Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ESPN: Vikings counting on NFL's youngest group of corners in retooled defense
Courtney Cronin ESPN Staff Writer

Mike Hughes is a seasoned vet at the ripe old age of 23.
The former first-round pick became the most experienced member of the Minnesota Vikings' cornerback group -- the youngest in the NFL with an average age of 23 years and 111 days old, according to ESPN Stats & Information. He has played in just 20 NFL games, including five starts, after injuries limited his first two seasons.
Minnesota was 15th in pass defense in 2019 (233.6 yards per game) after ranking third in 2018, second in 2017 and third in 2016. The middle-of-the pack finish and declining play from their starting corners forced the Vikings to go looking for answers this offseason. That resulted in wiping the slate clean at the position.
The Vikings let Xavier RhodesTrae Waynes and Mackensie Alexander walk in the span of a week. Three draft picks -- Jeff Gladney (first round), Cameron Dantzler (third round) and Harrison Hand (fifth round) -- form a youth movement at the position with Hughes, Holton Hill (23) and Kris Boyd (23).
The amount of turnover would undoubtedly yield concerns and questions. But as soon as training camp started, skepticism was quickly met with optimism.
"I feel good about the corners," Zimmer said. "I've been watching them here for a couple weeks now, and I feel good about them. I feel like we've got a chance to have some good corners. We're going to feed them as fast as we can to get them ready, but I think they're going to go in there and do a good job. I kind of like this group.

More at LINK: https://www.espn.com/blog/minnesota-vikings/post/_/id/30201/vikings-counting-on-nfls-youngest-group-of-corners-in-re-tooled-defense

[Image: yikes-4.png?w=213&h=205]

1981 49ers. 3 rookies in the secondary. Might want to see what that team did..

It is what it is. This team has to prove it can beat Green Bay, because they didnt last year. Don't care if rookies are in, just get 'er done. Good Game 1 barometer test to see how its going Sunday at U.S. Bank stadium. 

Quote: @"kmillard" said:
1981 49ers. 3 rookies in the secondary. Might want to see what that team did..
Comparing the NFL in 1981 to this year is a serious stretch.

Teams did not pass as much and the rules were different.

Other than that then yeah, I guess it could be the same.

I hope so.

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
It is what it is. This team has to prove it can beat Green Bay, because they didnt last year. Don't care if rookies are in, just get 'er done. Good Game 1 barometer test to see how its going Sunday at U.S. Bank stadium. 

FIRST GAME  OF THE SEASON, AGAINST GREEN BAY NO LESS AND IT'S TELEVISED DOWN HERE IN ARIZONA!  WOOT!!

Quote: @"ArizonaViking" said:
@"StickyBun" said:

FIRST GAME  OF THE SEASON, AGAINST GREEN BAY NO LESS AND IT'S TELEVISED DOWN HERE IN ARIZONA!  WOOT!!

Yep, it's the national game I think. Showing here in Denver as well.