Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why the poor coverage on Friday is actually a good thing
Borrowing some from this superb breakdown of some Viking coverage breakdowns.
http://vikingsterritory.com/2017/analysi...-secondary

Rhodes was in excellent coverage, just lost out to an amazing catch.  Alexander was fooled badly by the underrated Baldwin, who is similar to our Adam Theilen, a master of route running.

So Alexander has work to do and this was a good baptism by fire for the youngster.  hopefully he can learn, forget and carry on growing into the position.  I expect that will be our weakness on D this year and may be a bit frustrating at times. 

But what I really want to highlight, and I have touched on it in other threads, some of the issues were due to us having a great coach.  Instead of resting on his laurels and waiting for offenses to catch up to him, he forges ahead.  2 years ago it was the double A gap pressure.  Last year that faded away and BRob was the joker, learning offensive protection calls and then exploiting them on the field.

This year, he is changing up some coverages. 
Quote: the Vikings were toying with new coverages during the game, which may have led to the blown assignments.
“We were working on some different coverages in that game,” Zimmer said. “I think we need to continue to get that,” he added.
He has used pattern matching concepts already, but it sounds like he is testing new ideas.  Maybe they weren't quite right, maybe the guys didn't fully trust them yet, but that is part of being on the cutting edge.  And it was only preseason.  So instead of playing vanilla, Zimmer is mixing up some crazy flavors to see what works.  At first I was thinking, why tell people that?  But then I wonder, well it puts doubt in the offensive minds as they attempt to figure out how to attack the Vikings.  You know Green Bay is working to solve the riddle that has really slowed their offense down.  So now they have a bit more to work on without knowing exactly what they are looking for.  That is why I love our coach. 

I thought this was going to be about getting to work on our KR team.

It would be interesting to know what they were trying to do with the coverages against Seattle. The results were not good, but that may help explain it to a degree. I still have concerns about our depth, so hopefully they have a much better effort against San Francisco.

Zimmer does add a new wrinkle to the D every year. It did seem like Seattle had adapted to the overload looks that worked so well last season, so maybe they do need to mix things up in the backend to allow some of their pressure schemes to work. It will be interesting to see how the D changes this year. I kind of think he might do more with the DTs now that we have depth.

Agreed not to look too much into any preseason activity. But I will say this: the defense has no excuses. Its talented and these guys have been indoctrinated into Z's system now for awhile. It should perform at a high level each week during the regular season. In preseason, they are experimenting and that can lead to chunk yards by opposing offenses.

Quote: @Tyr said:
It would be interesting to know what they were trying to do with the coverages against Seattle. The results were not good, but that may help explain it to a degree. I still have concerns about our depth, so hopefully they have a much better effort against San Francisco.

Zimmer does add a new wrinkle to the D every year. It did seem like Seattle had adapted to the overload looks that worked so well last season, so maybe they do need to mix things up in the backend to allow some of their pressure schemes to work. It will be interesting to see how the D changes this year. I kind of think he might do more with the DTs now that we have depth.
Someone mentioned the pattern matching concepts as being what they were working on.  Probably speculation, but good chance they are right.  I don't understand much about that type of coverage but it seems to work well in Zim's D. 

Depth is a concern for sure.  Seeing Sherels in there after Newman drilled Baldwin at the goal line wasn't ideal for sure.  He played solid but is just overmatched physically.

I think on the D-Line we will see plenty of BRob at DT.  He is too talented to keep off the field.  Hunter is a freak and ascending quickly, but Brian still draws the doubles.

Quote: Smile Smile @greediron said:
@Tyr said:

Someone mentioned the pattern matching concepts as being what they were working on.  Probably speculation, but good chance they are right.  I don't understand much about that type of coverage but it seems to work well in Zim's D. 

Depth is a concern for sure.  Seeing Sherels in there after Newman drilled Baldwin at the goal line wasn't ideal for sure.  He played solid but is just overmatched physically.

I think on the D-Line we will see plenty of BRob at DT.  He is too talented to keep off the field.  Hunter is a freak and ascending quickly, but Brian still draws the doubles.
Newman has to remember he is getting to old to put the smack on people. He just needs to make the tackle. 

Quote: @Norse said:
Smile Smile @greediron said:
@Tyr said:

Newman has to remember he is getting to old to put the smack on people. He just needs to make the tackle. 
kinda speaks volumes to the notion of rolling him to safety.  that was a nice hit but it was far from what I would classify a violent collision that would explain coming out of the game.  newman just doesnt have the frame for those kind of collisions.

I sometimes wonder if Zim isn't too smart for his own good tho. These players seem to take forever to fully understand his concepts and be trusted on the field. 

I have to wonder if a player like Chris Harris on the Broncos, for example, a perennial all pro, would've even gotten the chance on a Zimmer team. Here's a guy who wasn't just undrafted, he wasn't even signed in the wave of FA signings after the draft. He was a training camp invite—in other words, a camp body. Now he's first team all pro. 

Quote: @Norse said:
True, but in the end they are football players.  And Baldwin tried to get in the endzone, and Newman said no. 

Baldwin got up real quick, too quickly.  He was a hurting unit as well but his pride got him up to act like nothing was wrong.  But he was loopy as hell. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
I sometimes wonder if Zim isn't too smart for his own good tho. These players seem to take forever to fully understand his concepts and be trusted on the field. 

I have to wonder if a player like Chris Harris on the Broncos, for example, a perennial all pro, would've even gotten the chance on a Zimmer team. Here's a guy who wasn't just undrafted, he wasn't even signed in the wave of FA signings after the draft. He was a training camp invite—in other words, a camp body. Now he's first team all pro. 
Pattern matching isn't new, they already use it.  Zim addressed it in the PC yesterday.  Said they were working on some stuff, what they liked they will keep, what didn't work they won't.  Perfect time to use it IMO.

I have no idea how that translates to Harris playing for Zimmer.  Thielen ring a bell?  If they are smart football players, they would get a chance.  Barr started as a rook.  Gedeon is getting a chance.  Kearse and Harris are getting chances.