Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oli Udoh
This is one big, strong dude. I hope he keeps improving and finds himself a place as a starter at some point....starting might be too much yet. Good guy to keep an eye on.

[Image: 1164953512.jpg.0.jpg]

I read the article on him about possibly being moved to the guard position.  Big, strong and athletic...mammoth of a man.  One hell of a road grader.

Quote: @ArizonaViking said:
I read the article on him about possibly being moved to the guard position.  Big, strong and athletic...mammoth of a man.  One hell of a road grader.
I missed that. Was going to suggest sliding him inside despite not spending any real time there.

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2020/4/2/21203427/minnesota-vikings-next-man-up-ol-oli-udoh

Moving him inside to guard seems like a helluva waste of arm length, but if he comes on this summer and becomes one of the best 5, you have to find a place for him. Vikings did re-sign Rashod Hill, presumably to be our swing tackle, so maybe that's the plan.  

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
https://www.dailynorseman.com/2020/4/2/21203427/minnesota-vikings-next-man-up-ol-oli-udoh

Moving him inside to guard seems like a helluva waste of arm length, but if he comes on this summer and becomes one of the best 5, you have to find a place for him. Vikings did re-sign Rashod Hill, presumably to be our swing tackle, so maybe that's the plan.  
Agreed, MB. Keep that long strong frame at OT. 

If I move him to G, it's next to O'Neill. He's never had live snaps other than on the right side. As far as wasting that obscene arm legth, I think it gives him an advantage over everyone he'll face.

Quote: @MaroonBells said:

It is a waste. But its more of a waste if he's sitting behind Hill as the #4 OT and can push Elflein or Samia at RG. Whether that proves to be the case or not, we'll see. My worry with Udoh inside is that although he has the anchor and length his punch timing isn't great and he doesn't move well through traffic. So if I were a coach I would probably be leery pushing him inside. 

Although there would be more moving parts I think O'Neill at LT with Hill/Udoh at RT with Reiff inside with guard instills more confidence than Reiff/O'Neill at OT with Udoh at RG. 

I wish we had more tape on Udoh because his limited time plus his shape presents a potential good player here. 

ONeil-Reiff-Bradburry-Collins-Udoh would be an interesting line to me as I am still high on Collins due to size, speed and intelligence based on limited reps weve seen

Probably boom or bust line but BIG nonetheless

O’Neill is easily athletic enough to play LT and played some at the spot in college. With that said, he’s been good at RT and only gave up one sack last year. Ideal zone scheme guy with long term starter expectations at this point.

Udoh is also an athletic guy. Great fit in zone scheme. I haven’t seen much of him though. He played sparingly if my memory is right. I expected a fairly steep curve with him due to the huge bump in competition. Intriguing prospect. If he’s in our top 5 they’ll need to find a spot for him. In my opinion, he’d potentially be a very good fit at guard. I’d like to see him at LG and get him watching some Steve Hutchinson tape. That’s where I’d be working him now. 
Reiff has been average at LT. He gave up 5 sacks last year. Not horrible, not great. Sadly, that seems to be the position nowadays. I don’t see an immediate starter at the position in our draft so I’d keep him. The only thing I don’t like is his huge cap number. Personally, I’d extend him a couple of years to reduce it. Overall he’s a pretty good player. I wouldn’t have issue keeping him around. 
Bradbury looks like he can be a good one. Walking into the NFL and starting at center is a tall order, but he did ok. 4 sacks given up. He had some mistakes here and there but expect he’ll ramp up fast.

Guards: total question mark. If they were moving Udoh inside I’d be feeling a little better but in my opinion it’s our big weakness on offense - at any position. Here’s where I’m hoping for help in the draft or later cuts.

Edit: Totally forgot Aviante Collins! I’d like to see how this kid has developed as well. Perhaps competition will be the difference to get these guys to step up. 
Pat Elflein shouldn’t be starting anywhere unless something dramatic happens with him and he suddenly gets better. I don’t see why he’s getting the opportunities he’s getting or what the coaches are seeing that I’m not. 
Forgot to hit the draft too! Kid’s running all over today so tough to finish a sentence. Anyhow, I like the competition at the RG spot. Someone has to step up and take it. Is it Samia? That would be great. I’m completely serious about Udoh at LG. His size and athleticism could be a game changer at the spot. 
My primary target would be a LT in the draft even with a first rounder if possible. As expensive as Reiff is, I hate starting rookies on the blind side. Even the best ones are often not ready for NFL speed. I’d develop the guy for a year. That means you have a seasoned vet, a young developing backup and the ability to jettison Reiff and his big contract next year without a big hit. For the rookie he can also compete on the inside rookie year even if he’s the eventual RT or LT. It’s possible we’ve got our LT in O’Neill already. Gives some flexibility in the draft.