Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Irv...
Smith’s 51 total snaps in the game equated to 74% of total plays, the highest mark of his career. Over the past six weeks he’s been in the game for more than half of the Vikings’ offensive snaps and for more than 60% in each of the last four games.
During that six-game stretch of regular playing time, the former Alabama standout has 22 catches on 26 targets for 197 yards. Over 16 games that translates to 59 receptions and 525 yards. When targeting Smith, Cousins has a 111.1 quarterback rating (per PFF).
You won’t find too many No. 2 tight ends in the NFL producing like Smith since Aaron Hernandez’s brief NFL career in which he produced 45 receptions as a rookie and then 79 catches in 2011.
His success has been based both on performance and circumstance. Under Gary Kubiak and Kevin Stefanski’s offensive scheme, the Vikings stand way out from the rest of the NFL in their usage of big/heavy personnel packages. Per SharpFootballStats, the Vikings use 11 personnel (3WR) just 22% of the time, lowest in the NFL and 12 personnel (1RB, 2TE)on  29% of plays, 22 personnel (2RB, 2TE) on 12% (second most) and 13 personnel (1RB, 3TE) on 10% (most)
Overall Smith grades out as Pro Football Focus’s 16th (of 47) best tight end in the NFL.  The two tight ends drafted ahead of him, Denver’s Noah Fant and TJ Hockenson, are 41st and 35th, respectively.
“He made a good read on the touchdown catch and every day I see him getting better, coming out and running better routes…I think it’s part of the process of becoming more reliable,” Zimmer said
https://www.skornorth.com/vikings-2/2019...r-vikings/

You can just see he's got all the tools...hard position to master as a rookie with the blocking component, the multiple formations, and hell just transitioning to the next level...he is going to be a massive weapon...future is super nova bright...he just needs a new number...

Told ya he was the best TE in the draft.  B)

Actually, I think Hock will be very good in due time. Not sure about Fant. What I like about Junior is that we didn't burn a 1st round pick to get him. Bradbury, ISJ and Mattison. Not a bad first three rounds. 

This is exactly why you don't waste a high pick on a WR next year. Would be in on way less than a third of the snaps. Gedeon might get more reps than that. Irv will eclipse Rudy next year and Bisi will be just fine as the #3 WR that can step up to the #2 when needed. He's also just a rookie with plenty of room to grow.

If just one of Samia or Udoh pans out Minnesota will have landed 5 Offensive contributors from this year's Draft.

I'll bank on Oli...would love to hear anything on him...

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
I'll bank on Oli...would love to hear anything on him...

Have you tried The Oslo Times...?  Wink B)  

It was great to see Irv get his first NFL TD yesterday...  he's going to be a good one.