Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A look back @ recent history...
Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"PurpleCrush" said:
You're right about that. Spend all that money on a QB but don't give him an OL to protect him. Not good scouting. 

On another note, I always have those what if moments about Teddy. I just wonder how different things would have been. It must be eating Zimmer up to see him having some nice moments in Carolina.
did you watch him last night?   the falcons broke Teddy.  :o
Sure, but it's just one game. Overall he's played well for a Carolina team no one thought would do much, especially without McCaffrey.

My point overall though was how different things would have been had he not suffered that injury. I just wonder how things would have unfolded.

Quote: @"PurpleCrush" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"PurpleCrush" said:
You're right about that. Spend all that money on a QB but don't give him an OL to protect him. Not good scouting. 

On another note, I always have those what if moments about Teddy. I just wonder how different things would have been. It must be eating Zimmer up to see him having some nice moments in Carolina.
Sure, but it's just one game. Overall he's played well for a Carolina team no one thought would do much, especially without McCaffrey.

My point overall though was how different things would have been had he not suffered that injury. I just wonder how things would have unfolded.

That harkens me back to Culpepper as well...

Grew up watching Page, Eller, Marshall and Larsen and I miss the great defensive battles.  But the league is driven by marketing and flash and the young folks love arena football style scorefests.  Personally I think making offense so easy takes a lot of challenge and difficulty out of the game.  Lots of boring scoring imo but I'm an old fart.

Thing is, a great D wins the SB about every 15 years--85 Bears, 00 Ravens, 15 Broncos.  But a good or great qb wins the other 14 times.  But this team is clinging to the idea it will do it with defense and the likes of Captain Kirk. 

No wonder we fans are all going out of our minds.

Quote: @"comet52" said:
Grew up watching Page, Eller, Marshall and Larsen and I miss the great defensive battles.  But the league is driven by marketing and flash and the young folks love arena football style scorefests.  Personally I think making offense so easy takes a lot of challenge and difficulty out of the game.  Lots of boring scoring imo but I'm an old fart.

Thing is, a great D wins the SB about every 15 years--85 Bears, 00 Ravens, 15 Broncos.  But a good or great qb wins the other 14 times.  But this team is clinging to the idea it will do it with defense and the likes of Captain Kirk. 

No wonder we fans are all going out of our minds.
interesting observation on the years between Defense winning.  Sure there are teams they sneak in amd screw it up here or there with above average both like the seabitches.

Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:
@"PurpleCrush" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:
I luv me a good D. I grew-up weaned on the Purple People Eaters, Doomsday, Steel Curtain etc. More recently that Bucs D that won it all, the Ravens D too. 

But I dont think you can win in this era of pro-ball with a suffocating D. Not with the rule changes, how QB's play the game today etc.

You'll still need to be as balanced as possible on both side of the ball, but I think Zimmer's philosophy is not the one appropriate going forward. 
Same here. I love teams that trot out onto the field with a badass D that bully opposing teams.

I don't have a problem with Zimmer's philosophy, I have a problem with the guy executing the offense. JMO, but Kirk is not a guy who seems to inspire much confidence in a team, and we all know how limited he is when plays break down or he has to make adjustments on the fly. A QB who does have those attributes can cover a lot of deficiencies.
Who didn't love the voice of John Facenda???

This is where you and I digress a bit. I have a problem with the guy executing the offense AND Zimmer's philosophy of winning and how to construct a football team tomorrow.  

It's time for a change imo. This season just adds the underscore and exclamation points. 
I heard Chuck Foreman give an interview with Dan B last week. Was interesting to hear his take on the team this year. When asked about Cousins, he just said that "I am in Maryland, I have seen him play a long time, he needs everything around him to be good. Nothing earth shattering, but it is certainly the same as most fans have witnessed. He was basically pushing for a different QB without saying as much. I love Chuck.

@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"PurpleCrush" said:

I liked Bridgewater too, still wish him the best.

