Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So IMO, best case scenario is a 3 year turnaround rebuild
Going to need a new coaching staff....that means new offense/defense, new terminology. The offensive line needs talent. The team needs to draft a QB. This will all take some time to not only do but to implement. Get rid of guys like Harrison Smith (sad to say). Get out from under Cousins cap hits. But this whole process has to start at some point before year's end if they want the smallest timetable/best case scenario. Dump some vets this year for picks/salary dumps, that's Phase One. I can't see any coaches getting canned before the end of next season, but this process can be started while they are still here. 

Of course this is all contingent on the Vikings continuing to suck and lose the next 5-7 weeks. If SOMEHOW they turn it around, its smoke and mirrors and will just delay the inevitable. 

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
Going to need a new coaching staff....that means new offense/defense, new terminology. The offensive line needs talent. The team needs to draft a QB. This will all take some time to not only do but to implement. Get rid of guys like Harrison Smith (sad to say). Get out from under Cousins cap hits. But this whole process has to start at some point before year's end if they want the smallest timetable/best case scenario. Dump some vets this year for picks/salary dumps, that's Phase One. I can't see any coaches getting canned before the end of next season, but this process can be started while they are still here. 

Of course this is all contingent on the Vikings continuing to suck and lose the next 5-7 weeks. If SOMEHOW they turn it around, its smoke and mirrors and will just delay the inevitable. 
I think you're probably right, although it could be done in two years depending on who is this years draft pick. A qb that is able to scramble more effectively makes an OL better...I'm really concerned about the interior DL and LB's not named Eric Kendricks. The guys in this years class need to be hits and next years as well in order for a rebuild to be successful sooner. If not, then boy are we in trouble

Sticky, good assessment. I disagree on one key point: "this process can be started while they (current coaches)  are still here". I think the current coaches will work towards keeping their jobs, and therefore make decisions with a short-term view. Will they put young players like Udoh, Cleveland, and Watts in the lineup for on-job training even though it means they will be less likely to win? No.

The elephant in the room you aren't mentioning is the GM. Is Spielman's fate tied to Zimmer? IMO Spielman should be removed before a rebuild because he clearly can't pick a QB, and he has ignored key areas of the team. But he's popular and the Wilfs seem to like him, so who knows..

It could certainly take a # of seasons...I just dont know how much they'll evolve vs blow-things up?

I'm sure they dont yet either and they shouldn't, its just too early. 

The issue as I see it is KC is a good qb, but he certainly hasn't played well this year. He needs a good rg to feed the play-action, he needs good pass pro and a D that will keep them close. The weakness in the middle of the OL is a FATAL FLAW in the Vikings O. QB's hate pressure up the middle. Losing Diggs throws gas on the embers. 

What grade would you give the Vikings Org for giving KC what he needs to succeed???

I'm still suffering with whip-lash.

I figured a bit of a step-back in 20 and strong contender in 21. Now when I look at how poorly many of these guys are playing? I struggle to find enough good players on the roster. Makes you question scheme/coaching too. 

I am reading that many draft pundits are saying Trevor Lawrence is the best QB prospect since Andrew Luck.  If they're going to suck this year? Make it an epic suck.

[Image: stock-photo-man-with-neck-brace-after-wh...440464.jpg]

A 3 year turnaround to get to what level?

I think it would horribly foolish to think that this is our
young players peak right now.  We’ve just
drafted two corners high in the draft, and we’ve got two other corners that
have minimal playing time and need seasoning. 
Similarly, I don’t think it makes sense to judge Jefferson yet.

I don’t think our DLine of the last two weeks represents our
roster DLine.  A DLine of Ngakoue and 3 scrubs
is way different than Hunter, Pierce, Ngakoue and 1 scrub.  That assumes we’re going to resign Ngakoue.

I think if our CB situation is figured out by young guys
getting experience, our whole situation looks manageable and the turnaround to playoff
caliber football is minimal.  I think if
we had invested something in getting a legit option at one of the guard spots, we’d
be having completely different conversations right now.  I think our path to playoff caliber football
in 2021 is get one stud OG or two starting caliber OGs and add an impact player
to our defense.  I think we generally
need 4 of the 5 OLineman at least starting caliber, and replacing Reiff with Cleveland
is an assumption that you’d want to offset with something more sure at guard.

If you’re thinking of a SB contending team, I don’t think Cousins
cuts it, but I don’t think most QBs cut it. 
I think you’d need to draft a top option somewhere down the line and
hope that they work out.  Drafting a SB
caliber QB is as more luck than skill, so I don’t punish the team for that.

If you're aiming at a 3-year turnaround, best case is being competitive in 2022 (counting this season as year 1 in plan). So who from the current roster is key to keep? Below is my thinking, others have suggested?

(After each player is their age at beginning of 2022 season.)
Definitely keep:
Brian O'Neill, 27Justin Jefferson, 23Dalvin Cook, 27Irv Smith, 24
Danielle Hunter, 27
Yannick Ngakoue, 27Eric Kendricks, 30
Adam Thielen, 32  (I know he is an outlier but I personally see him as a Viking for life...)

Keep If Development Continues Well:
Garrett Bradbury, 27Ezra Cleveland, 24Oli Udoh, 25
Alexander Mattison, 24
Ifeadi Odenigbo, 28Michael Pierce, 29
Eric Wilson, 27
Mike Hughes, 25Jeff Gladney, 24Cameron Dantzler, 24
Holton Hill, 25
Move On From:
Kyle Rudolph, 32
Anthony Barr, 30Harrison Smith, 33Anthony Harris, 30Riley Reiff, 33+Anyone not mentioned.

I couldn't argue with much of that bucketing...I sure as hell hope a lot of that draft capital in that middle bucket moves up. I do have big doubts about Hughes - he hasn't been the same since those nasty injuries. 

I'd try to keep Harris if they are going to show Dirty Harry the door. 

The whole short term, win now, we're so close fantasy is finally looking like the house of cards it's always been.   Now that it's collapsing who gets to clean up the mess, the same guys who made it?   The owner needs to pull his head out of his ass and wake up.   Otherwise I guarantee that no matter how many games we lose this year, Zim and Rick will be back next year doing it all over again.