Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spielman's draft history
I stumbled across this today and thought it was worth posting here:  https://www.si.com/nfl/vikings/news/vikings-draft-preview-ranking-rick-spielman-classes

It is interesting looking through the list and realizing why I will never be a scout.  I had high hopes for the following draft picks:  
  • Edmond Robinson, LB, Newberry
  • David Yankey, OL, Stanford
  • Jabari Price, CB, North Carolina
  • Marcus Epps, S, Wyoming (may pan out as an Eagle)

I don't agree with the writer's rankings of the classes, the comments about them, or the overall assessment that Rick has been an "above average" drafter. Below is every 1st and 2nd rounder drafted by Rick the GM. And it doesn't include Danielle Hunter and Stefon Diggs, who were taken after the 2nd round. It also doesn't include post-draft finds like Adam Thielen, Anthony Harris, Justin Coleman, Mike Boone, and the guy everyone will be talking about this summer, Brandon Dillon. 

This SI writer isn't one of them, but the problem with most fans' knee-jerk reactions to Spielman is that they are myopic. They're as predictable and lacking in perspective as criticizing play calls or the lack of blitzing. They see disappointments like Kalil and busts like Treadwell and go "see, he sucks" without realizing other teams, almost all teams, have far more of those. 

I challenge anyone to find five GMs with a better list than Spinman's list below. Honestly, I'd be surprised if you found one. 

https://twitter.com/Luke_SpinmanNFL/stat...52037?s=20

It is incredible difficult to assess how much credit or blame Spielman should get for any particular player drafted.  For instance, take the CBs on this list:  Smith, Rhodes, Waynes, Alexander and Hughes.  Now, I would guess that Zimmer's opinion is given the most weight in deciding what DBs to draft.  However, if you look at the list, the two best (Smith and Rhodes) were drafted before Zimmer landed on the scene.  So, do you give Spielman more credit for those two and less blame/credit for the other three?

Quote: @VikingOracle said:
It is incredible difficult to assess how much credit or blame Spielman should get for any particular player drafted.  For instance, take the CBs on this list:  Smith, Rhodes, Waynes, Alexander and Hughes.  Now, I would guess that Zimmer's opinion is given the most weight in deciding what DBs to draft.  However, if you look at the list, the two best (Smith and Rhodes) were drafted before Zimmer landed on the scene.  So, do you give Spielman more credit for those two and less blame/credit for the other three?
It shouldn't be difficult at all. I'm not sure whey we so often wring hands over who might have had some nebulous influence on the decision. I've heard Rick's critics say that, "well, George Patton must have had a say in that." Really? How do you know? George Patton isn't the one sitting in college stadiums half the year. Or others say "it's a corner, it was a Zimmer choice." We don't know that either. Zimmer's not a scout. He just provides "player types" to the scouting staff that fit his schemes.

What we do know is that, whether you're in sports or business or politics, when you're in charge, it's YOUR decision. For better or worse. You will (and should) get the credit when it goes well and you will (and should) get the blame when it doesn't. There are good leaders and bad leaders. I don't need to tell anyone what a bad leader is. But a good one hires good people, and then encourages, values and USES their input to make the best decision possible. 

I have my problems with how we game plan, prepare for big games, etc. But I truly believe that when it comes to the draft, the FO, scouting staff and coaching staff have landed upon a working relationship that has become very good at what it does. And it seems to be improving. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@VikingOracle said:
It shouldn't be difficult at all. I'm not sure whey we so often wring hands over who might have had some nebulous influence on the decision. I've heard Rick's critics say that, "well, George Patton must have had a say in that." Really? How do you know? George Patton isn't the one sitting in college stadiums half the year. Or others say "it's a corner, it was a Zimmer choice." We don't know that either. Zimmer's not a scout. He just provides "player types" to the scouting staff that fit his schemes.

What we do know is that, whether you're in sports or business or politics, when you're in charge, it's YOUR decision. For better or worse. You will (and should) get the credit when it goes well and you will (and should) get the blame when it doesn't. There are good leaders and bad leaders. I don't need to tell anyone what a bad leader is. But a good one hires good people, and then encourages, values and USES their input to make the best decision possible. 

I have my problems with how we game plan, prepare for big games, etc. But I truly believe that when it comes to the draft, the FO, scouting staff and coaching staff have landed upon a working relationship that has become very good at what it does. And it seems to be improving. 
 I think we are going to have to agree to disagree on this.  For example, it is more than reasonable to say that Priefer approved the drafting of both Walsh and Carlson (especially since he worked them both out pre-draft http://www.startribune.com/vikings-kicker-daniel-carlson-must-channel-the-good-blair-walsh/492262921/).  I think Priefer should get more of the blame for the fact the Vikings drafted them (though perhaps not in terms of where they were drafted) than Spielman.  I can't imagine Zimmer not having very strong opinions regarding available DBs and Spielman not deferring somewhat to Zimmer's choice in DB given Zimmer's reputation for developing DBs and the fact he is head coach and a good working relationship with the head coach is important for Spielman.  Frankly, if there is any position where I see Zimmer's thumb on the scale, it is at DB.  Really, if you have someone with the reputation of developing great DBs, wouldn't his opinion matter a lot -- especially if he is the head coach?  

This view is shared by professional people also: 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:

https://twitter.com/Luke_SpinmanNFL/stat...52037?s=20
Agree that's an impressive list. On draft day. 

Of course Kalil, Floyd, Patterson, Treadwell were busts.  Yet,  I was over-the-moon on all of them but Treadwell, at the time drafted.  (I wanted TE Hunter Henry > Treadwell).

The rest of the list is excellent, imo.   

One last caveat:  I wanted WR DK Metcalf (or AJ Brown)  >> Irv Smiff (see Hunter Henry, above)  last year.  
But I do  have faith TE Smiff will be a solid Vike for years to come.  

I like Rick the drafting GM over Rick the FA/day-to-day GM.
Except when he trades down in the middle rounds for multiple 7ths.   

Any list that does not start with 2007 is intellectually dishonest.  The man was the VP of Player Personnel and ran the scouting department, etc.  He provided the reports to Childress for review just like he did with Frazier and Zimmer.  They all get together and go to the Senior Bowl and combine and then have visits.

The dude did not come to Minnesota, after already being a GM, and go get donuts.  He had MAJOR input into the personnel decisions and thus, those years should be included.

It still does not matter though.

Winning the Super Bowl is the goal and he has not gotten the team there.  Yet.

Howie Roseman, John Elway, and John Lynch did it quickly.  Lynch did not win it but at least the team made it.

Grading his drafts is great I guess.