Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Remember When Zim Said He's Going To Spend More Time With The O?
He should stop that...immediately...

I'm not too concerned about the complete shit show the D has been...but that was Frazieresque...a quick peak at Zimmer's career record as a DC was somewhat reassuring...

The little step forward the OL made against Seattle was followed with two steps back...

Not what I wanted to see...but, no one hurt is always the best thing you can say about pretend games...

Gotta admit he has both the first string O and D playing equally bad...

It has been said many times that Zimmer prefers a ball control offense. I've just never seen a team be so committed to ball control that they refuse to go for a first down until 3rd down. 

Quote: @IDVikingfan said:
Gotta admit he has both the first string O and D playing equally bad...
Funny! But...has he given the defensive unit the impression that they are so good that their coach thinks they are so good he doesn't need to worry about them, and it has gone to their heads? 

A lot of what I saw last year could have been explained as a case of players getting off to a great 5-0 start, making all their Pro Bowl travel plans during the bye week, then coming back for the end of the season and acting like, "Huh?!? Do we really have to work hard for the entire season now that we read about what a great defense/team we are???"

All the big contract extensions and accompanying articles, which all said something to the effect of "Vikings great defense is starting to be paid the way they deserve", could have added to the attitude. I'm not saying Rhodes, Griffen, and Joseph should not have been paid; that was necessary. But the key challenge for the coaches of any team that starts improving is to keep players motivated.

I think Zimmer should have said, "I'm going to spend less time down in the weeds working out defensive plays and most of my time dealing with the attitude of the entire team." 

I am not liking the excess emphasis on ball control offensive. We have to spread the field and move the chains. The defense seems stagnant right now. They need to get their heads out. I understand the need for balance between defense and offense for Zimmer but he has to not get consumed by the offense. I do hope Shurmur has more to offer than what has been shown.