Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Private Wi College cancels Pence Commencement ...
Private Wisconsin college cancels Pence commencement speech
Associated PressAugust 27, 2020 — 2:33pm
MADISON, Wis. — A private Milwaukee college has canceled plans to have Vice President Mike Pence deliver a commencement address this weekend, citing unrest in nearby Kenosha where police shot a Black man, Jacob Blake, and two people were killed during protests that followed.

Wisconsin Lutheran College said Thursday that “after further review with careful consideration of the escalating events in Kenosha,” it decided to not have Pence deliver the speech.
The vice president will be replaced by the Rev. Mark Jeske, of St. Marcus Lutheran Church.
Kenosha police shot Blake seven times in the back on Sunday evening, minutes after responding to a domestic incident. Blake survived but is paralyzed from the waist down, and the shooting sparked several nights of protests and violence. On Tuesday night, authorities allege that Kyle Rittenhouse, a 17-year-old police admirer from nearby Antioch, Illinois, shot and killed two protesters and wounded a third.
Pence was scheduled to deliver his speech outside at the private college, which has about 1,200 students and is about 40 miles from Kenosha.
More than 270 students and alumni signed an open letter posted online objecting to the visit, which was announced prior to the violence in Kenosha.

Pretty small minded.  What did Pence have to do with the shooting?

Quote: @"IDVikingfan" said:
Possible they don’t want the drama of having him around?  Would you?  

Ready to open yourself and home up to misguided anarchists and wannabe call of duty players?

I thought the Vice President of the USA was worth something. Anyway, let's start with this.... what has he said about the shooting?

Quote: @"Skodin" said:
@"IDVikingfan" said:
Possible they don’t want the drama of having him around?  Would you?  

Ready to open yourself and home up to misguided anarchists and wannabe call of duty players?
Why not, I believe in free speech.  I've listened to pols that had much different views that mine.  No need for any drama, free country, free speech.  Can't let the anarchist jackboots win and suppress free speech.

The WI governor needs to call in the National guard to stop the rioting and police need to arrest perpetrators, and DA needs to charge and prosecute.  This is WI, not Portland or Seattle.

Quote: @"mblack" said:
@"IDVikingfan" said:
I thought the Vice President of the USA was worth something. Anyway, let's start with this.... what has he said about the shooting?
Small minded to change speakers.  Did not say the VP was not worth anything. Nice exaggeration.

Heard some folk from Portland talking the other day, it's a small area a couple of blocks and has little effect on the rest of the town, different perspective than I had of it. 

"call in the National guard to stop the rioting and police need to arrest perpetrators"
This is the issue, rioting is to the 1st amendment as mass shootings are to the second.  I don't trust the right wing conservatives to define the line between protest and riot.  Those with gun fetishes can go just about any where they want, walk the streets, hide them in cars, but there is not a crime until the bullet penetrates the flesh.  Where are their lines on the issue.   

@"mblack" said:
@"IDVikingfan" said:
Small minded to change speakers.  Did not say the VP was not worth anything. Nice exaggeration.
Typical response. You carefully forgot the part where you asked..."what does he have to do with the shooting" and also did not read where I asked "what has he said about the shooting?"
By not saying anything he told the country it was not important to him so why should they bring him in? Again he is the VP of the USA and one would expect him to care or say something on such a stage you know as the VP label gives him the power to (if we bypass the simple and often ignored fact in  today's world that he should care as a human) but going by his public statements so far he does not care so why bring him?
At the bold...discussions would be way easier here if people read full sentence instead of pasting cynical templated rubbish.