Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who from this list is going back-up KC in 2020?

if hes  a known commodity... we cant afford him.

Anybody know what Wally the beer man is up to these days?  He might come cheap enough.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:

Anybody know what Wally the beer man is up to these days?  He might come cheap enough.

[Image: Wally-McNeil.jpg]

Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:

[Image: Wally-McNeil.jpg]

Wally the celebrity beer man!

I would love to see them sign Marcus Mariota and then draft Jalen Hurts!

I am hesitant to extend Cousins because that is going to cost 31 to 35 mil per year and put a large dent in the salary cap going forward.

You may be able to get Mariota for 7 to 9 mil per year on a 2 year deal.

It will require some cap gymnastics but it is doable.

Getting Mariota to agree is the long shot.

One name not on the list that the Vikings might check out is Brock Osweiler.

Kubiak loved him in Denver and did not want him to go the Texans.

Don't be surprised if Kubiak talks him out of retirement.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/01/29/brock-osweiler-reflects-on-broncos-super-bowl-texans-contract-early-retirement

From the start of the 2012 season to late in ’15, Osweiler served as Manning’s backup, and he treated the position as a full-time apprenticeship. He never told Manning this, but he took notes during every meeting, scribbling down whatever Manning said, studying the legend closely, examining his cadence, command and presence.
Osweiler’s chance came in November 2015, as Manning’s body began to fail him. The Broncos had fallen behind the Chiefs in Denver, and Manning had thrown his fourth interception early in the third quarter. Denver’s first-year head coach, Gary Kubiak, tapped Osweiler on the shoulder as he studied images on an iPad. “Hey, Peyton’s done,” he said. “You’re in.”
Osweiler was ready. He knew the stakes, especially after a Broncos assistant had told him, “When Peyton is done playing, my job security is in your hands.” He started at Chicago the next week, on his 25th birthday, against one of the league’s most feared defenses, and threw for 250 yards and two scores in a victory. “I just remember my heart racing so fast, like it was just gonna beat out of my body,” Erin says.
In Pittsburgh four weeks later, Steelers linebacker Ryan Shazier drove Osweiler into the turf on the last series of the first half, separating his throwing shoulder. Osweiler didn’t come out. Instead, he asked Kubiak not to call handoffs to the right, because the momentum of the running back sent excruciating pain through his left arm. At halftime he took a shot to numb it and finished the game. Despite the injury, Osweiler won five of his seven starts, completed 61.8 percent of his passes and threw 10 touchdowns compared with six interceptions. He brought the Broncos back from a two-touchdown deficit against the Bengals on a Monday night. He threw for 270 yards in a Sunday-night overtime win over the Patriots, a key victory in securing home field advantage throughout the playoffs. He walked into Shanahan’s Steakhouse in Denver one night to a standing ovation. Many of those cheering were calling for the once unthinkable, begging for Osweiler to finish out the season, for the Broncos to keep Manning on the bench. The best stretch of Osweiler’s life had yielded serious sports talk chatter that he might “Wally Pipp” old Manning, replacing him the way Tom Brady did Drew Bledsoe.
Instead, Kubiak benched him in the second half of the regular-season finale against the Chargers, after Osweiler had thrown for 232 yards but had two passes intercepted. Even now, four years later, he describes that moment as “terrible” and “devastating.”
Still, he remains forever grateful to Kubiak. The coach called Osweiler into his office and hugged him for 10 seconds that night, then said, “I love you like a son, and I’m so proud of you.” Osweiler broke down, sobbing in Kubiak’s arms. Kubiak tried to comfort him, noting that he had spent most of his career backing up Elway. Then he pointed to the fridge. “That’s filled with beers,” he said. “Have as many as you want.” Osweiler pounded “several” in a row—he can’t recall how many—showered, changed, and did his press conference.
“All I know is I wouldn’t have that ring without him,” Kubiak says.
For weeks, Elway didn’t call. Kubiak did, telling him, “Dude, I know you’re our guy,” and “I want to coach you for a long time.” The quarterback’s agents eventually told him not to answer any call from Elway after a certain cutoff date near the start of free agency. Osweiler wishes he hadn’t listened. While out at dinner one night, he saw Elway’s number blink across his home screen. His thumb lingered over the “talk” button, but he let it go. Elway left a message, saying he wanted to come to Scottsdale and talk. He sent an offer to CAA: three years, $39 million.

Osweiler decided against coaching, scouting or broadcasting for now. He doesn’t need the money, and all of those pursuits would eat too heavily into his newfound free time. Maybe down the road. He will not play football again other than in the NFL; he won’t risk a broken neck to throw a few XFL touchdowns. “I’m NFL or bust,” he says, knowing that bust remains the most likely option. He’s not expecting a team to call, but he would answer if one did.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yeah, I would not be surprised or disappointed if Kubiak brought Osweiler back.  He wont be expensive and is better than Mannion (at least a little bit).

I keep getting Osweiler mixed up with Paxton Lynch. Bronco busts are blurring.

Vikings may choose to sign Mannion again. Continuity. Cheap. Another possibility is bringing Trevor Siemian back. I think we have to forget about names like Mariota, et al. Vikings backup in '20 will either be an early round draft pick (unlikely) or a cheap (read: CHEAP) veteran.