Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Austin Jackson
Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
FWIW, Paul Alexander, a former OL coach, thought it you need a LT a year from now, take Jackson. If you need one now, take Jones.

Personally, I'm hung up on trading out and gathering more picks...Reiff gets a redo, and we grab a G in the second to replace Elf.
Right now, there are so many I would take ahead of Jackson. I'd even take Bartch ahead of him. 

Maybe the best thing to do is re-do Reiff, keep him at tackle and then, ideally, draft a future LT in the 2nd round who can start immediately at left guard. I think Bartch is ideal for that. 

FWIW, Paul Alexander, a former OL coach, thought it you need a LT a year from now, take Jackson. If you need one now, take Jones.

Personally, I'm hung up on trading out and gathering more picks...Reiff gets a redo, and we grab a G in the second to replace Elf.
The interior O-line class this year is not great and due to that you're going to overpay (in draft capital) for day one starters. You're better off filling that hole in free agency and looking at OTs come April since they run thought the 3rd round. 

The x-factor will be if they can re-do Reiff. I'm not convinced and he has no reason to take a pay-cut to try being a guard for the first time. For the sake of money I really question if they will consider moving on from Reiff outright and spending the money on a LG and resigning Rashod Hill as insurance. I keep coming back to the fact they thought Hill could start until O'Neill exceeded expectations. They would draft an OT early but that at least gives you numerous combinations for both tackle spots since Hill can play on both sides and O'Neill could slide over to LT if they needed him to. Wouldn't completely count Udoh out either. 

I'm not sure how we fill any hole in FA without opening up another one. IOL in the second is about the right spot. If we are moving on from someone for the sake of dollars, there are less risky moves than your competent LT. But, I am intrigued by the multi-verse notation of our tackles. Really depends on what Hill could get, how ready Oli is, and could O'Neill make the move. 

I'm not sure how we fill any hole in FA without opening up another one. IOL in the second is about the right spot. If we are moving on from someone for the sake of dollars, there are less risky moves than your competent LT. But, I am intrigued by the multi-verse notation of our tackles. Really depends on what Hill could get, how ready Oli is, and could O'Neill make the move. 
We know kline and Oniell work where they are so leave O on the right,  hill never looked comfortable over there,  if Hill returns theres your LT to compete with your Rookie.  After that its Samia, Elf, and another (FA or Rookie) working out LG.  

I think it's sort of becoming a go to move for most here to completely disregard the notion of doing anything in Free Agency. Which is ironic considering that Brez is still in the Front Office.

Rhodes/Waynes/Alexander/Griff/Joseph/Reiff...Maybe 3 on that list at the very most will return. 2 is far more likely. 1 is a distinct possibility. That's a decent chunk of change Barrnone, JimmyinSD et al. And yes, Jor El, I do believe Rick & Mike will let most of them walk rather than giving them the standard Jared Allen/Adrian Peterson overextension.

So why wouldn't Minnesota be able to go after Glasgow or McGovern? I'm not talking Thuney-level guys. A Tier 2 FA LG would be a massive upgrade from Elf.

But that has to be accompanied by drafting a Tackle. I'm not risking my livelihood on Hill at LT, Udoh at RT w/ O'Neill sliding to LT, Samia stepping up, etc.

If Jones is gone and Jackson is graded lower then trade down unless Blacklock or Fulton or another highly rated CB is there. Late 1st or Early 2nd is still a prime spot to potentially land Jackson or someone else. Plus the extra pick(s) can be used to continue to shore up the Defense.

There's a lot of different ways the team can go to fix the Line. Free Agency is legitimately one of them in spite of how the Salary Cap currently looks.

Quote: @FSUVike said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
I think it's sort of becoming a go to move for most here to completely disregard the notion of doing anything in Free Agency. Which is ironic considering that Brez is still in the Front Office.

Rhodes/Waynes/Alexander/Griff/Joseph/Reiff...Maybe 3 on that list at the very most will return. 2 is far more likely. 1 is a distinct possibility. That's a decent chunk of change Barrnone, JimmyinSD et al. And yes, Jor El, I do believe Rick & Mike will let most of them walk rather than giving them the standard Jared Allen/Adrian Peterson overextension.

So why wouldn't Minnesota be able to go after Glasgow or McGovern? I'm not talking Thuney-level guys. A Tier 2 FA LG would be a massive upgrade from Elf.

But that has to be accomplished by drafting a Tackle. I'm not risking my livelihood on Hill at LT, Udoh at RT w/ O'Neill sliding to LT, Samia stepping up, etc.

If Jones is gone and Jackson is graded lower then trade down unless Blacklock or Fulton or another highly rated CB is there. Late 1st or Early 2nd is still a prime spot to potentially land Jackson or someone else. Plus the extra pick(s) can be used to continue to shore up the Defense.

There's a lot of different ways the team can go to fix the Line. Free Agency is legitimately one of them in spite of how the Salary Cap currently looks.
not sure why you get so twisted on the issue.... like you said yourself.  Lots of different ways and until they start the wheels moving by actually clearing cap space, you cant really count on or discount any 1 particular theory.  I've seen a lot of theories that start with Reiff getting redone... that IMO is about the least likely of all scenarios considering the position,  what he is currently making,  and his age coming off a pretty decent year overall.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@FSUVike said:
@"BarrNone55" said:

But that has to be accomplished by drafting a Tackle. I'm not risking my livelihood on Hill at LT, Udoh at RT w/ O'Neill sliding to LT, Samia stepping up, etc.

not sure why you get so twisted on the issue.... like you said yourself.  Lots of different ways and until they start the wheels moving by actually clearing cap space, you cant really count on or discount any 1 particular theory.  I've seen a lot of theories that start with Reiff getting redone... that IMO is about the least likely of all scenarios considering the position,  what he is currently making,  and his age coming off a pretty decent year overall.
Using deductive reasoning based on how Brez and Rick have operated in the past is hardly 'twisted'. Your stubborn assertions that KC's contract will permanently prevent the team from improving may be a better fit for that description. 

Quote: @FSUVike said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@FSUVike said:
@"BarrNone55" said:

Using deductive reasoning based on how Brez and Rick have operated in the past is hardly 'twisted'. Your stubborn assertions that KC's contract will permanently prevent the team from improving may be a better fit for that description. 
I am basing my assertions off facts,  what he is currently owed and what he has said regarding his feelings towards contract negotiations and getting the most he can,  which he has shown with the exception of Picking the Vikes over the Jets,  but that wasnt that big of a fall off if you factor in quality of life in Minny vs NYC.  you are assuming that he will have a change of heart,  which he might,  but I have fact on my side.

And this is about OL,  which a whole nuther matter.