needed much development Smile.

My eye is on DC Saleh from 49'ers.  I would lean a HC from the Offense side but I don't see one.  I also think Zimmer and his D schemes have run their course.  Saleh is a younger more progressive DC that I think could recharge the Defense at the same time as coaching the whole team.  That is also why I would want to keep some Offensive continuity in Kubiak.