Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sources: Pete Carroll Extended
The Seahawks have awarded a multiyear contract extension to head coach Pete Carroll, all but ensuring he will coach nowhere else and finish his decorated career in Seattle, league sources told ESPN.
The deal is believed to make Carroll among the highest-paid coaches in the NFL, sources told ESPN.
The Seahawks made the move quietly, long before their game Sunday in Buffalo against the Bills, according to league sources.
Although no one in the Seahawks organization has confirmed the extension, one source told ESPN that the belief is the deal will tie Carroll to Seattle through the 2025 season, when he will be 74 years old.
Carroll, who turned 69 in September, is the NFL's oldest head coach, but few can match his energy and positivity. The Seahawks are right in the thick of the NFC West title hunt again this season, entering Sunday with a 6-1 record, and quarterback Russell Wilson playing at an MVP level.
Now in his 11th season with the Seahawks, Carroll is the winningest head coach in franchise history with a record of 106-60-1. Carroll has led Seattle to eight playoff appearances, four NFC West titles, two Super Bowl appearances and one Super Bowl victory.
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/3027...-extension

Once upon a time Bud recommended we hire this guy...  Confused 

Vikings nearly hired Seahawks' Carroll as head coach in '92Bud Grant put in a good word for then-Vikings assistant Pete Carroll back in 1992, but the team opted for Dennis Green as head coach instead.It was coincidental that I walked into Bud Grant’s office at Winter Park on Wednesday just as he hung up on his close personal friend Pete Carroll, the coach of the Seattle Seahawks, who face the Vikings on Sunday.
I didn’t get a chance at the time to talk to Carroll, a close friend of mine, but I did talk to him later during his weekly conference call.
Still, seeing Grant resulted in a long conversation about Carroll’s connection with the Vikings — Grant hired him as a defensive backs coach in 1985 — and how close he came to being the Vikings’ head coach rather than Dennis Green.
The Vikings were conducting a coaching search during the 1992 offseason when Grant got a call that the team was down to their final two choices.
“[Then-Vikings owner/team president] Roger Headrick called me and he said, ‘I’m down to two coaches, Denny Green and Pete Carroll to hire for the Vikings.’ He said, ‘What do you think?,’ ” Grant recalled. “I said that I knew Denny Green only because I had corresponded with him and talked with him on the phone. I did not know him personally.
“But I did know Pete Carroll personally. So I said, ‘Pete Carroll would be the ideal coach for the Minnesota Vikings. His rapport with the players, his rapport with management, his rapport with the press, he’d be a perfect fit for the Minnesota Vikings head coach.’ ”
The Vikings hired Green instead. You want my opinion? Had Carroll been hired instead of Green, although Green did a good job here, Carroll would still be the Vikings head coach.
We also talked about how Grant played a big part in Carroll’s decision to draft Russell Wilson with the 75th pick in the 2012 draft. Seattle scouts were unanimous against making the move because of Wilson being 5-10, considered short for an NFL quarterback.
Grant told Carroll he should feel comfortable taking Wilson because of his proven durability in his great college career at North Carolina State and Wisconsin, and because former Hall of Fame quarterback Fran Tarkenton wasn’t any taller than Wilson and had great success with Grant. Grant was right, and so was Carroll for drafting Wilson. He took the Seahawks to the Super Bowl the past two seasons, helping them win the big game in 2013.
Still, Grant said he didn’t have any early indication that Carroll was going to be a head coach when he hired him in 1985.
“I wasn’t thinking about head coaches, I was thinking about assistant coaches,” Grant said.
Carroll has a personality that grows on people. There were reasons besides winning or losing for why he got fired by the Jets and Patriots. In both cases he did a good job, and then he made Southern California into a powerhouse and Seattle into a Super Bowl winner.
I have an autographed picture of Pete Carroll that I cherish, hanging on a wall in my office.
https://www.startribune.com/vikings-near...360244401/