Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Expectations v. Reality
This is a team that has now given up safeties in 3 consecutive regular season games.  I just wanted to write that and let it sink in.  You really need to have a go to plan when that close to the end zone -- plays that are dependable.  

Expectations are always inflated especially with only a trickle of information coming out of camp.  That being said, here are my expectation v. reality.
  • Cousins:  Expectations:  I expected him to be as good as last year even with losing Diggs.  Playing within himself, etc.  Reality:  He is so looked on Thielen now that our offense looks more predictable than it already was.   He also seems to be more locked into his first read.  As he has lost confidence, he has become more rigid in his approach to each play.  Yes, and on a Hail Mary, you should make it to the end zone.
  • Offensive Line:  Expectations: I was hoping/expecting that Kubiak and his team could make this line transform into a good line (like they did in Denver) through schemes, etc.  Reality:  Nothing fixed, just a rearranging of the deck chairs on the Titanic.  There is a stubbornness regarding who to play on the OLine which I find mystifying.
  • Wide Receivers/TEs:  Expectations:  I know the loss of Diggs would hurt but I expected Irv Smith to improve dramatically and be more integrated into the offense, Bisi to have a good role and Jefferson to have a growing role.  Reality:  The TEs have disappeared from the offense and Cousins doesn't look for Bisi.  I also find it remarkable that Hollins is not on the roster to add speed.
  • Defensive Line:  Expectations:  I thought they would be average and that one of the groomed youngsters would show real improvement.  Reality: Nope -- not average and no appreciative improvement.
  • Linebackers:  Expectations:  Here you expect Capers to make an impression with creative blitz packages etc.  However, the linebackers have looked very vanilla and been asked to do more in coverage.  Reality:  Because the DLine has been so bad, blockers are getting to the linebackers allowing for longer runs.  Really, the poor DLine has made the linebackers look worse than they are.
  • DBs:  Expectations: Growing pains for cornerbacks but growth toward competence.  Safeties bring stability.  Reality:  Cornerbacks are basically meeting my expectations given how little pressure on the opposing QBs.  The safeties, I hate to say it, seem a step slow this year.  This may be because they have to react to so many breakdowns by the CBs in front of them that they are not well positioned.
So, those are my thoughts as of now.

So in other words, it's a total Shit Show. 

I dont know how Gladney graded out yesterday? It didnt look too bad from what I can remember. Harrison had a decent game yesterday too. 

I think Zimm played a lot of cover 2 to help the baby db's...That didnt help the run d at all. 

I knew Kendricks was going to have a much more difficult year with Pierce out. 

I forgot that it was 3 games straight with safeties. Yes it is terrible planning, but it also just says our OL is so weak it cannot protect the QB even when it is do-or-die. It’s an absolute waste to pay a QB and a RB well but expect them to succeed without a line.

Quote: @Jor-El said:
I forgot that it was 3 games straight with safeties. Yes it is terrible planning, but it also just says our OL is so weak it cannot protect the QB even when it is do-or-die. It’s an absolute waste to pay a QB and a RB well but expect them to succeed without a line.
To paraphrase Dirty Harry, a coach has gotta know his line's limitations.

When OTA were cancelled, the ability of Zim and defensive Viking coaches to teach, train and develop new young players,into a completwitter.comprehensive system, was eliminated. 

No Preseason games eliminated the Vikings ability to gauge  where the players actually are in learning/developmental process.

Quote: @Mattyman said:

When OTA were cancelled, the ability of Zim and defensive Viking coaches to teach, train and develop new young players,into a completwitter.comprehensive system, was eliminated. 

No Preseason games eliminated the Vikings ability to gauge  where the players actually are in learning/developmental process.
Every team had to deal with that, but it was definitely poor timing to have that during a year they are trying to revamp the defense. Though I will say that I don't think the young corners have been terrible. Hill has definitely had some questionable moments, but I think in general they are doing alright for young DBs. The bigger concern is the DL. They are getting gouged on the run and have not been able to generate much pass rush, which is putting a ton of pressure on the secondary. Hopefully Hunter will be ready to come back sooner than later, but I am not sure how we fix the DTs in season.

I've been very disappointed with the offense. They flash some brilliance at times, but have trouble sustaining drives. Cousins is locked in on Thielen and not trusting the other receivers and what should be a strength of the team is dragging them down. The OL has issues as always, but I expected a lot more from the offense. I was also worried that losing Diggs would hurt, but replacing his production and Cousins' trust in him has been a challenge. I was expecting a group effort between Irv Smith, Bisi Johnon, & Justin Jefferson and Cousins doesn't seem to be giving those guys the chances they need.