Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cook Doesn't Seem To Be Headed To A Holdout
Despite sensible arguments here, can't you see the big Cook deal coming from a mile away with this organization?   It's so obviously a part of their m.o. - hanging on to "their guys" and overpaying them.   It's not a path to a championship but it's... something.   Not sure what.   Ownership's muddle-headed notion of how to win maybe.

Organization might be changing drastically within a year...

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@Canthony said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Canthony said:
@MaroonBells said:
@Canthony said:
@MaroonBells said:
@Canthony said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:
@JimmyinSD said:
what just makes me smack my head is that we arent even a decade removed from being handcuffed by our last over priced RB.   It was discussed ad nauseum about how spending top money on a RB doesnt make good financial sense in the NFL where a quality OL can make an average back look all pro.  Cook is a damn good back,  but put that money in to the OL and you will see any back perform at a similar level and will be able to afford several of them with money left over for other areas.

honestly I am not sure why anybody with pro aspirations would want to play RB, shortest careers of any position and its becoming pretty widely accepted that they arent worth their big dollar contracts.
Sucks that we keep drafting so well. 

I disagree that "any back" would perform at a similar level. However, I do think the Cook contract is worthy of debate. Grab a 4th round back from the draft and with him, Mattison and Boone, you could easily duplicate what the 49ers had this year. Mostly, I just want to wait and see what Cook does in 2020 behind what should be a much better line. And it's not like we have to make that decision this off season. 

if only they could harness that RB draft momentum and use it to fix more pressing areas of need.... for the last decade.
Well, we've also had a lot of bad luck on the line, losing Loadholt, who, remarkably, is still 4 years younger than either Jason Peters or Whitworth. Then there was that guy all set to start who had the brain thing. Some bad decisions (Remmers) and picks (Elflein, Beavers) as well. Thought Elflein might be more in the bad luck category. Dude won the Rimington for Chrissakes. Not sure what's up his ass. 

For the most part, I wouldn't bother with OL picks on day three (maybe Udoh will break that). And don't waste a 1st rounder on OL either. But every damn year, use one day two pick on an OL. 
and when you get behind,  like they are now,  they need to double down.   Rick can think taking 1 player a year at OL will dig him out of the hole they are in.  Unfortunately we have multiple areas of need right now,  and with the cap being where it is... they are going to really need to pull a rabbit out of their ass IMO to get this team back in the playoff hunt next year.
I think the OL is better shape going into '20 than it's been in some time. If you really think it's in a hole that requires climbing out from, I have a feeling this offseason is really going to piss you off. 

It wouldn't surprise me TOO much if the Vikings go into '20 with their existing line, albeit reshuffled--O'Neill, Reiff (or Samia), Bradbury, Kline, Udoh (or Collins) and then spend whatever resources they have on holes elsewhere. Plenty to choose from. 
I've gotten used to being pissed off.  Going back to Barr over Donald and a few other times when they have ignored talent on the lines for other positions.
Also, no one could have expected Donald to be that big of a monster
Um...
Did you really see multiple defensive player of the year awards and for him to be THIS dominant. I didn't and he wouldn't have lasted all the way to 13th if people did. He would have went #1 overall if anyone had that insight. 
I said many times that if I had the #1 pick, I would've taken Donald. Over Clowney. Over everyone. We had pages long debates on the topic. Most opponents arguing that we already had our 3T, a worthy point. Or that Donald was too small and couldn't beat double teams, a ridiculous point, to which I responded showing clips of him beating triple teams.

I only wish this board archived threads. You'd see me saying that Treadwell was the most overrated WR in the draft, that Diggs, Grady Jarrett and Kenny Golladay were a late round steals, that Marcus Peters was a better corner than Trae Waynes. That Patrick Mahomes, George Kittle, and Dak Prescott were underrated, and Dehon Kizer and Mitch Trubisky were overrated. That Teddy Bridgewater was the best QB in the '14 draft and Johnny Manziel would be playing in Canada in 3 years. 

'Course...I was wrong about a few too, but we won't get into that. :-)
Fair enough lol. I was on board with Floyd as our 3T. I was DEAD wrong on Treadwell, but I still say his freak nasty injury is alot of the reason why. I was on board with Peters over Waynes as well. I really liked Mahomes as well. I wsa on board with Diggs but didn't like Dak and thought he was just average
I believe my arguement for taking Donald even though we had Floyd was we had Chester Taylor (who had just run for 1000 yards) when we took AD.   When you get a chance to take a truly dominant generational type player,  you do,  no matter who you already have on your roster.

Taylor was 29 at the start of the season. Peterson was just a freak and proved many times over in college. I guess I have never liked that argument due to Chester's age at the start of the 2007 season. Floyd had just turned 23 at the start of the season and we invested a 1st round pick in him. He was showing great promise before his knee. I believe he would have dominated as well next to Joseph. Just my opinion. No one saw that knee going the way it did. 
Taylor was a low mileage 29,  Floyd was a slow starter,  he flashed a little but there were plenty of questions on him after his rookie campaign,  nobody was comfortable with him at our 3T after that rookie year,  IIRC some were even throwing the bust word out there his rookie year (and not the type that go in canton.)
Low Millage 29 year old versus a 21 year phenom. Not really a comparison IMO.