Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Minneapolis Residents
I've been listening to dan barrero the last 2 days talking about the desperate situation that is allowed to take place in the 6 block area surrounding the site of Floyd's death.   Is this just drama radio or is that really becoming a complete shit show of lawlessness?

Hes making it sounds like the city is just turning its back on those business owners and residents in that area despite their pleas for help.

Well, I'm not a Mpls resident living 25 minutes Northwest, but we do have friends in So Mpls and Downtown East, so I frequented there a lot before Pandemic.  

I think how it's been managed leading up to the last week or so is different than how it will be managed on a forward basis

Minneapolis police vow to restore safety at George Floyd SquareFBI will help monitor troubled Chicago at 38th
By  Zoë Jackson Star TribuneMarch 18, 2021 — 4:56am
The Minneapolis police chief vowed Wednesday to restore safety in and around the closed-off intersection where protesters gather to memorialize George Floyd's death.
Police Chief Medaria Arradondo gave no timeline for the changes, though he said federal agents will help fight crime and monitor the area at 38th Street and Chicago Avenue, which has fallen under increased gun violence.
The intersection, now known as George Floyd Square, became a spot for mourning and reflection after Floyd died while being restrained by Minneapolis police last summer. City-erected concrete barricades that have kept the intersection closed to traffic are now being guarded by civilian occupiers often unwelcoming to law enforcement.
But violence disturbing the once-peaceful memorial has frustrated residents and business owners inside the square and surrounding it.
Arradondo said at a news conference that law enforcement will put an end to the criminal activity there.
"We cannot allow groups of individuals to feel that they're emboldened," Arradondo said. "They have to be held accountable. Period. … Yes, I'm putting them on notice. Enough's enough."
The announcement was met with mistrust from some at the square who had recently put out a plea for help, saying they are hesitant to believe change will come.
Arradondo said the best remedy is to reopen the intersection, but he did not specify when that would happen.
Though officials have been signaling their desire to reopen for months, they said recently that they would not reopen the area until after the trial of former police officer Derek Chauvin, who is facing murder charges in Floyd's death.
The police chief indicated Wednesday that a reopening could come sooner.
https://www.startribune.com/minneapolis-...600035496/