Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OT: HBO's The Watchmen
Anyone watching this? You really need to have read the graphic novels or at least watched the movie from 10 years ago to fully grasp it. Its an interesting take on it, I'm liking it. 

On a sidenote: are any of you aware of the 1921 Tulsa race riots? Its an actual event and I had no idea it happened before this series. Its f@#$ing unbelievable. I was never taught this in school or college:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulsa_race_riot

As for the show, I tried to get into it... but, even after having watched the original movie, I was still confused.  When I watch TV these days, I do it to stop thinking... not increase it.  So I gave up on the show.

As for the massacre, I wondered if that was an actual event or not... but then I forgot to look it up.  Now I have (at a different site than Wiki), and it is just awful.  Unbelievable- to me- that people can treat other people that way.  This country certainly does have a horrific history of these kinds of events.  I just can't fathom the kind of thinking that a person must have to do this to a fellow human being.  But, considering that this was less than a 100 years ago (and not EVER talked about), I can understand why some African Americans have such a high level of distrust of white people.  These events- as painful as they are to bring to light- really should be taught: so that (white) people can see how horrible these past of acts of racism were, and- hopefully- learn from them: to not act (or think) like that again.

As an aside: it appears that all of this started with a false allegation of wrongdoing (by a white girl vs. a black man).  Another lesson that can (and should) be learned from this event is that "we" really should wait until all the facts come out, regardless of who is being accused.  We are too quick- today- to assume guilt (or innocence) based on various personal beliefs, rather than on facts.  I know that that's probably asking too much... but a guy can dream.

I bought the original Watchmen comic books when they first came out.  The movie was a big disappointment.  The new series is incredibly good how to weaves together the original comic books with a new story line (that also pulls from the true historical record).  I can see how it would be hard for someone not familiar with the comic books to get confused (Vietnam is the 51st state, for instance), but it is filled with unexpected twists and thought provoking ideas.  I think it is the best thing on TV right now.

Even if not a fan, worth it to watch the first episode just for the re-enactment of the Tulsa massacre -- a true event in our history.

Quote: @"VikingOracle" said:
I bought the original Watchmen comic books when they first came out.  The movie was a big disappointment.  The new series is incredibly good how to weaves together the original comic books with a new story line (that also pulls from the true historical record).  I can see how it would be hard for someone not familiar with the comic books to get confused (Vietnam is the 51st state, for instance), but it is filled with unexpected twists and thought provoking ideas.  I think it is the best thing on TV right now.

Even if not a fan, worth it to watch the first episode just for the re-enactment of the Tulsa massacre -- a true event in our history.
Yes, the movie was disappointing. No mention of the squid, etc. Its a very good series, I agree. I have a feeling that Ozymandias is Lady Trieu's father. 2 episodes left. 

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
 I have a feeling that Ozymandias is Lady Trieu's father. 2 episodes left. 
OOOOOhhhhhh, I hadn't thought of that.  Makes a lot of sense since she wants her parents around for the big event and we don't know who her father is.

I gave it a shot...enjoyed the movie...never read the comics...

Interesting episode last night. One more to go, should be a doozy. 

I hate comic books and comic-based movies. However, I'm a big civil rights history buff. What's the connection?

I have a friend who's an attorney who chooses to go live and work in a different city 3 or 4 times a year. He always chooses what I call "sleeper" cities--cities you wouldn't really think of as vacation destinations. Buffalo was one. Birmingham, Pittsburgh. He went to Tulsa last year and came back in shock over these race riots. Mostly that he, an educated man, knew nothing about them.