Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Worth Keeping An Eye On
Quote: @suncoastvike said:
Henry nearly pulled off the... all you need is a stud running back and a defense trick.
I still can't see wrapping that much cap into a RB though.

I'm getting more and more jaded on paying RB's and WR's.  Tying up so much salary in these positions leave scraps for the most valuable...IMHO...positions, the O & D lines.  No disrespect intended to these fine athletes, but they are easier to replace every April and their development curve is faster.

As much as I enjoy watching Cook when he is healthy, it just does not seem to make sense to pay him top of the market $ when we are going to run Kubiaks system which has shown to make average talent at RB look outstanding and productive.   I would rather invest the money in the Oline to help Cousins and open holes for whoever our RBs May be.   Look at what the Niners did with Mostert, Coleman, Breida  etc.

Quote: @Magnus10 said:
As much as I enjoy watching Cook when he is healthy, it just does not seem to make sense to pay him top of the market $ when we are going to run Kubiaks system which has shown to make average talent at RB look outstanding and productive.   I would rather invest the money in the Oline to help Cousins and open holes for whoever our RBs May be.   Look at what the Niners did with Mostert, Coleman, Breida  etc.
and that was with a weaker QB who was throwing to weaker receivers.  I give Kittle the nod at TE,  but other than that it was just the OL and scheme.

[Image: Arizona-Cardinals.png]
Speaking Friday morning on 98.7 Arizona Sports, Cardinals GM Steve Keim said cutting David Johnson is "not an option."Keim added that "you can't have just one back." The long-time Cardinals workhorse was essentially benched last season, fighting for scraps down the stretch behind trade acquisition Kenyan Drake. While Drake is headed for free agency, there appears to be mutual interest in a reunion. The reality is Johnson's exorbitant salary in 2020 makes him near impossible to release (it would leave behind a whopping $16.2 million in dead money) and similarly difficult to trade. Slowed by injuries and ineffectiveness, the declining 28-year-old has slumped to a pedestrian 3.6 yards per carry since breaking out for a career-best 20 touchdowns in 2016.

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
Speaking Friday morning on 98.7 Arizona Sports, Cardinals GM Steve Keim said cutting David Johnson is "not an option."Keim added that "you can't have just one back." The long-time Cardinals workhorse was essentially benched last season, fighting for scraps down the stretch behind trade acquisition Kenyan Drake. While Drake is headed for free agency, there appears to be mutual interest in a reunion. The reality is Johnson's exorbitant salary in 2020 makes him near impossible to release (it would leave behind a whopping $16.2 million in dead money) and similarly difficult to trade. Slowed by injuries and ineffectiveness, the declining 28-year-old has slumped to a pedestrian 3.6 yards per carry since breaking out for a career-best 20 touchdowns in 2016.
I cant help but think we will be reading the same story about the Vikings in a year or two if the team commits to Cook with a big money deal.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
I cant help but think we will be reading the same story about the Vikings in a year or two if the team commits to Cook with a big money deal.
One cautionary tale after another...hell, Antonio Gibson might not even get drafted and he could be an extremely productive RB...