Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Did Gladney have off the field issues in college?
I don't ever remember hearing anything about that, and the article doesn't really dive into details save for failed drug tests.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/06/01/richar...trey-lance

I always think it’s interesting to look into why teams take risks. Which brings me to the second of the Vikings’ first-round picks, Jeff Gladney. The Vikings were able to pick up an extra fourth-rounder to move down from 25 to 31, which better positioned them to roll the dice on Gladney, who’d had some issues (failed drug tests were part of it) at TCU. One reason they felt OK? Geography. The hope is that getting Gladney (who they believe is a good kid) out of Texas and bringing him to Minneapolis will force him to grow up a little bit, the same way such a move from Florida led Dalvin Cook getting past some of the trouble around him at Florida State. Will it work? We’ll see. But it’s clear the Vikings believe they can create the right kind of environment for guys like Gladney.

If there had been anything publicly negative on Gladney at TCU, the Strib/PP/Twin Cities media would have ripped the Vikings up, down and sideways 5 minutes after the pick just to keep in practice.

The Richard Sherman comments on athletes speaking about the George Floyd situation was far more interesting than the Gladney nothingburger.

Quote: @RS Express said:
The Richard Sherman comments on athletes speaking about the George Floyd situation was far more interesting than the Gladney nothingburger.
Maybe so, but being that was Vikings-related and seemingly unsubstantiated...I thought was interesting.

Quote: @PurpleCrush said:
@RS Express said:
Maybe so, but being that was Vikings-related and seemingly unsubstantiated...I thought was interesting.

Wasn't criticizing your post (we're all interested in anything Vikings-related these days).  Just thinking that if the author is going to put that out about Gladney, he should have included some substantiation. 

Quote: @RS Express said:
@PurpleCrush said:
@RS Express said:

Wasn't criticizing your post (we're all interested in anything Vikings-related these days).  Just thinking that if the author is going to put that out about Gladney, he should have included some substantiation. 
That was my thought. Usually during draft season anything & everything about a prospect will come out. So to not have heard that and then see it in a column that's pretty popular baffled me a bit.

Gladney's off-the-field issues are not pronounced or well known. He got ejected for frighting Iowa State receiver Joe Scates and almost suspended by the big 12 for it. He was a four year starter at TCU, so if he does have a drug issue it must have been pretty well covered up? I can't find a lot of dirt on this kid?

The Vikings have taken risks on more than just Dalvin Cook.
Percy Harvin, Everson Griffen, and Holton Hill (he went undrafted, but the Vikings have invested in him non-the-less) are just a few that come to mind.

I would say the Vikings track record recently is ok when they take chances on players with a red flag. But to even suggest Gladney is a "red flag" is probably grossly unfair in my opinion. Is it even fair to compare him to Dalvin Cook?

Quote: @Carl Knowles said:
Gladney's off-the-field issues are not pronounced or well known. He got ejected for frighting Iowa State receiver Joe Scates and almost suspended by the big 12 for it. He was a four year starter at TCU, so if he does have a drug issue it must have been pretty well covered up? I can't find a lot of dirt on this kid?

The Vikings have taken risks on more than just Dalvin Cook.
Percy Harvin, Everson Griffen, and Holton Hill (he went undrafted, but the Vikings have invested in him non-the-less) are just a few that come to mind.

I would say the Vikings track record recently is ok when they take chances on players with a red flag. But to even suggest Gladney is a "red flag" is probably grossly unfair in my opinion. Is it even fair to compare him to Dalvin Cook?
Yeah, just thought it was odd having never heard of it prior.