But when I wonder how it would have unfolded here if he had not suffered his devastating injury, I think about the conditions other Vikings QBs have faced.

Teddy would have had a terrible offensive line in front of him and been under constant pressure every year because this team somehow will not or cannot build a decent OL.

He would have lived through 5 offensive coordinators in 5 years.

And he would have played for a head coach that dreams about throwing the ball less than 20 times a game, who starts every game trying to emphasize the run and never develops a rhythm with the passing game, but then asks his quarterback to start throwing to catch up in the second half, and who criticizes his quarterback in press conferences.

So, know how I think it would have played out? Bridgewater would have regressed, like Ponder regressed and Cousins has regressed. We need more than "the right QB" - we need a team that supports a quarterback's development and success.

Quote: @"Jor-El" said:
@"PurpleCrush" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"PurpleCrush" said:

But when I wonder how it would have unfolded here if he had not suffered his devastating injury, I think about the conditions other Vikings QBs have faced.

Teddy would have had a terrible offensive line in front of him and been under constant pressure every year because this team somehow will not or cannot build a decent OL.

And he would have played for a head coach that dreams about throwing the ball less than 20 times a game, who starts every game trying to emphasize the run and never develops a rhythm with the passing game, but then asks his quarterback to start throwing to catch up in the second half, and who criticizes his quarterback in press conferences.

So, know how I think it would have played out? Bridgewater would have regressed, like Ponder regressed and Cousins has regressed. We need more than "the right QB" - we need a team that supports a quarterback's development and success.
All of that could have happened, for sure. But Teddy seemed to progress very well his second year. 11-5, playoffs, helped lead the team down the field in freezing temps for a potential playoff win (I don't need to remind anyone what happens next). And then that knee injury really screwed up things going forward. Going out and trading a 1st for Bradford, and adding part of his salary to the trade too. That went nowhere, and the following year a perfect storm happens (which led to Shurmur getting a HC job) but still led Spielman going after Cousins hard.

I just don't think the franchise really recovered all the way following the injury. Almost feels like they were trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. DeFilippo comes in and tries to turn the offense into an Air Raid, which we all know Zimmer hated. Stefanski comes in, does a good job along with Kubiak and goes on to get a HC job himself. 

The difference for me is, Teddy was Zimmer's guy. Ponder is a whole different story that I don't want to ruin my Sunday morning over. Cousins, I don't know, but I get the feeling he was never Zimmer's choice as a QB. 

I know I come off as a Zimmer apologist, but I just feel that the guy's been a victim of some shitty circumstances while he's been here. He's not perfect, but compared to what we've had since Denny was around, I'll take it. I just wish the poor guy had a lil bit more luck on his side. That's why I ponder (sorry, not sorry for the pun  :p) what could have been had Teddy not shredded that knee. JMO, but I feel that there would have been a bit more consistency these past few years. 

Oh well, time to get ready for another Viking Sunday. For better or for worse.

@"Jor-El" said:
@"PurpleCrush" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"PurpleCrush" said:

I know I come off as a Zimmer apologist, but I just feel that the guy's been a victim of some shitty circumstances while he's been here. He's not perfect, but compared to what we've had since Denny was around, I'll take it. I just wish the poor guy had a lil bit more luck on his sid
Zimmer has been snake-bit...That goes all the way back to AP and his "Texas way" of disciplining children. 

The Vikings gave Zimmer all he could hope for in resources and a chance to chase his dream to be a HC in the NFL. I feel good about that for him.

I genuinely like the guy (unlike Green) and wish him the best. He truly cares about his players and winning. I hope he has a lovely retirement on that awesome ranch in Ky. 

I also believe its in the best interest of the franchise to thank him profusely and move on to tomorrow after this season. 

Keeping him around another year just doesn't feel right. Kinda like clinging to an old marriage you no longer are vested in cause it's easier and more comfortable than moving on.